Frankly, I don't even *want* a v.1.2

My Poll  

182 members have voted

1. 1. I'd like Squad to:

• Get to work on 1.2 STAT!!
    • Take a break maaaaaan! Chill!
    • #2, then #1
    • Rather than 1.2, 1.3 etc. Work on "Finalising" KSP. Squash bugs, polish etc. Done.
    • Start looking into what KSP 2.0 could look like. And tell us about it!
    • Lets hear their other project ideas! Something...non-kerbal? *gasps*
    • Some kind of weird combination of all of the above...

6 minutes ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

These poll options are frankly ridiculous

They seem alright.

Personally, I very much agree that its time to address some bugs.

I remember - 1.1 was supposed to dramatically improve wheels with unity 5 and low and behold they're one of the primary things that is borked.

I'd love it if career, the tech tree, UI, planets and kerbals behaved the way they are supposed to. Same with the klaw, the landing legs, the SAS autopilot. I'd love to see all the anomalies in working order. There are literally thousands of bugs, and each new update its like

"oh, we got these great spaceplane wheels for you and fairings and junk! Oh and we just barely got 'em working before we blasted them out the door! Stay tuned for more new features and MOAR BUGS!"

Stop, take a break, then polish this game until it becomes obvious what features are missing.

PS: Its worth noting that 1.1 is definitely a step in the right direction. I'm not unhappy with it, i'm just unhappy that features > bugs and always have been.

Edited by Violent Jeb

I want 1.2. In fact I think KSP devlopment should continue as long as funding is available for it. It can always be made better, there is no attainable "perfect" version.

As for your points:

A) I get the impression that everyone on the team loves working on KSP, in fact Ted outright said so on a squadcast not too long ago. They're free to do what they want, but I want more KSP content and they want to keep making more KSP content, so...

B) Seriously? So you'd rather play an incomplete game forever than play an incomplete game that gets more features periodically?

C) So what you're saying is you want another KSP update?

5 minutes ago, Iamsodarncool said:

I want 1.2. In fact I think KSP devlopment should continue as long as funding is available for it. It can always be made better, there is no attainable "perfect" version.

As for your points:

A) I get the impression that everyone on the team loves working on KSP, in fact Ted outright said so on a squadcast not too long ago. They're free to do what they want, but I want more KSP content and they want to keep making more KSP content, so...

B) Seriously? So you'd rather play an incomplete game forever than play an incomplete game that gets more features periodically?

C) So what you're saying is you want another KSP update?

A) Oh that's good :)

B) Weird there's no option for a complete game there...

C) No, not exactly

1 hour ago, Violent Jeb said:

PS: Its worth noting that 1.1 is definitely a step in the right direction. I'm not unhappy with it, i'm just unhappy that features > bugs and always have been.

Well until 1.0 you were playing an Early Access game. Early Access IS Features>bugs. That's the whole point.

I'm not gonna get into the whole 1.0 bug debate, again, but honestly, they have tried damn hard to please everybody with 1.1. The sheer number of bugs fixed is incredible for such a small team.

13 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Where is the option for "I wish people would stop obsessing about the next version on the forums and enjoy the one that came out 24 hours ago"?

What's stopping you from enjoying the current version and still being happy about there being another one in the future?

4 minutes ago, Noob21 said:

Main reason 1.1 took so long was optimization for the Console ports. That's really it. I mean Squad ported KSP into unity 4 in one minor update, 0.18.3/4.

We don't have any indication that was the case. Instead, we know Squad had to completely rewrite every single part of the UI, make the game work on a new physics engine and engine, redo their wheel/landing gear logic, etc.

Was a bit more than a small port.

Edited by Temeter

35 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Where is the option for "I wish people would stop obsessing about the next version on the forums and enjoy the one that came out 24 hours ago"?

Probably option #2 :D

The way the updates are done is fine. Firstly, they are free once you have the game license, so its hard to complain. Secondly, the game is designed to be modded.

Now, I think the game isn't really complete as long as it doesn't has the following built-in features :

- An overhauled Kerbin planet. There could be a lot of things to do there. Carrying passengers, cargo to the various companies (Rockomax, etc...) spaceports/cities/airfields. Improving your reputation with those companies, so you get recovery discounts when landing on/near their HQ. Stuff like that seems really doable with the game engine in its current state.

- A life support management system. Even a simple one, but I think it has to be there for educational reasons. From CO2 scrubbing and snacks level management to radiations hazard, keeping the 'nauts alive is an essential part of crewed spaceflight. Have some choice in the suits too : from a simple, cheap and light pressure suit for IVAs, to heavier and more expensive stuff for planetary EVAs.

- Make each Kerbal somehow "unique". From the moment the "courage & stupidity" skills were introduced, we all expect them to do something important. Also more variety in stuff like hair color, style... (already exists as addons again).

- A semi-realistic while playable way to deal with automated probes. RemoteTech is an interesting - while maybe excessive for some players - option. Version 1.1 is a first step towards this ; the ability to write simple programs with conditional would be very cool (basically, action groups trigerred by player-preset altitude, pressure, time conditions). Some parts like parachutes features this, so it's all about making some sort of "flight computer".

Again, I'm not worried. We have concerned developpers and a large, proactive community around them. :wink:

Edited by N_Molson

6 hours ago, Wallygator said:

I'm not sure this is still a current statement --> the bit about them NOT being a game company.  I believe they are now a spin off - they ARE now a company that develops and publishes electronic games.

A moderator might kindly step-in here for a moment to shed light on this specific issue and clarify if I or others are incorrect on this.

Squad is an active Mexican marketing company, who happens to have published a video game. They're absolutely not internally wired to be a publishing studio, even the KSP devs are sparsed around the globe. That's ludicrous.

And moderators don't work for Squad. They have no idea what goes on there.

Kerbal Space Program just got a serious upgrade with 64 bit capabilities that increases its potential so much more than what it originally had upon inception and you want things to slow down?  I hate to break it to you, bub, but if Squad felt the desire to put a cap on the game and call it good, they wouldn't have done what they did with 1.1.

And Squad does quite well taking breaks when they want to. They are hardly under the same gun developers that work for EA or Activision deal with.  You don't need to worry about that.

I would prefer people chill on talk about KSP II.  Why would you want things to stop now with KSP and have to go through a whole new game with all new bugs that would likely have to leave out features you are enjoying now?  Better to just see the game we have now improve and see upgrades for that we do not have to pay for with Season Passes or Expansion Packs.  If you really want to see KSP get better so that it becomes its own 2.0, then get the word out there and get folks to buy it.  That keeps the magic going.

I want the devs to slow down. don't stop, let KSP continue to get better, but slow your roll guys. A decent update every year or sp is fine for me, so long as both

A) Major bugs are addressed before release

B) Bugs get fixed by small hotfixes every other month or so.

6 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Well until 1.0 you were playing an Early Access game. Early Access IS Features>bugs. That's the whole point.

I'm not gonna get into the whole 1.0 bug debate, again, but honestly, they have tried damn hard to please everybody with 1.1. The sheer number of bugs fixed is incredible for such a small team.

okay.. we've had 2 updates since then.. so your point?

and don't bring up EA if you don't want to talk about it. EA should be features=bugs but some people enjoy the state of gaming today. 

I think they should chain the dev's to their terminals and only feed them if they squash bugs or develop new features...

Seriously I think for the cost of the game and the free updates and continued development the community is getting excellent value for money. 

My personal feeling is that all the people behind the game have pushed very hard to get 1.1 out and deserve some time out.  I also think whatever they plan to do in time is going to be great.

Why are people so convinced that 2.0 is a thing that's going to happen any time soon?  [Based on the poll choice]  If you know anything about version numbering, then you know that it goes up in sequential order: 

version-example.png

This means that if KSP goes at the rate it usually goes at, then It's probably going to be quite a while.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.