1.1.0 - Crash after launching vessel in VAB then can't launch game

Version: Linux 1.1.0 x64

Operating system: Mint 17.1 KDE

Mods used:

Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.0.2

SpaceY Heavy Lifters 1.12.1

ModuleManager 2.6.21 (included with SpaceY)

I'm having a weird issue where my computer is unable to open any of my KSP installs, regardless of version, as it won't do anything when I click the executable. This I don't think is a KSP glitch, but I got here through a series of game crashes first.

I was re-entering the atmosphere early on in my hard career mode, my vessel flipped over and burned up and I had to redesign a new one. I built essentially a stack of FL-T200s with a Swivel engine on it. That was too tall so I offset it into the pod a tiny bit until it was small enough for the tier 1 launchpad. Pressed launch with Jeb and two tourists inside and the game crashed.

...this is where I didn't make a copy KSP.log before starting it again. I did scroll through and saw a lot of stuff about wheel modules not working or something when the game was loading.

Load to menu, open save, click on vessel sitting on launchpad, crash again.

Open game again, it loads about 100 pixels tall and I can't click on anything. I tried to resize the window and it snapped to show just the window bar at the top and wouldn't budge again. Closed KSP.

Open AGAIN, it instantly loads into the unusable window bar thing and won't work.

Getting desperate, I removed all my mods and tried to launch on both x86 and x64, neither of them actually did anything when I clicked them, nor showed up as a process in system monitor. I rebooted my computer, redownloaded KSP, copied from my SSD to my HDD and still got nothing. This is probably an issue on mine rather than KSP's side but the game crash before this happened did make me suspicious.

Last-minute update before posting: I did get KSP to open by running it as root from the command line, and it doesn't crash on loading the vessel. I blame the computer.

Windowed mode is thoroughly borked ATM. Some things to try:
Remove ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/prefs, restart game. Possibly remove settings.cfg too.
Do above, then set resolution to actual screen size & fullscreen = true in settings.cfg, live with fullscreen.
Manually enter one pixel less than required / screen resolution in the above prefs file, then chmod -w to keep it from being overwritten (anecdotal evidence).

On 20/04/2016 at 5:21 AM, GloriousWater said:

I did get KSP to open by running it as root from the command line, and it doesn't crash on loading the vessel. I blame the computer.

Likely because prefs is in your home directory, but it's looking in roots home directory when run as root. P.S. don't run games as root, ever. Now that you have, check ownership on any files it may have written in the KSP directory.

Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.