Dres Awareness Society

WillThe84th

Welcome to the Dres Awareness Society!

maxresdefault.jpg

Here you can post things about Dres express love for Dres or just do anything to help spread the word about Dres. 

Some people out there just don't like Dres, and we need to show them that Dres is a great planet too. 

So please help to support Dres. Show Dres that you love it, and spread awareness about Dres. 

I like to believe that us at the Dres Awareness Society do not love Dres more than the other planets, but we just think that all planets deserve equality and that Dres has been cheated out of the equality it deserves.

@SpaceplaneAddict made a very cool challenge about Dres here

Edited by WillThe84th

Dres is a wonderful place, I seriously don't see why people don't like it. Great terrain for rovers, plenty of flat space for bases, an infinite supply of asteroids for mining (especially when using K+, things are chock full of the stuff). Plus it's a good rest and refueling place for traveling to the outer system. Great all around.

Dres ... like EVE with no atmo.... Landing at ballistic speeds with no aerobraking is BAD. But I will make a visit once I probe launch over a dockable landing rig.

Can't even think about gilly or mojo until I get my harpoons back from KIS/KAS. Need something to hold me to the ground.

Alacrity

14 hours ago, Dres said:

Dres is a wonderful place, I seriously don't see why people don't like it.

"14 hours ago, Dres said:" ...there's something fishy going on here, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Oh well, my matter conversion bomb is on it's way to Dres now, so whatever it is, it's about to be converted into pure energy along with a certain angry space spud.  Fortunately, I didn't have to use a full-size bomb, the "small muns, asteroids, large rocks, and angry space potatoes" version has enough yield to accomplish the demolition.  Saved me a few space bucks, let me tell you.

Free drinks and eye safety goggles at the Astronaut Complex, everybody!

14 hours ago, Dres said:

Great terrain for rovers, plenty of flat space for bases, an infinite supply of asteroids for mining (especially when using K+, things are chock full of the stuff).  Plus it's a good rest and refueling place for traveling to the outer system. Great all around.

Vall says hi.  It's prettier, more interesting, has more flat places for bases, and is a great place to refuel IN the outer system.  Dres is an angry space potato that has almost no Oberth effect, so you're only saving about 900m/s out of about 4900 with pure orbital transfer (no aerobraking or orbital assistance).  WITH aerobraking and/or orbital assistance, it flips completely around, with about 2000 required for a direct injection (Ker->Jool is ~2000m/s injection burn) only, vs about 4100 for a stopover at Dres (since no aero or assist at Dres, it's about 2500 injection and 1600 capture).

So just go directly to Vall, as you'll probably want ISRU there anyhow if your ultimate destination is the Jool sub-system.

When going to Eeloo, it's best just to launch directly from Kerbin rather than stooging around in the outer system with very long windows (it's cheaper than a Dres stopover for the same reason - that initial Dres stage will always be 4100 and Eeloo is like 3600 from LKO).

Well, i have visited the Dresteroids once. But never been to Dres itself, not closer than some 2000 klicks.
It`s about time for me to participate at the Dres-love-campaign, i feel becoming guilty if not doing so.:confused:

I think i tug a Dresteroid to a really close orbit around Dres and install a Dres surface observation Base on it!:D

Is this enough Dreslove?

54 minutes ago, Mikki said:

Well, i have visited the Dresteroids once. But never been to Dres itself, not closer than some 2000 klicks.
It`s about time for me to participate at the Dres-love-campaign, i feel becoming guilty if not doing so.:confused:

I think i tug a Dresteroid to a really close orbit around Dres and install a Dres surface observation Base on it!:D

Is this enough Dreslove?

Yeah, definitely.

56 minutes ago, max_creative said:

What about skycraning a class E? That will almost definitely get you in.

True, giving Dres true love from another rock!
This sounds like a serious job for me, i will take a try this weekend...:)

...wait a moment, class E dresteroid? OMG, this is a job for me.:0.0:

Edited by Mikki

KAN magazine will be funding a mission to Dres this weekned and will donate the contract money to the Dres Awareness Society for charity. :D

Thanks

Edited by HMIC

I actually just did 2 missions to Dres and found that you save quite a bit of delta-V by getting a Jool gravity assist. 

Sure your initial burn is a bit larger, but using Jool you can 'circularize' your solar orbit quite a lot, making the subsequent Dres insertion burn much much easier! I think this route can save 1000m/s. 

Dres has a very nice  Biome map too, compared to, say, Duna (which is very underwhelming. .. not a single unique geological feature). 

Edited by Martijn404

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.