Dres Awareness Society

WillThe84th

So far, what I'm hearing is:

1) Visit the Grand Canyon!

2) Roughly Mun sized, so pretty easy to land and return on.

3) Bit expensive transfer and capture costs due to lack of atmosphere, but lots of asteroids around for cheap and easy ISRU  probably.

4) Fewer transfer windows due to being relatively close.

Aside from the calorie-free whoohoos, what would you put on the postcards to really encourage people to visit?

37 minutes ago, suicidejunkie said:

So far, what I'm hearing is:

1) Visit the Grand Canyon!

2) Roughly Mun sized, so pretty easy to land and return on.

3) Bit expensive transfer and capture costs due to lack of atmosphere, but lots of asteroids around for cheap and easy ISRU  probably.

4) Fewer transfer windows due to being relatively close.

Aside from the calorie-free whoohoos, what would you put on the postcards to really encourage people to visit?

Were not necessarily trying to get people to visit, first we just want people to stop hating on Dres. 

2 hours ago, EliasDanger said:

Ill stop hating on Dres when its spokesman stops way overposting in the forum games section.

I'll stop hating on Dres when it's no longer an angry space potato.  @Alshain is totally correct: it's a Mun for people who want to spend more fuel and time (and hassle) to get there.

I've landed there at least once unmanned and once manned, and I really do think it doesn't have anything to offer.  It's roughly the same gravity and radius as Ike (slightly smaller than the Mun), pretty much looks like the Mun or Ike and has no atmosphere or anything.

The other planets all have stuff that makes them more interesting:

• Jool has it's own sub-system of muns and is the only gas giant.
  • Eeloo is far away, icy, and has that interesting criss-cross of canyons.
  • Duna has an atmosphere and is significantly larger than Ike/Dres/Mun.  Also it has Ike.  And also a canyon system.
  • Eve is.. scary gravity planet with scary thick atmosphere and has... some sort of fluid on the surface, and Gilly.
  • Moho is deep in the gravity well, and is Duna-sized (Duna Jr) but without an atmosphere.

Also if Dres is supposed to represent Ceres, it's way too big.  Ceres in KSP terms would be somewhat smaller than Minmus (although not as small as Gilly).  If KSP ever got double-planet capability, making two Ceres-ish style things in orbit of each other to replace Dres would be pretty cool.  Alternatively, making it Ceres-ish and then giving it some ultra-light muns (Gillys) to fling the Drestroids about would be interesting too.  Or give it some sort of atmosphere.  Anything!

Ya'know, I think a once saw a mod that added a moon of rainbow happiness in orbit of Dres, made it very exciting. You had to navigate carefully, in order to avoid the Nyan Cats everywhere. Think it was called "Spud". But yeah, to be honest, it is a big Mun. However, I like none the less for that. It does its best, and is kinda the overlooked sibling, banished between the inner and outer systems, forgotten long ago. Kinda sad. :( 

(Plus, It acts as the perfect place to launch an attack and take over the Kerbol system! Nobody expects a thing, they don't even know it exists!) *Ahem* You saw nothing

Edited by Dres

2 minutes ago, Dres said:

Ya'know, I think a once saw a mod that added a moon of rainbow happiness in orbit of Dres, made it very exciting. You had to navigate carefully, in order to avoid the Nyan Cats everywhere. Think it was called "Spud". But yeah, to be honest, it is a big Mun. However, I like none the less for that. It does its best, and is kinda the overlooked sibling, banished between the inner and outer systems, forgotten long ago. Kinda sad. :( 

(Plus, It acts as the perfect place to launch an attack and take over the Kerbol system! Nobody expects a thing, they don't even know it exists!) *Ahem* You saw nothing

Hey, your name is Dres!!!

Dres is the perfect place to launch an attack on Kerbin and the rest of the planets :)  Ahem. You saw nothing :wink: 

Just now, RA3236 said:

Hey, your name is Dres!!!

Dres is the perfect place to launch an attack on Kerbin and the rest of the planets :)  Ahem. You saw nothing :wink: 

Wow, I never noticed. :wink: You learn something new every day.

Would you like to work together in universal domination? I'll take the outer planets, and you can have the inner ones. Dres will be shared, neutral territory! *Cough cough* Excuse me, dust in the air.

Just now, Dres said:

Wow, I never noticed. :wink: You learn something new every day.

Would you like to work together in universal domination? I'll take the outer planets, and you can have the inner ones. Dres will be shared, neutral territory! *Cough cough* Excuse me, dust in the air.

Make Dres the official Dres Empire!!!  *throws up* Excuse me, I need to go now...

Note: I am not sick.

11 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

Make Dres the official Dres Empire!!! 

YES!!! WE SHALL TAKE OVER THE OTHER PLANETS AND ONCE AGAIN MAKE THE KRAKEN OBSOLETE!!! ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY LORD DRES!!! Spud! Go down and check the fortress walls and throw nyan cats at any Dres haters!!! ALL HAIL THE MIGHT LORD DRES!!!

Dres will always hold a special place in my heart.  Way back in the day (.25) I orbitaly assembled my first Jool-capable craft.  I decided that Dres would be a good test for it.

0OM92LX.png

The successful voyage to Dres and back gave me the courage to head on to Jool and continue with orbital construction.  Dres is a friend I don't visit often, but always smile when I drop by.  :)

Hello everybody!

To satisfy both the lovers and the haters of Dres (haters hate it because it's alone and boring), I propose we make a challenge/mission like the Jool 5 challenge.

You: But Deostructor, that's impossible, Dres has no Moons!

Well, have you tought of anything else Dres might have? It have a bunch of asteroids of course!

So I propose all who accept the challenge to MAKE DRES SOME MOONS.

And no, as you might have tought, not puny five moons, but SIX miniature Moons assembled from asteroids and held by klaws.

You: But Deostructor, the Moons won't be interesting!

Well of course they won't, but we'll make them interesting! There is even a possibility to make them have gravity using the centrifugal force. Just attach a few asteroids to a bigger one with long, KAS provided ropes and spin the thing, the smaller asteroids will have gravity on one side.

So, what do you think about it? Anyone who wants to help me can apply to be a judge via PM or comment, so if enough people like the idea, I will post it the challenge thread.

Edited by Deostructor

1 hour ago, Deostructor said:

So, what do you think about it? Anyone who wants to help me can apply to be a judge via PM or comment, so if enough people like the idea, I will post it the challenge thread.

Go to Dres, grab a screenshoot for your own fun, get back without wasting Kerbals.

And if you do that (within your own rules), have a beer (or a non-alcoholic beverage).

It's that simple :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.