Dres Awareness Society

WillThe84th

Just now, WillThe84th said:

Still less than Eve. Although, landing on Dres in this mod would really only be for the bold, it has two moons as well.

I'm still working on a lander design, you need a lot of thrust and a very efficient descent.

I don't know if both of these sources are wrong but this handy dandy app on my phone and the wiki say Eve has a surface gravity of 1.7. so I don't know if you have your fact wrong

2 minutes ago, Jhawk1099 said:

I don't know if both of these sources are wrong but this handy dandy app on my phone and the wiki say Eve has a surface gravity of 1.7. so I don't know if you have your fact wrong

Yes, but eve has an incredibly thick atmosphere, meaning more drag and lower ISP.

Dres has none. (I might add a thin one though)

Edited by WillThe84th

2 hours ago, WillThe84th said:

I don't remember it ever looking like that. When was it like that?

P.S: If anyone's interested in the Dres Plus mod, I made an official development thread here.

Pretty early I think. Before .17 maybe? That was from a forum post from a couple years back.

2 hours ago, WillThe84th said:

It just so happens that one of the moons of Dres has a gravity of 0.4g.

That's one of the possibilities I was hoping for :)

I'll definitely be checking your Dres mod out when it's ready.  I'm more interested in that than most places around Jool now.

2 hours ago, Jhawk1099 said:

@WillThe84th 2g might be a bit much. I am just thinking of how much delta-v would be required to take off... quite a bit

I'd say about 4400 overall if it's a vacuum world, given radius=950000 and mass=2.6523e+23 -ish.  Tylo is like 2239-ish and (airless) Eve 3637-ish by comparison.

I've heard that Eve is still like 8k or something crazy with the atmosphere present, and it's going to severely restrict your choice of engines to ones that can work at 5+ bar.

My concern for "Dres2" would center more around "would landing legs work here?".

5 hours ago, WillThe84th said:

That's a concern of mine too. I have yet to test it, since I suck at lander design.

Well, worst case scenario is try, try again heh.  @DChurchill's suggestion about girders sounds good, and  I'm currently trying out cubic octags as legs in my stock game for other destinations.  (landing legs cause phantom forces at times, which can de-orbit large stations and such.  Not very fun!)

Anyhow I look forward to the release of your Dres.  I find myself thinking of different lander designs and things to do, which tells me that it's already moved up in my "interesting places" list.  Maybe even to the top.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 1:14 AM, Avera9eJoe said:

I flew by Dres and left a probe once... it exploded on impact :( #hitandrun #sorrydres

Don't be sorry! Dres deserves that, for being so bland and grey and super boring.

#DresIsALie

Edited by electricpants

The incredibly popular hate for poor little Dres has overshadowed what a strategic planet it is. 

Dres orbits in a region smack in between Duna and Jool, two of the most popular Kerbal planets. This makes it a good rest stop during journeys either to Jool or from the other outer planets. Dres is also great for science and resources. Dres has a nice science multiplier and something like 7 biomes. It is rich in resources, either on its surface or on the nearby asteroids. The surface is also very diverse with different terrains for different missions. Rocket-powered planes could fly in Dres' canyon. Rovers can explore the lowlands and poles. Rugged, manned exploration vehicles can operate in bumpier terrain, and the midlands are great for colonies. If we had a planet like Dres in our solar system, I bet that most of Earth's main powers would be rushing to be the first on that important space potato.

(BTW, what if I would add a moon around Dres and name it "Phil the Potato"?)

2 minutes ago, electricpants said:

Also, Ceres is a left over protoplanet, which is friggin' awesome

It's also considered the largest asteroid in the solar system, so, technically, DRES IS THE ALMIGHTY KING OF THE SPACE POTATOES- I mean asteroids.

(max-creative is now following you)

That was quick

1 minute ago, electricpants said:

We were talking about Ceres being a protoplanet, and Dres, Dres just isn't a protoplanet.

Ceres is a proto-planet AND the largest asteroid, its a centaur of sorts.

I was saying Dres is a BIGGGGGG asteroid. It's special!

Edited by Obsidian_mc
Replies

2 minutes ago, WillThe84th said:

Also, compared to Kerbin/Earth Dres is much bigger than Ceres.

Go to the 3rd page in the "Dres doesn't exist" thread (Made by Felsmak, not me), and you'll see why I don't really like Dres. I don't care if you think it's not an explanation, because I don't really know why (I'm not making this up) I hate Dres.

Edited by electricpants

Just now, electricpants said:

Go to the 3rd page in the "Dres doesn't exist" thread (Made by Felsmak, not me), and you'll see why I don't really lie Dres. I don't care if you think it's not an explanation, because I don't really know why (I'm not making this up) I hate Dres.

YOU SHUT YO BOCA!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.