1.1.0 crashes instantly on load - OSX edition.

UPDATE:  It seems like this is a problem with Unity 5 and machines that run OSX - this is not an issue with KSP in and of itself.  Evidence here:  http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/our-game-no-longer-runs-on-mac-osx.395699/

UPDATE 2:  Seems this is also a problem with Linux.  Possibly an issue with Unix based systems as a whole?

Hopefully this gets some attention.

Okay, hopefully I'm doing this right, I've never submitted a bug report/otherwise before.

Information first:

• KSP version:  1.1.0
  • Crash log(s):  None, it apparently dies before being able to generate one.
  • System specifications:
    • OSX version 10.6.8
    • Processor:  2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    • Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 (It's a MacBook, no real clear graphics card)
    • System:  32 bit
  • Clean installation:  Yes, just downloaded it a half-hour ago.

What happens is, when I go to launch it (either by double-clicking on the launcher or the game itself), it starts up and than instantly quits.  The icon lasts for a fraction of a second in the dock before dying.  When it does this, nothing else happens - no crash log is generated, there's no messages from my system indicating that something terrible has happened, all that happens is that it starts up and commits seppuku virtually instantly.

Additionally, I've tried launching it through terminal commands, and the exact same thing happens.  At this point, I'm assuming this is probably a hardware related issue.  For the record, 1.0.4 and 1.0.5 run just fine.

EDIT:  Found the player.log:

Initialize engine version: 5.2.4f1 (98095704e6fe)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Thu Apr 21 20:36:17 os-xs-macbook-2.lan KSP[50168] <Error>: unknown error code: invalid pixel format attribute
Thu Apr 21 20:36:17 os-xs-macbook-2.lan KSP[50168] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
Unable to create OpenGL context format.

(Filename:  Line: 590)

invalid pixel format attribute
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Thu Apr 21 20:36:17 os-xs-macbook-2.lan KSP[50168] <Error>: unknown error code: invalid pixel format attribute
Unable to create OpenGL context format.

(Filename:  Line: 590)

invalid pixel format attribute
PlayerInitEngineGraphics: InitializeEngineGraphics failed
Failed to initialize engine graphics

Edited by MattJL
Updated information.

3 hours ago, JJE64 said:

I was having this issue too.  What solved it for me was copying my config file from 1.0.5 over to my 1.1 directory, and then it started working.  Dunno why, or what motivated me to try it, but it worked.

Ah, I'll try with the 1.0.5 config file.  I originally went for the 1.0.4 one, but maybe there's a difference that I'm not able to see.  Wouldn't surprise me, I am not a clever man!  I'll give it a shot and update accordingly.

EDIT:  No dice, still have the same problem.

Edited by MattJL

After doing some research, I came across this:  http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/our-game-no-longer-runs-on-mac-osx.395699/

It seems like the switchover to Unity 5 is causing some problems on all OSX machines (be it a total failure to load or otherwise).  There's a workaround on the dev end, as established by that post, but unfortunately it seems like we're going to have to wait - there's no simple fix on the user end.

So the blame lay squarely on Unity. :(

6 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Oh, boy.... :(

I'm running into this same issue on Linux... :(

Oh boy, I have a feeling this is a Unix-based OS issue, then.  I was originally going to report that it might be (based on non-forum anecdotal evidence), but a very big hmm.

So, I've had an afternoon of messing around, time for some updates:

1) I have since taken the 1.0.5 launcher and shifted it into my 1.1.0 root directory.  The launcher works just fine (whereas it didn't before) but when I click "Play", the game itself does the exact same thing (insta-crashes).

2) I've examined the config file that's been generated by the Frankenlauncher, but nothing strange stands out to me.  I'll dump most of the thing here (relevant data), in case I'm blind (Note:  I did tweak some settings in the launcher - mostly resolution - in hopes that it would solve the problem):

SETTINGS_FILE_VERSION = 1.0.0
TUTORIALS_EDITOR_ENABLE = False
TUTORIALS_FLIGHT_ENABLE = False
VAB_USE_CLICK_PLACE = True
VAB_USE_ANGLE_SNAP = False
VAB_ANGLE_SNAP_INCLUDE_VERTICAL = False
VAB_CAMERA_ORBIT_SENS = 0.04
VAB_CAMERA_ZOOM_SENS = 0.1
FLT_CAMERA_ORBIT_SENS = 0.04
FLT_CAMERA_ZOOM_SENS = 0.5
FLT_CAMERA_WOBBLE = 0.1
FLT_CAMERA_CHASE_SHARPNESS = 1.5
FLT_CAMERA_CHASE_USEVELOCITYVECTOR = True
FLT_VESSEL_LABELS = True
SPACENAV_CAMERA_SENS_ROT = 30
SPACENAV_CAMERA_SENS_LIN = 20
SPACENAV_CAMERA_SHARPNESS_LIN = 8
SPACENAV_CAMERA_SHARPNESS_ROT = 10
CAMERA_FX_EXTERNAL = 1
CAMERA_FX_INTERNAL = 1
SIMULATE_IN_BACKGROUND = True
PHYSICS_FRAME_DT_LIMIT = 0.04
MAX_VESSELS_BUDGET = 250
CONIC_PATCH_DRAW_MODE = 3
CONIC_PATCH_LIMIT = 3
SHOW_PWARP_WARNING = True
EVA_ROTATE_ON_MOVE = True
SPACENAV_FLIGHT_SENS_ROT = 5
SPACENAV_FLIGHT_SENS_LIN = 1
KERBIN_TIME = True
CALL_HOME = False
DONT_SEND_IP = False
SEND_PROGRESS_DATA = True
CHECK_FOR_UPDATES = True
VERBOSE_DEBUG_LOG = False
SHOW_CONSOLE_ON_ERROR = False
AUTOSAVE_INTERVAL = 300
AUTOSAVE_SHORT_INTERVAL = 30
SHOW_SPACE_CENTER_CREW = True
UI_SIZE = 768
UI_OPACITY = 1
SHIP_VOLUME =0.5
AMBIENCE_VOLUME =0.5
MUSIC_VOLUME =0.8
UI_VOLUME =0.5
VOICE_VOLUME =0.5
SOUND_NORMALIZER_ENABLED =True
SOUND_NORMALIZER_THRESHOLD =1
SOUND_NORMALIZER_RESPONSIVENESS =16
SOUND_NORMALIZER_SKIPSAMPLES = 0
SCREEN_RESOLUTION_WIDTH =1024
SCREEN_RESOLUTION_HEIGHT =640
FULLSCREEN =False
QUALITY_PRESET =5
ANTI_ALIASING =2
TEXTURE_QUALITY =1
SYNC_VBL =1
LIGHT_QUALITY = 8
SHADOWS_QUALITY = 4
FRAMERATE_LIMIT =60
FALLBACK_PART_SHADERS =False
PLANET_FORCE_SHADER_MODEL_2_0 =False
PLANET_SCATTER =False
PLANET_SCATTER_FACTOR =0.5
AERO_FX_QUALITY =3
EDGE_HIGHLIGHTING_PPFX = True
SCREENSHOT_SUPERSIZE = 0
INPUT_KEYBOARD_SENSIVITITY = 2
dontShowLauncher = False
TRACKIR_ENABLED = False

3) I've unzipped the patcher (which I'm not sure works in the first place) and attempted to run it.  Insta-crash on that part, too.  Seems to be a 64-bit issue, and the fact that I think I'm running as a 32-bit machine.  I honestly don't know, this might be irrelevant to the problem.

I very recently updated from 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) to 10.11.4 (El Capitan). Painful in many respects because Snow Leopard represented the best of both worlds (PPC / Intel software), but it had to be done.

So - no dice.

I'd assume that it isn't the 32-bit machine that is the problem, but rather 10.6.8. And probably OpenGL but I can't find what can be done to force the use of OpenGL 2 (as suggested in that thread for Unity 5.3).

edit: when I say "no dice", I mean the game doesn't open at all. Maybe for a millisecond but that's it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.