Launch into Command Chair: Why is this still a thing?

Seriously, Squad, can we launch from a command chair, finally?  Yeah, I know y'all didn't want people having Jeb joyriding SRBs being easy but you made the damn buildings explodable and then lauded that as a Good Thing.  Meanwhile, I still can't launch ultralights or test rovers without rigging up some stupid contraption like this:

qT37FPT.png

Please.  Let me launch a craft that has only a command chair.  Thanks you.

I'm well aware that "There's a Mod For That(tm)".  No one cares.

Edited by regex

There's a mod for that.

I'm sorry :blush:

In all seriousness, we really do need this. It just doesn't make sense that you have to launch your kerbs inside a tin can rather than just have them drive out of the VAB/SPH in your Camaro replica.

Edited by Laythe Dweller
Corrected "Camaro"

True lol.

Its not just the pilot perspective that makes it annoying, not being able to put anyone in there pre-launch means we have to jump through the same kinds of hoops if we want to use them as passenger seats too.

And there's certainly nothing wrong with having Jeb do that.

Edited by ghpstage

2 hours ago, regex said:

Seriously, Squad, can we launch from a command chair, finally?  Yeah, I know y'all didn't want people having Jeb joyriding SRBs being easy but you made the damn buildings explodable and then lauded that as a Good Thing.  Meanwhile, I still can't launch ultralights or test rovers without rigging up some stupid contraption like this:

qT37FPT.png

Why have I never thought of trying to make an ultralight before? I applaud you, sir.

How's she fly?

Oh, and yes... *grumble grumble* make it stock already! (I have the mod for that >.>)

Edited by Fallarnon

Why the weird counterbalance thing with a decoupler? I just plop a capsule on a girder on a launch clamp and paste on a 1x1 flat panel to walk the kerbal over to the command chair.img]

Edited by gforce527

9 hours ago, regex said:

qT37FPT.png

Yes this feature is loooong overdue! Just as long as it does not break bearings like take command mod does!

2 hours ago, gforce527 said:

Why the weird counterbalance thing with a decoupler? I just plop a capsule on a girder on a launch clamp and paste on a 1x1 flat panel to walk the kerbal over to the command chair.img]

Without the counterweight the plane's front wheel would get "stuck" in the runway after falling forward, resulting in the inability to take off until the end of the runway due to all the wings being canted forward.

That's really beside the point though.  The fact that I have to hit the brakes, decouple the plane, exit the pod, and run over to the seat every time I want to test the craft after revert is what this thread is about, not our individual methods for subverting an annoying "feature".

While they're at it: please also make an IVA for the command seats.

Kerbals are now 'vessels' anyway, and IVAs in pods are treated as if the camera is sitting inside the Kerbal heads (to the point of seeing their own eyeballs :confused:), so let's give the same camera perspective option to command seats please.

Yes I fully support this. I too am tired of boarding contraptions for crew! 
(Kinda reminds me of the days when you couldn't load crew into other pods aside from the root without either having contraptions or crew manifest installed.)

6ewjsbV.jpg
go eva, board command seat, stage - pod goes flying off.  oh I didn't disable steering or brakes on front wheels, or set trim on flamps, lemme just fiddle with that for a .....oh NO! the pod's coming back down....BOOM!

VTYFpin.jpg
This was just awkward

Seriously. We're a full patch past release, and there's tons of great designs now that require kerbals in command seats (see: slick new spaceplanes using airbrakes as cockpit doors). Command seats need to be primary control parts, and launch-crewable.

56 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Funny (or maybe not so funny) thing is, the original reason for not allowing us to launch in the command seats is gone.  You can't ride an SRB into space now that heat is implemented.

With proper application of thrust limiters, you probably could...

59 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Funny (or maybe not so funny) thing is, the original reason for not allowing us to launch in the command seats is gone.  You can't ride an SRB into space now that heat is implemented.

I think the reason was more to avoid reinforcing the image of KSP as a disaster simulator (anecdotally from an interview with/post by @HarvesteR saying much the same thing) but IMO that reason has long been subverted by Squad's own advertising and the fact that they made the buildings explodable.

Edited by regex

26 minutes ago, regex said:

I think the reason was more to avoid reinforcing the image of KSP as a disaster simulator (anecdotally from an interview with/post by @HarvesteR saying much the same thing) but IMO that reason has long been subverted by Squad's own advertising and the fact that they made the buildings explodable.

That was the reason? And then the 1.0 release video?  That sounds like a brush off to me.

Just now, Alshain said:

That was the reason? And then the 1.0 release video?  That sounds like a brush off to me.

As I said, anecdotally, and I have no link to the original post, but I do recall that being a reason given back in the 0.20 days.

Oh, I didn't realize how far back it was.  I didn't even start playing till 0.21.  I always thought it was because they didn't want you using a cheap chair instead of a heavy expensive command pod (in fact, I did that once), but with heat, that isn't likely anymore.

Edited by Alshain

Seems pretty ridiculous to me, especially if it was to avoid KSP looking like a "Disaster Simulator", when in plenty of their trailers they show various comedic disasters, reinforcing the idea of a disaster simulator.  Makes creating things like jetwings, vehicles, etc.  Way more difficult.  Squad, make this feature a thing. 

4 hours ago, Alshain said:

Can still be done in 1.1.0:

25 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Can still be done in 1.1.0:

Regardless, this feature prevents players from causing mayhem and explosions in a game that otherwise allows (and almost encourages) mayhem and explosions.

IMHO the better question to ask is why Shouldn't this feature be implemented.

Luke

4 hours ago, Alshain said:

Wait.  So, that was the actual reason?  That decision making is questionable at best.

3 hours ago, regex said:

Yeah.  Launching a kerbal on an SRB seems very much in line with the current ethos. 

23 hours ago, regex said:

Well, Harv also said that adding monoprop to Kerbals in the place of EVA propellant would make 'em too heavy to walk.  *cough*

Anyhow, I definitely support being able to launch directly to the EAS chair.  Would help testing rovers and ultralight craft (air or space) immensely.   I happen to like building craft like that proposed Apollo emergency lunar launch vehicle..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.