KSP 1.1 64 bit OSX trouble

So Im on mac and I've looked through the fourms to figure out how to enable 64 bit on the Mac. what everyone keeps saying is that it is 64 bit by default but when i go into the game the performance is not improved and it is just as slow as 1.0.5 32 bit. i checked the activity monitor like some people suggested and it is labled as a 64 bit program, but is does not act like a 64 bit install due to the many lag spikes. I dont think im enabled on 64 bit, what should i do?

Thanks,

Justspace103

Hi @justspace103, it's a unified binary on Mac OSX, so it automatically runs in 64bit if it can, which your activity monitor shows.

64bit allows an application to use more than 3.5 gigabytes of RAM, but does not do anything for speed, any speed gains will be due to improvements in the software and in KSP's case that means a newer Unity engine, overhauled GUI, and new version of PhysX.

To get the most from KSP or any other software it is recommended to have as few other programs running at the same time as possible, as they will be using CPU and memory, leaving less for KSP.

7 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Hi @justspace103, it's a unified binary on Mac OSX, so it automatically runs in 64bit if it can, which your activity monitor shows.

64bit allows an application to use more than 3.5 gigabytes of RAM, but does not do anything for speed, any speed gains will be due to improvements in the software and in KSP's case that means a newer Unity engine, overhauled GUI, and new version of PhysX.

To get the most from KSP or any other software it is recommended to have as few other programs running at the same time as possible, as they will be using CPU and memory, leaving less for KSP.

ok thanks for the clarification! it also doesn't say (x64) down in the version number, is that to be expected?

I currently run KSP on two different MacBookPro models and I notice performance increases on both.

One is a 15" Mid 2012 the other is a 15" Mid 2015. I do have glitches on both, which I can either work around or do not consider game-breaking.

@justspace103:

What is your OS version and your Mac model?

Did you do a fresh install or update a previous version?

Steam or KSP store or ___?

Modded or stock?

Do you use saves from previous versions?

13 hours ago, justspace103 said:

ok thanks for the clarification! it also doesn't say (x64) down in the version number, is that to be expected?

I don't see x64 on the Linux version, so I guess OSX will be the same :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.