[1.2, 1.3] KW Rocketry Redux 3.1.1.1 released

linuxgurugamer

On 4/22/2016 at 1:01 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

You need to install ModuleManager for this to work.  This version includes the full KWRocketry, so you won't need to install that anymore.

Am I the only one confused by this? I have a feeling a previous edit left this conflict. Do we need to install ModuleManager or not?

1 hour ago, Bloodyaugust said:

Am I the only one confused by this? I have a feeling a previous edit left this conflict. Do we need to install ModuleManager or not?

I may be wrong, but I think they stopped bundling Module Manager with KW Rocketry as (for me at least) it was causing issues with CKAN. I kept getting messages that CKAN would not replace or delete files and it was because I had already downloaded MM. It makes sense, this way KW doesn't have to issue an update when MM is updated.

1 hour ago, Bloodyaugust said:

So considering that I am installing manually, not via CKAN, do I need MM?

Second line of the OP says, "You need to install ModuleManager for this to work." First place to go before asking questions in a mod thread is to at least read the OP and see if it has instructions for installation or guidance for what is installed. If you want to know how to install MM, go to the MM thread and read that OP too.

2 hours ago, danfarnsy said:

Second line of the OP says, "You need to install ModuleManager for this to work." First place to go before asking questions in a mod thread is to at least read the OP and see if it has instructions for installation or guidance for what is installed. If you want to know how to install MM, go to the MM thread and read that OP too.

5 hours ago, Bloodyaugust said:

Didja happen to read 3 posts upward? The second line makes a conflicting statement. I'm aware that the OP is the place to go to look for instructions. I did, and the instructions contradict themselves. FYI I have since tested KW without MM, and it works. The OP definitely needs to be updated for clarity.

Edited by Bloodyaugust

19 hours ago, Bloodyaugust said:

Didja happen to read 3 posts upward? The second line makes a conflicting statement. I'm aware that the OP is the place to go to look for instructions. I did, and the instructions contradict themselves. FYI I have since tested KW without MM, and it works. The OP definitely needs to be updated for clarity.

Yes, the mod will load but you will end up with several either missing or incorrectly configured parts. Believe me, the MM patches in KWRocketry are a real mess... but they work. You are right when you say the instructions should be clearer though.

Edited by Galenmacil

43 minutes ago, Galenmacil said:

Yes, the mod will load but you will end up with several either missing or incorrectly configured parts. Believe me, the MM patches in KWRocketry are a real mess... but they work. You are right when you say the instructions should be clearer though.

Good to know, thank you for the input!

19 hours ago, Galenmacil said:

Ummm, did you read the Install4Dummies document?

I'm not sure how much clearer than that I can be.  If you can suggest better language, I'd be happy to listen

On 4/22/2016 at 1:01 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

You need to install ModuleManager for this to work.  This version includes the full KWRocketry, so you won't need to install that anymore.

The above is the first bolded line of the OP. To me it says "You need to install MM", and then "This version of KWRocketry does not require you to install MM". As I said above, I have been using KWRocketry without issue and not having installed MM. I did use the install for dummies guide, which worked perfectly, and also does not at any point instruct you to install MM.

So, the advice is to re-word the second line of the OP to be more clear on your intent. Should I or should I not install MM? If yes, the install for dummies should also contain this step.

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ummm, did you read the Install4Dummies document?

I'm not sure how much clearer than that I can be.  If you can suggest better language, I'd be happy to listen

Quite frankly, the "Dummies" document are not that helpful. They are "visual" yes, but some steps are not necessary (the temporary folder part...) and the last section is no longer required not to mention the .PDF format which is, in my opinion, not mandatory: A simple .JPG or .PNG would do the trick. Also, the "regular" .TXT instructions needs to be updated and made clearer too.

Our opinions differ on how KWRocketry should be arranged. No big deal here linuxgurugamer, you have a lot on your shoulders so to speak... But if you are willing to entrust this task to me, I am ready to help. :D

Edited by Galenmacil

The "dummies" doc was written by another interested player. that being said, if you think you can rewrite the current instructions in a better format, please do so.

Re. the pdf, that was intentional, everyone has a pdf reader.

MM is bundled, for those who want an all in one package.

If you ave suggestions about the directory layout and arrangement, please feel free to let me know, either here or via Pm.  keep in mind that I make two files, one for CKAN support and one for a standard, manual install.

14 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The "dummies" doc was written by another interested player. that being said, if you think you can rewrite the current instructions in a better format, please do so.

Re. the pdf, that was intentional, everyone has a pdf reader.

MM is bundled, for those who want an all in one package.

If you ave suggestions about the directory layout and arrangement, please feel free to let me know, either here or via Pm.  keep in mind that I make two files, one for CKAN support and one for a standard, manual install.

Actually, looks like MM is not bundled.

Anyway,  @Galenmacil has done what looks like an excellent job of fixing a lot of the install issues, as well as a few things in KW itself.  Once I've had a chance to vet it, I need to adjust my scripts so that the CKAN installs will continue to work, and will then probably adopt his changes and release.

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Actually, looks like MM is not bundled.

Anyway,  @Galenmacil has done what looks like an excellent job of fixing a lot of the install issues, as well as a few things in KW itself.  Once I've had a chance to vet it, I need to adjust my scripts so that the CKAN installs will continue to work, and will then probably adopt his changes and release.

@linuxgurugamer And you're going to update the OP, right? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a very perplexing problem.

I'm trying to get KW Rocketry to work with version 1.2, so I downloaded and installed this.

Problem is, the 3.75m half reaction wheel wasn't working. "Invalid or experimental parts".

So, I read through this topic, and re-installed it. I thought that having missed out Module Manager the first time might be the problem.

And it does seem to have been so; having installed ModuleManager, the 3.75m reaction wheel halves work fine.

But the Thor II SRBs don't... when they worked before.

So I delete Module Manager to see what that does - and the Thors now work, but the 3.75m reaction wheels don't.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Spike

• 2 weeks later...

Can fairing bases be made to decouple and deploy fairing at separate stages and not all at once? Now, unless I click 'Decoupler: disable staging' every time, it just decouples the payload immediately with the fairing.

So, to do it right, I need an additional decoupler or have to manually deploy fairing instead of just pressing spacebar.

I didn't see any mention of it in the thread, so I'll go ahead and ask my two-part question:

1) Has anyone else found out all their non-procedural launch subassemblies--as well as the ones packaged with the ones packaged with the mod download--no longer load? I have no idea what might be causing this beyond that some part in all the assemblies has been renamed (so they simply don't show up).  

2) Are there any major differences between this and the KWRocketry that worked back in 1.0.5? I decided to use my old mod installation and found my assemblies loaded up fine. 

Any help would be much appreciated. In the past, the interstage patch caused various problems with the engine and interstage mounting points (this was solved by disabling one of the community fixes, which I think in this release is disabled by default). This seems to be a different issue however. 

On 11/12/2016 at 1:45 PM, Spychotic said:

Hi,

I have a very perplexing problem.

I'm trying to get KW Rocketry to work with version 1.2, so I downloaded and installed this.

Problem is, the 3.75m half reaction wheel wasn't working. "Invalid or experimental parts".

So, I read through this topic, and re-installed it. I thought that having missed out Module Manager the first time might be the problem.

And it does seem to have been so; having installed ModuleManager, the 3.75m reaction wheel halves work fine.

But the Thor II SRBs don't... when they worked before.

So I delete Module Manager to see what that does - and the Thors now work, but the 3.75m reaction wheels don't.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Spike

Log files, please

19 hours ago, Synthesis said:

I didn't see any mention of it in the thread, so I'll go ahead and ask my two-part question:

1) Has anyone else found out all their non-procedural launch subassemblies--as well as the ones packaged with the ones packaged with the mod download--no longer load? I have no idea what might be causing this beyond that some part in all the assemblies has been renamed (so they simply don't show up).  

2) Are there any major differences between this and the KWRocketry that worked back in 1.0.5? I decided to use my old mod installation and found my assemblies loaded up fine. 

Any help would be much appreciated. In the past, the interstage patch caused various problems with the engine and interstage mounting points (this was solved by disabling one of the community fixes, which I think in this release is disabled by default). This seems to be a different issue however. 

Log file please

Differences are compatibility, and other minor changes