Dres bridge

This challenge is one involving Dres. Surprised? Well, Dres is AWESOME. There is a huge canyon on it. The challenge is to build a bridge over the canyon that can support crossing rovers.

Badge:

QE4mXZ4.jpg?2

Rules

• no rules (except 2), hyperedit is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
  • coolest/most structurally sound bridge wins
  • bridge must be over widest point
Edited by KSP Bro AE

DRES DRES WHOO!!! 

I am already making a giant ramp to do a canyon jump, but this is going to be fun! You have to be careful because it's 3 km deep! 

Edit: More points for bigger rovers? Or extra points for returning the rover to the other side by a giant rover jump?

Edited by max_creative

11 minutes ago, max_creative said:

DRES DRES WHOO!!! 

I am already making a giant ramp to do a canyon jump, but this is going to be fun! You have to be careful because it's 3 km deep! 

Edit: More points for bigger rovers? Or extra points for returning the rover to the other side by a giant rover jump?

Signing off, might not be on 'til tomorrow

Interesting challenge. Just saying, though, that the width of the canyon at its widest may be more than 2.5 kilometers. I think that distance is calculated from the root part, so really 5km is the limit. It would be interesting to see how it would support itself, and to see what would happen if the thing you are driving on suddenly disappears due to physics distance.

Interesting idea, though! I wonder what the part count would be. Also, you probably would have to use hangar extender.

We need someone to drop a probe or rover at each side of the canyon and screenshot to get a distance measurement. Longest craft I've ever been able to hold together stock was 1.2 km, basically just a string of girder, and it wanted to shake apart just orbiting (was working on a Gilly space elevator).  Weirdly, one of the hardest things was zooming in on parts I wanted to see, as camera keeps focused on COM, so really hard to look at the ends.

On 4/22/2016 at 1:46 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

Interesting challenge. Just saying, though, that the width of the canyon at its widest may be more than 2.5 kilometers. I think that distance is calculated from the root part, so really 5km is the limit. It would be interesting to see how it would support itself, and to see what would happen if the thing you are driving on suddenly disappears due to physics distance.

Interesting idea, though! I wonder what the part count would be. Also, you probably would have to use hangar extender.

And BD for extended physics

On 4/23/2016 at 5:54 AM, Anbang11 said:

Can you give me the location of the canyon?

Should be in the wiki page for Dres

On 4/24/2016 at 10:01 PM, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Wouldnèt making something like this count for Dres Awareness?

Sure! I'll ask the owner of that thread.

On 4/24/2016 at 10:33 PM, RA3236 said:

Sorry to break to you, but a bridge like this will have over 2000 parts for the deck and heaps more for the supports.

That's why I said use any mod!

17 hours ago, max_creative said:

Well, it can't be that hard right? You only need to hack physics and control a multi-kilometer long craft!

Its called BD armory

On 24/4/2016 at 0:33 PM, RA3236 said:

Sorry to break to you, but a bridge like this will have over 2000 parts for the deck and heaps more for the supports.

And lag.

17 hours ago, KSP Bro AE said:

That's why I said use any mod!

Look, mods aren't magic.

9 hours ago, KSP Bro AE said:

Mods are magic. Plus, ever heard of part wielding?

EVEN with that, you would need countless hours of testing and guessing, as well as having to send a mission to Dres to find coordinates. I am going to mark this as 'Highly Improbable to complete'.

9 hours ago, RA3236 said:

EVEN with that, you would need countless hours of testing and guessing, as well as having to send a mission to Dres to find coordinates. I am going to mark this as 'Highly Improbable to complete'.

Then use vessel mover. there must be a way to do it.

With part-welding you could probably make your entire bridge into about 10 parts, maybe even one. And the below estimate seems a bit large. A 4m wide, 2.6km long deck could be easily made with under 600 of the large mk3 spaceplane tanks (emptied of course). Granted, this would be without the supports, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was possible... barely... not saying I'm going to try it though, I'm kind of busy in life at the moment (AP final exams coming up :().

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 1:33 AM, RA3236 said:

2000 parts for the deck

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
Some of my post didn't appear?

On 4/24/2016 at 0:33 AM, RA3236 said:

Not with the powers of...TWEAKSCALE!

There's no rules forbidding the usage of mods like it, so it's perfectly legal!

Edited by TopHeavy11

9 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

I am :)

*Determination.

can completers get the badge?

1 hour ago, TopHeavy11 said:

exactly!

On 28/4/2016 at 7:17 PM, TopHeavy11 said:

Then what? A 20m scaled I-Beam 200? I'M IN!!!

On April 25, 2016 at 3:25 AM, Jetski said:

We need someone to drop a probe or rover at each side of the canyon and screenshot to get a distance measurement. Longest craft I've ever been able to hold together stock was 1.2 km, basically just a string of girder, and it wanted to shake apart just orbiting (was working on a Gilly space elevator).  Weirdly, one of the hardest things was zooming in on parts I wanted to see, as camera keeps focused on COM, so really hard to look at the ends.

The Camera Tools mod would solve this problem.  You can set the view target yourself or fly a free camera around while still controlling a craft.  Any pics or video of the space elevator?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.