Dres bridge

8 hours ago, JebsDead said:

The Camera Tools mod would solve this problem.  You can set the view target yourself or fly a free camera around while still controlling a craft.  Any pics or video of the space elevator?

No, it was a failure just attempting to assemble it in LKO, much less get it to Gilly.  Just picture about 80 girders in a line with an SAS on each end, wobbling like a giant evil mechanical wormbeast and you pretty much have it.

Initial surveys with probes indicate this challenge is unlikely to succeed at the widest point.  

4.4 km is well out of the 2.25km physics range of KSP.  

Next step is to see how large a ship can actually be built.  That will determine the location of our bridge.

Here's a 1km section of teakscaled 400% I-beams.  It destroys the launchpad instantly, but I was able to HyperEdit it out to the canyon.  It starts spinning insanely fast immediately whether in orbit or landing, and destroys the probe core that controls it as soon as it touches down.  Also it's clearly not long enough.

Second attempt was a smaller section, only 700m long, but I included pillars, reaction wheels, and tons of struts.  I think the results speak for themselves.

Has anyone else even attempted this?  I'm looking at you @KSP Bro AE

Also an attempt with Tweakscaled Kickbacks at 3.4km long.  Everything over 2.3km just vaporizes, and all the joints let go.  Possibly KJR could help, but I'm not sure what can be done about the physics range issue.

Edited by Jetski

17 hours ago, Jetski said:

Initial surveys with probes indicate this challenge is unlikely to succeed at the widest point.  

Next step is to see how large a ship can actually be built.  That will determine the location of our bridge.

Here's a 1km section of teakscaled 400% I-beams.  It destroys the launchpad instantly, but I was able to HyperEdit it out to the canyon.  It starts spinning insanely fast immediately whether in orbit or landing, and destroys the probe core that controls it as soon as it touches down.  Also it's clearly not long enough.

Second attempt was a smaller section, only 700m long, but I included pillars, reaction wheels, and tons of struts.  I think the results speak for themselves.

Also an attempt with Tweakscaled Kickbacks at 3.4km long.  Everything over 2.3km just vaporizes, and all the joints let go.  Possibly KJR could help, but I'm not sure what can be done about the physics range issue.

Great try. BD increases load range, so it is possible.

17 hours ago, Jetski said:

:0.0: add more struts? And get MJ smart A.S.S. To keep it with a 0 m/s relative surface velocity?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok well this is easy actually.  I just used procedural parts and made a 4.5km long structural cylinder and it sits happily on the launch pad.clYTKy8.png

and in orbit

a0gmST2.png

Now I just need to put this on Dres and I can show you guys it on the canyon.  Any good mods for that?

s0hiF6G.png

And here it is across the canyon.  Sadly its ends are not exactly as solid as I would like so its ends are phased quite a bit through the solid rock of the canyon.  But it is across and while it is vibrating rather fast back and forth the wobble is quite small and only really noticeable at the ends of this 4.5km long cylinder.  I do not think anyone or anything will be able to use it to cross though.

Edited by captinjoehenry

• 4 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.