[1.12.x] IndicatorLights v1.8.3: Small, convenient, informative.

Snark

@Snark

I really enjoy this mod, would you consider integrating this into Coatl Aerospace ProbePlus? not every  part ofcourse, only the parts that would replace the stock components. EX the temperature gauge and barometer, this may be asking to much of your time though. I 100% completely understand if you have no desire to deal with it :-)

50 minutes ago, viperwolf said:

I really enjoy this mod, would you consider integrating this into Coatl Aerospace ProbePlus? not every  part ofcourse, only the parts that would replace the stock components. EX the temperature gauge and barometer, this may be asking to much of your time though. I 100% completely understand if you have no desire to deal with it :-)

Thanks for the suggestion!

On the one hand, I love to see IntegratorLights compatibility with other mods.  On the other hand, I generally don't have the bandwidth to instrument other mods myself, especially if they're not ones that I'm in the habit of running myself.  It's a dilemma.

Fortunately... there's a straightforward answer to the problem!  :wink:

I've created a separate mod, called IndicatorLights Community Extensions, precisely to address this dilemma.  It's basically just a collection of community-supplied ModuleManager patches that add IndicatorLights functionality to various third-party mods.  All it takes is for some community-spirited individual (hint) who's interested in seeing their favorite mod with IndicatorLights (hint hint) and is willing to spend a bit of time to set it up and send me the config (hint hint.  Hint.)  :wink:

See instructions on that mod-- it has links to useful documentation about how to do this.  (Or... if the idea of adding it yourself feels daunting, you could always post in that mod's thread saying "hi everyone, would love to have this in <mod>, is there anyone who can help?"  Maybe someone will step up.)

Another possibility... maybe the author of that mod themselves might be interested in adding IndicatorLights support to the mod.  Some mod authors have done so before-- for example, NecroBones added IndicatorLights support to SpaceY (for the probe cores and reaction wheels).  There's no particular reason to think that the mod author of this particular mod would be interested in doing that... but then again, maybe they might, one never knows.  Looks like no one's ever asked about it yet for that mod.  Certainly there's no right to expect anything from the author, but perhaps it doesn't hurt to ask.  Certainly, if any mod author's ever interested in adding IndicatorLights support to their mod, I'm delighted to offer advice and examples.

• 2 weeks later...

@Snark

How do you feel about adding an option to support integration with Community Trait Icons if a player has it installed?

Besides icons, Community Trait Icons also provides color settings for each Kerbal class (including support for MKS and other mod classes).
Using these same colors for your crew indicator lights would provide UI consistency with other supported mods.

Let me know if you're interested or need help with it.

Edited by cakepie

1 hour ago, cakepie said:

How do you feel about adding an option to support integration with Community Trait Icons if a player has it installed?

Depends what you mean by "how do I feel".  :wink:

If you mean, "how would I feel about adding that integration myself", well, that's solidly in the "ain't gonna happen" category, mainly because I don't happen to use that mod myself and therefore don't have the bandwidth to tinker with adding it.

On the other hand, if you mean "how would I feel about the idea" or "how would I feel about someone else adding this", the answer is Yay, what a great idea!  :D

Let me know if you're interested or need help with it.

Heh, funny you should ask that.  :wink:

Two things:

First, the good news is that IndicatorLights already supports the ability to have custom colors for custom (modded) kerbal types; I added this back in version 1.2.8, a bit over a year ago.  Relevant discussion is here:

...but the TL;DR is that this can be done with a simple ModuleManager patch, which makes it easy to add "compatibility patches" for other mods.

Example.  Suppose someone wrote a new mod called ToiletWorks, which introduces a new class of kerbal called Plumber, and you wanted to instrument IndicatorLights so that it would assign a greenish-blue color to any plumbers who happen to be aboard.  Here's what a ToiletWorks compatibility patch would look like:

@IndicatorLights:NEEDS[ToiletWorks] {
    @CrewIndicatorDefaultColors {
        Plumber = #0040FF
    }
}

(It's also possible to pick a logical color, from the hard-coded list thereof, rather than a physical one.  For example, you may decide that a Plumber is just a specialized variant of Engineer, and you want plumbers to use whatever-color-engineers-use.  In that case, instead of saying #0040FF for "bluish green", you could say $CrewEngineer.)

You get the idea.  This provides a simple way for anyone to produce a compatibility patch that adds distinctive colors to any new kerbal classes from whatever mod.

So, that's the first ingredient we need:  mod support for the feature.  It's already there.  :)

The next critical ingredient is to have a place to put such a patch, ideally one that consists of community-supplied patches so that I don't have to produce them myself.  Well, by golly, turns out there is one!

That's a companion mod for IndicatorLights, which consists entirely of community-supplied patches to provide compatibility between IndicatorLights and various third-party mods.  I don't write any of the stuff in there, I'm just the curator.

So... if some public-spirited individual (hint) wanted to produce an IndicatorLights compatibility patch for Community Trait Icons (hint hint) and send it to me (hint), I would be absolutely delighted to add it to IndicatorLights Community Extensions.  :)

(Best to continue such discussion over on that mod's thread, though, since that's what it's primarily for.)

So, let's see here.  We got the available functionality to allow the patch, check.  We got the place to put the patch, check.  Now all we need is the aforementioned "public-spirited individual" to produce the patch.  Hmm, let's see, where could we find such a person... :wink:  (hint)  (nudge)

@Snark You seem to have misunderstood / missed the point.

I am aware that IndicatorLights can be patched using ModuleManager; that is not what I am suggesting.

Community Trait Icons is a "framework" mod; the purpose is to provide a single point of configuration for icon/color settings to represent the crew classes. These are specified in a config file -- customizable by the user and patchable using Module Manager, of course -- that is parsed by a lightweight plugin. "Customer" mods such as PortraitStats and AirlockPlus can simply call up and ask "hey, give me the icon/color combination for pilot" etc. -- this provides a common and consistent user interface across mods.

Making a patch for IndicatorLights so that it uses the same default colors as Community Trait Icons defeats the purpose -- if the user has customized / patched the settings for Community Trait Icons, those changes would not be reflected in IndicatorLights unless it, too, is separately patched.

What I am proposing is that IndicatorLights adds code that checks to see if Community Trait Icons is installed, and if so, ask Community Trait Icons for the colors that should be used, in place of the IndicatorLights defaults. (Wrapper code is available.)

1 hour ago, Snark said:

If you mean, "how would I feel about adding that integration myself", well, that's solidly in the "ain't gonna happen" category, mainly because I don't happen to use that mod myself and therefore don't have the bandwidth to tinker with adding it.

On the other hand, if you mean "how would I feel about the idea" or "how would I feel about someone else adding this", the answer is Yay, what a great idea!  :D

Now that I've clarified that I'm asking for source code changes rather than a module manager patch -- are you still open to this? I'm willing to take a shot at it if you're okay with it.

What I am proposing is that IndicatorLights adds code that checks to see if Community Trait Icons is installed, and if so, ask Community Trait Icons for the colors that should be used, in place of the IndicatorLights defaults.

Ah, okay, this becomes clear now.

In that case, the answer (as far as actual compatibility code is concerned) is no, not gonna happen, ever.  Rant in spoiler.

Spoiler

No disrespect intended, your suggestion is a perfectly reasonable one, and I appreciate the offer of assistance and compatibility code.  :)  It's just that inter-module dependencies are a hot-button issue for me.  I'm exceptionally leery of them, for various reasons too tedious to relate here.

Except for the sole exception of ModuleManager and/or Kopernicus when needed, none of my mods has ever had any dependencies on any other mod.  Thus it has ever been, and thus it shall ever stay.  Do not want.  Non-negotiable, don't even bother asking.  Make no attempt to convince or persuade me, because you'd be talking to a brick wall; I'm an ornery old cuss who is prepared to be mulishly stubborn on this particular point.

That said... I'm a big fan of making things config-centric so that wizardry with ModuleManager can achieve nifty stuff.  I'd love it if there were a way to make your suggestion work without needing to explicitly provide compatibility code per se.  Having mulled it over a bit, I think I may see a way forward:

I just now went and looked at Community Trait Icons, a bit, and I see that they specify colors in a format that looks like 0.858823478,0.345097989,0.337254912,1 ... I'm guessing that that's RGBA in floating-point format in the range [0,1].  More to the point, it specifies that in config.

As it happens, IndicatorLights is well-instrumented to read colors from config.  It's just that at the moment, it doesn't support "floating-point R,G,B,A" as a string format; it only supports hexadecimal #RRGGBB.  That said, though... seems to me it wouldn't take much code to make it allow reading "R,G,B,A".  It's just a somewhat different string format to parse.

So if I added a bit of code to IndicatorLights to support parsing colors in that format, then this would be a solvable problem in ModuleManager, I think.  It would just be a slightly fancier version of the config I suggested above.  Assuming that the patch is living in a third mod (e.g. IndicatorLights Community Extensions), it would look something like this:

@IndicatorLights:AFTER[CommunityTraitIcons] {
        Pilot = #$@CommunityTraitIcons/Trait[Pilot]/color$
        // and so forth for whatever other traits
    }
}

^ assuming that the above MM variable syntax works the way I think it does-- this is a bit fancier than I usually get with MM, and I've had trouble finding some working examples just now that look like this, but I think this is supposed to work.

I believe that the only IndicatorLights code change that would be necessary to enable the above scenario would be to support parsing colors of the form "floating point R,G,B,A" such as Community Trait Icons uses.

What do you think?  Does that sound reasonable?  I'm teetering pretty close to being willing to make this IL change, if it would actually solve the problem.  The main thing that would help push me over the edge (by convincing me that "yes, this would work") would be if someone could verify the following for me:

1. Create patch config like the above.
  2. Temporarily hack the CommunityTraitIcons config file so that the pilot color is "#FFFF00" instead of 0.858823478,0.345097989,0.337254912,1 (which of course will break CommunityTraitIcons itself, but this is just a temporary proof-of-concept)
  3. Run KSP and verify that IndicatorLights is, indeed, using bright yellow (#FFFF00) as the pilot color (meaning that it successfully picked it up from the CommunityTraitIcons config).

If you can get the above scenario to work-- thus proving that ModuleManager can, in fact, provide the necessary glue that allows IndicatorLights to pick up the desired config value from CommunityTraitIcons-- then I'd be happy to add some code to IndicatorLights to make it able to parse the "R,G,B,A" color syntax.  That would, in turn, enable some public-spirited individual to provide the necessary ModuleManager syntax for IndicatorLights Community Extensions to get the effect you're looking for.

Without actually taking any cross-module dependencies, thus avoiding my ornery hang-up on the subject.  :wink:

How does that sound?

4 hours ago, Snark said:

no, not gonna happen, ever

Well, I'm glad I asked before putting in the work.

4 hours ago, Snark said:

So if I added a bit of code to IndicatorLights to support parsing colors in that format, then this would be a solvable problem in ModuleManager, I think.  It would just be a slightly fancier version of the config I suggested above.  Assuming that the patch is living in a third mod (e.g. IndicatorLights Community Extensions), it would look something like this:

I wasn't aware MM could do that. I'll look into it further and get back to you.

Hi @Snark! I was hoping to get your help please...

I've come across a conflict between Indicator Lights and Ven's Stock Revamp being maintained by @Kerbas_ad_astra on 1.4.2.

When both mods are installed the bumpers on Docking Port and Docking Port Jr are broken. There's an extra copy of the bumper that's stuck in the "extended" position. Clicking the extend/retract bumper option causes a second copy of the bumper to animate as it's supposed to, but that extra bumper will still be extended.

This is new in 1.4.2 and didn't occur with 1.3.1

NOTE: This isn't related to Indicator Lights Community Extensions, it's occurring even if the Community Extensions aren't installed

LOG FILE

Edited by Tyko

9 hours ago, Tyko said:

This isn't related to Indicator Lights Community Extensions

Actually, yes it is, pretty much by definition, because that's the place where any cross-compatibility issues between IndicatorLights and third-party mods are dealt with.  IndicatorLights itself is deliberately written to be pretty much completely unaware of the existence of any other mods (other than ModuleManager, which it depends on).

So, if Ven's Stock Revamp has produced a new version that has munged the docking ports in a way that's incompatible with IndicatorLights, then that would be something that would need to be dealt with in a MM patch, and IndicatorLights Community Extensions is the place where such patches need to live.

Accordingly, I'll continue this discussion over in the ILCE thread.  :wink:

19 minutes ago, Snark said:

Actually, yes it is, pretty much by definition, because that's the place where any cross-compatibility issues between IndicatorLights and third-party mods are dealt with.  IndicatorLights itself is deliberately written to be pretty much completely unaware of the existence of any other mods (other than ModuleManager, which it depends on).

So, if Ven's Stock Revamp has produced a new version that has munged the docking ports in a way that's incompatible with IndicatorLights, then that would be something that would need to be dealt with in a MM patch, and IndicatorLights Community Extensions is the place where such patches need to live.

Accordingly, I'll continue this discussion over in the ILCE thread.  :wink:

Thanks...What I meant was that ILCE wasn't installed or causing the strange interaction. also, VSR hasn't versioned in over a year, so I don't think it's a change on that side. 

Did you want me to repost on ILCE or will you be doing so? Looks like nobody has posted to it for a while.

Edited by Tyko

11 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Thanks...What I meant was that ILCE wasn't installed or causing the strange interaction.

22 minutes ago, Snark said:

Actually, yes it is, pretty much by definition

^ :wink:

13 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Did you want me to repost on ILCE or will you be doing so?

23 minutes ago, Snark said:

Accordingly, I'll continue this discussion over in the ILCE thread.

^ :wink:

I looked into it, the patch would look like:

@IndicatorLights:NEEDS[CommunityTraitIcons]:FINAL {
        %Pilot     = #$@CommunityTraitIcons/Trait[Pilot]/color$
        %Engineer  = #$@CommunityTraitIcons/Trait[Engineer]/color$
        %Scientist = #$@CommunityTraitIcons/Trait[Scientist]/color$
        // ...etc...
    }
}

This will indeed result in IndicatorLights using the colors specified by CommunityTraitIcons's config.

Changes made were:
- edit-or-create, rather than insert
- change patch order to FINAL, because other patches may modify settings in CommunityTraitIcons (e.g. Cetara's Suit Pack does this) and we want those changes to be reflected

However, this is still an incomplete solution, as it requires explicitly enumerating the crew classes.
This leads to two issues:

1. Maintenance overhead. Future changes to CommunityTraitIcons's list of included crew classes, e.g. adding an entry for "Plumber", would not be picked up automatically; the patch would require updating.
Not a huge deal, just a small bit of extra work for both of us and a slight delay for end users.

2. This solution cannot cope with situations where other patches add their own crew classes to the CommunityTraitIcons list.
e.g. someone out there might create their own "Electrician" mod defining a new crew class and include a patch:

@CommunityTraitIcons:NEEDS[CommunityTraitIcons] {
    name = Electrician
    color = 0,0.75,1,1
    icon = ElectricianMod/CTIsupport/ElectricianIcon
}

This can occur without my knowledge / involvement, and it would still work seamlessly with CommunityTraitIcons and the other mods that make use of its icons/colors.
The same would not be true for IndicatorLights -- and that feels less than satisfactory: we haven't truly made IndicatorLights and CommunityTraitIcons "compatible"

I've been digging through MM syntax, tried to figure out some way to do it dynamically instead of enumerating every single crew class. No luck so far, been running into MM errors while trying to use advanced syntax such as looping and editing other nodes. Will ask in MM thread to see if anyone there can assist. However, there is one large hurdle against such an approach: if I'm not mistaken, MM can add and edit values, but the keys must be literals; they cannot be variable. Whereas IndicatorLights stores crew classes as keys in its config. So, in order for MM to be able to manipulate the crew classes in IndicatorLights's settings, the config would instead have to be structured like

IndicatorLights {
  CrewIndicatorDefaultColors {
    Color {
      class = Pilot
      color = #F00F00
    }
    Color {
      class = Engineer
      color = #C0FFEE
    }
    // etc...
  }
}

(i.e. not very different from what CommunityTraitIcons currently has.)

Edited by cakepie

...Oh.  Um.  Duh.

Okay, I'm sorry, @cakepie, only just now did I finally put 2 + 2 together and realize that actually you're the author of Community Trait Icons, offering to help.  That puts an entirely different spin on it than Random Helpful Mod User offering to help.  (Don't get me wrong, I'm very fond of Random Helpful Mod Users.  But the amount of time commitment and ongoing maintenance needed from me is very different in that case, compared with when the mod author himself is offering his assistance.)

My apologies if I came across as overly dismissive-- would love to see if we can figure something out.  Here's where I expect the technobabble to start getting dense, I'll drop you a PM.

Thanks for reaching out, and again, my apologies for being slow on the uptake.  Totally my bad, I can only plead distraction and things being a bit hectic and busy IRL lately.   :blush:

Hi gang,

I'm pleased to announce the release of IndicatorLights v1.3.1, now with Community Trait Icons integration.

If Community Trait Icons happens to be installed, IndicatorLights will now take its crew colors (pilot, engineer, etc.) from that mod, rather than from IndicatorLights config.  This allows it to work together with mods like PortraitStats and so forth, for a consistent color experience.

FP1PtYq.png
(Note the red pilot, yellow engineer, and cyan scientist, instead of the usual orange / green / blue.)

If Community Trait Icons is not installed, then the behavior is the same IndicatorLights crew colors you've been used to over the last however-long-it's-been-since-I-added-them.

Many thanks to @cakepie, for 1. maintaining Community Trait Icons, and 2. suggesting the compatibility idea here, and 3. being patient with me for being a doofus, and 4. basically doing all the hard work to get the integration working.  Thank you, sir, you're a gentleman and a scholar.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Someone suggested this mod when I requested Fuel Cell status lights. Here's my response:

I really love the fuel cell indicator. Everything else pretty much seems like overkill, though. The "useful science" indications... I'll pass on that.

The main reason I want this is that there are no other possible indications for a fuel cell. For ISRU, you see things chugging. For drills, they're deployed and they generate dust and move while in operation. For batteries, I have both the fuel status indicator and a custom line added to my mechjeb ship info showing kWh. I can't get this for just a single part.

Is there an option to disable the other lights? I'd really just get too distracted.

TL;DR: I need the fuel cell lights because they're the only thing with no inherent indication of proper operation. Can I get just that?

3 hours ago, jjansen said:

Someone suggested this mod when I requested Fuel Cell status lights. Here's my response:

TL;DR: I need the fuel cell lights because they're the only thing with no inherent indication of proper operation. Can I get just that?

You could probably hack *out* the configs for every other part than the fuel cells. I haven't looked yet, but if it's individual files, easy enough, otherwise, just find the main config file and comment out all other parts. :)

6 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

You could probably hack *out* the configs for every other part than the fuel cells. I haven't looked yet, but if it's individual files, easy enough, otherwise, just find the main config file and comment out all other parts. :)

Thanks but I think I'll just take my chances with action groups :\

20 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Update: was informed that you can just pick and choose the modules you want and modulemanager handles everything else. The fuel cell lights are good to go.

On 5/12/2018 at 2:38 PM, Gordon Dry said:

@Snark How about adding action group toggles for color changes to the standalone lights like the BL-01 ?

Could be "only" 3 variants, perhaps 4:

1. green
  2. yellow
  3. red
  4. blue

Well, the problem is that the way it's currently designed, you have complete custom control over the color of the light, in both "on" and "off" modes (it has separate sliders for red, green, and blue intensity).  Making a change like this would be a complete rejigger of how the part works.

Of course, it would always be possible to write code to implement this as a different kind of behavior for a different part ("Introducing the BL-02!  With four selectable colors, choosable by action groups!").  It would be straightforward, and the code wouldn't even be all that big a deal.  If I implemented it, likely it would be something like a ModuleMulticolorSwitchedLight where the part config would specify how many modes there are and what the colors are of each mode, something like that.  Totally doable.

It's just that... well... it would be a chunk of new code, for a feature that I myself don't particularly need, which kinda limits my motivation to spend time coding something I won't actually use.  (Bear in mind that I'm basically a "selfish" modder-- I do all my modding for myself to make the game do what I want, and I just share the mods in case other folks might find 'em useful, too.  So I'm generally pretty unlikely to spend much time working on anything that I won't use, myself.)  So although this isn't a bad suggestion, it's probably not going to be on my to-do list any time soon.

(That said:  IndicatorLights is an open architecture.  If some other person wanted to create a mod that depends on IndicatorLights and implements such a piece of code as described above, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing that.  Just that I don't happen to have the time or inclination to do it myself.)  ;)

12 hours ago, jjansen said:

Update: was informed that you can just pick and choose the modules you want and modulemanager handles everything else. The fuel cell lights are good to go.

By the way, it's not an accident that it works that way.  ;)  IndicatorLights adds lights to just about everything (because I happen to like 'em), but I'm well aware that not everyone necessarily wants their ships festooned with lights like Christmas trees.

So I've deliberately set up the config in such a way that every single part's config is completely separate from all the others, and they're arranged in folders by logical function.  So anyone who doesn't want the full monty can just delete the appropriate config files (or folders) to truncate IndicatorLights down to just the behavior that they want.

• For example:  somebody doesn't like the science indicators?  Easy:  just delete the GameData/IndicatorLights/Parts/science folder, and they're gone.
  • Or:  you only want fuel cell indicators and nothing else?  Easy, just go into GameData/IndicatorLights/Parts and delete every single folder except "fuelCells".

Anyway, glad your problem's sorted out!  :)

8 hours ago, Snark said:

By the way, it's not an accident that it works that way.  ;)  IndicatorLights adds lights to just about everything (because I happen to like 'em), but I'm well aware that not everyone necessarily wants their ships festooned with lights like Christmas trees.

So I've deliberately set up the config in such a way that every single part's config is completely separate from all the others, and they're arranged in folders by logical function.  So anyone who doesn't want the full monty can just delete the appropriate config files (or folders) to truncate IndicatorLights down to just the behavior that they want.

• For example:  somebody doesn't like the science indicators?  Easy:  just delete the GameData/IndicatorLights/Parts/science folder, and they're gone.
  • Or:  you only want fuel cell indicators and nothing else?  Easy, just go into GameData/IndicatorLights/Parts and delete every single folder except "fuelCells".

Anyway, glad your problem's sorted out!  :)

Cool. You might wanna refer to the whole thing in the description as a suite of retextures, because both I and the guy a few replies back thought that if you were to install this, you'd have to hack it to get only one thing out of it.

Back in the 90s, "suite" was how a package of different apps or extensions would be called, especially when you could just pick and choose. The idea's long since passed, but applies here (lol, and the zip could include a README.txt as well XD )

15 minutes ago, RocketScientist said:

My lights on batteries and command pods are just black, does anyone know why?

No, but have you tried any troubleshooting steps yourself yet, such as uninstalling & reinstalling the mod?

Has this occurred before or is this the first time you've installed the mod?  Which versions of KSP and this mod are you using?  How did you install, manually or via CKAN?

As a general rule, if you're posting a problem, it is wise to post a link to your output_log.txt file uploaded to a file sharing service, such as Dropbox.

3 hours ago, RocketScientist said:

My lights on batteries and command pods are just black, does anyone know why?

Just those?  Other lights are working fine, it's just the batteries and command pods that are a problem?

My guess is that it's probably some interaction with another mod.  For example, in the early days of IndicatorLights, it wasn't playing nice with TextureReplacer and people were seeing all their lights black-- eventually some helpful users tracked down what the root cause was (and also what the needed config fix was), and I could make a config update to fix that problem.

So, my guess is that it's probably some other mod that's somehow stepping on IL's toes, or vice versa.  My suggestion would be to use process of elimination.  Try running with only IndicatorLights installed, and see whether the problem persists.  If it doesn't-- i.e. if everything works fine when you have IndicatorLights and nothing else installed-- then it's definitely some other mod causing an issue.  In which case all you need to do is to install half of your other mods at a time until you narrow down to exactly which mod is causing the problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.