SpaceY Inc. - Raptor 9 v2.0 testing underway! (Submit a payload)

Kerbiter

1 minute ago, KerbalOmmex said:

Is the Falcon 9 Raptor 9 upper stage capable of performing a Trans-Münar Injection burn?

Because my lander needs something to get it there...

THAT INFORMATION IS TOP SECRET, CIVILIAN. WAIT UNTIL I SHOW YOU THE THING, THEN YOU WILL KNOW.

Edited by Kerbiter

8 minutes ago, Kerbiter said:

THAT INFORMATION IS TOP SECRET, CIVILIAN.

Reminds me of Paler Blue Dot. Where the blueprints of the Falcon 9 were TOP SECRET.

EDIT:-  From Paler Blue Dot.

<wernher> rocket?

<the_seti_man> That name reminds me of someone.. but that's for another time

<lil_gene> Show the image

<potus_no1> Here you go

320px-CRS8_Falcon9_with_the_Dragon_capsu

<potus_no1> An old one that could do its job nicely

Edited by KerbalOmmex
Old is Gold

SpaceY Inc. - Cheaper. Better. Quicker.

My fellow Kerbals, this is the Raptor 9!

j98Mngu.png
The Raptor 9 in the Integration Facility before rollout to the SLC-2 pad. Overlays have been added to this image. [SpaceY]

This is it my friends! The Raptor 9! For lots of time our inhouse engineering, programming, PR, and executive teams have been developing/keeping this design secret for a long time, and we finally unveiled it!

We will fly this on the KQFT-1 (Komodo Qualification Flight Test; the last one on SSM-M14 will now be renamed KPDF for Komodo Prototype Development Flight) flight coming up in a few days. Tonight we performed a static fire test of the rocket at SLC-2 for 2 seconds, and it was successful.

Eventually we will develop RTLS capabilities for the first stage and Komodo, and maybe parachute recovery for the second stage.

wdVeMsl.png
The Raptor 9 on SLC-2 before a static fire test. Overlays over the image have been added. [SpaceY]

The new Komodo has also been unveiled. This will resupply the orbital space station currently resupplied by the Saturn Shuttle fleet. Like the SOV, this vehicle will have a return capability. This means that experiments can be conducted on the station, returned to Kerbin, and the results of the experiments can be studied more carefully on ground.

Keep submitting your payloads, and that is it for the announcement.

- Elon Kerman, CEO of SpaceY and co-founder of KPal

Edited by Kerbiter

1 hour ago, Kerbiter said:

Snip

This is it my friends! The Raptor 9! For lots of time our inhouse engineering, programming, PR, and executive teams have been developing/keeping this design secret for a long time, and we finally unveiled it!

Snip

Looks Impressive, I just want to see it rumble off the pad with 654,102 lbf (in metric:- Almost 3 MN), woah! That's some serious power. (A Mainsail has 1.5 MN.)

EDIT:- What's the TWR of this monster?

Edited by KerbalOmmex

2 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Can we still submit payloads?

Didn't you read the post?

9 hours ago, Kerbiter said:

9 hours ago, Kerbiter said:

45 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Hello! Sorry for asking questions all the time, but is there a specific mod list for any payloads that we submit, or can we use any mod we want?

You can use any, the modlist in the OP is only for the lifters.

20 hours ago, Kerbiter said:

My fellow Kerbals, this is the Raptor 9!

j98Mngu.png
The Raptor 9 in the Integration Facility before rollout to the SLC-2 pad. Overlays have been added to this image. [SpaceY]

We will fly this on the KQFT-1 (Komodo Qualification Flight Test; the last one on SSM-M14 will now be renamed KPDF for Komodo Prototype Development Flight) flight coming up in a few days. Tonight we performed a static fire test of the rocket at SLC-2 for 2 seconds, and it was successful.

Eventually we will develop RTLS capabilities for the first stage and Komodo, and maybe parachute recovery for the second stage.

wdVeMsl.png
The Raptor 9 on SLC-2 before a static fire test. Overlays over the image have been added. [SpaceY]

The new Komodo has also been unveiled. This will resupply the orbital space station currently resupplied by the Saturn Shuttle fleet. Like the SOV, this vehicle will have a return capability. This means that experiments can be conducted on the station, returned to Kerbin, and the results of the experiments can be studied more carefully on ground.

I will test my payload with it.

My payload for the Raptor 9:

https://kerbalx.com/TheEpicSquared/Kerbal-Deep-Space-Telescope

This is the Kerbal Deep Space Telescope. Info such as action groups, mods, parts/mass/height/width/length can all be found on KerbalX. Hope you enjoy :) 

EDIT: I'm not exactly sure what orbit is best for a space telescope, so I guess you choose? :P 

Edited by TheEpicSquared

On 5/23/2016 at 9:48 PM, KerbalOmmex said:

What's the TWR of this monster?

Around 2.5-3. Pretty high.

12 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

My payload for the Raptor 9:

https://kerbalx.com/TheEpicSquared/Kerbal-Deep-Space-Telescope

This is the Kerbal Deep Space Telescope. Info such as action groups, mods, parts/mass/height/width/length can all be found on KerbalX. Hope you enjoy :) 

EDIT: I'm not exactly sure what orbit is best for a space telescope, so I guess you choose? :P 

Will consider. I will probably have to download that mod, I don't have it.

SpaceY Suborbital - Who Wants to Go to Space Today?

Elon told me to write this one so I am going to write this one.

Hello. I am Jeff Kerman, Director of SpaceY Suborbital. You probably know me as the CEO of Kerbazon. Elon appointed me to this job and I gathered a team of young engineers and designers to work on Throb, our VTVL (Vertical Takeoff Vertical Landing) prototype.

vlsfpBu.png
An artist rendition of the Throb VTVL development vehicle. [SpaceY Suborbital]

We manufactured one using Elon's facilities, and transported it to the SLC-2 pad for its first test. We launched it for a small test flight. It succeeded.

7zcREJL.png
The Throb hovering during its first test flight. [SpaceY Suborbital]

The vehicle activated its Kiwi-A engine and rose to about 9 meters before heading to a soft landing.

IjUMRZI.png
The Throb vehicle just after finishing the landing. The engine is cooling down and the bell of the engine is still slightly heated. [SpaceY Suborbital]

We successfully recovered the vehicle and it is in good condition. That is it for the progress report.

- Jeff Kerman, Director of SpaceY Suborbital and CEO of Kerbazon

26 minutes ago, KerbalOmmex said:

The Throb looks good... is it a testing bed for the Raptor 9?

Let's hope it won't run out of fuel.

No it is a testing bed for a future suborbital vehicle. But Raptor 9 will use this technology.

Today the same Raptor 9 that performed the static fire a few days ago was fitted with cameras (our engineers forgot them) back in the integration facility and rolled back to the pad for an early morning launch.

Fa8ZElU.png
The Raptor 9 sitting on the pad with the Komodo spacecraft for its first flight. [SpaceY]

The launch tower clamps retracted at T-8 minutes after propellant loading finished. At T-3 seconds, the nine Kiwi-A engines ignited, and at T±0 seconds, the launch clamps retracted and the Raptor 9 lifted off from the SLC-2 pad.

83berG0.png
The Raptor 9 lifting off from the SLC-2 pad on its first flight. [SpaceY]

The Raptor 9 made a significantly higher roar than the Raptor 1. Also the ascent was noted to be faster, as the rocket had a higher TWR.

crc4QX1.png
The Raptor 9 captured on ascent. [SpaceY]

As the rocket went farther in ascent, we switched to using chase cameras and onboard cameras.

6S88BxJ.png
The Raptor 9 captured by our second chase camera. [SpaceY]

The first stage went up and up with its Komodo payload, the 9 Kiwi-A engines still with the high amounts of thrust.

CqhVe6T.png
The Raptor 9 ascent on Flight 1 captured by the onboard cameras. [SpaceY]

Main engine cutoff (MECO) occurred, and the stage separated nominally. We also observed nominal second stage ignition.

ScjeG4a.png
The first stage of the Raptor 9 shortly after separation. [SpaceY]

Eventually came the time where we jettisoned the protective aerodynamic nosecone on the Komodo. The jettision was nominal, and the nosecone did not hit the spacecraft.

Uast0Dd.png
The nosecone shortly after separation from the Komodo spacecraft. [SpaceY]

The second stage powered through the atmosphere and sent the Komodo to orbit.

68vid3h.png
The Kiwi-V engine powering the Raptor 9 second stage and Komodo spacecraft to orbit. [SpaceY]

Eventually the second stage cutoff in an event called SECO, and the Komodo spacecraft deployed.

kqnUt9b.png
The Komodo spacecraft deploying from the Raptor 9. The solar panel covers have just been jettisoned. [SpaceY]

This short test flight of Komodo will verify all systems in orbit, as well as test recovery operations.

myxqODG.png
The Komodo spacecraft pictured by the Raptor 9 second stage after deployment. [SpaceY]

The next test flight of the Komodo spacecraft (KQFT-2) will test rendezvous and docking with the orbital space station (we have no specification on the name, @ZooNamedGames we would like to know what it is called). Keep submitting your payloads and that is it for the progress report.

@Kerbiter the station has had no name as of yet due to it being to sparse (just being a core, fuel depot and crew hab), and so our scientists rapidly got to deciding a name. The name they decided to go with has now named it Starlight

I will get you a link to the save so you can access it asap.

21 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

@Kerbiter the station has had no name as of yet due to it being to sparse (just being a core, fuel depot and crew hab), and so our scientists rapidly got to deciding a name. The name they decided to go with has now named it Starlight

I will get you a link to the save so you can access it asap.

Message it to me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.