[1.9.x] Mouse Aim Flight (1.1.3) - Pilot airplanes with your mouse!

tetryds

@tetryds Would be nice if you put the MAFSettings.cfg file into the Plugins/PluginData folder to avoid MM recaching and increase the game loading time.

And my lil request probably got lost among all the replies, would you please take a look.

EDIT: Last question, how can I remap the hotkeys to require 'Ctrl or Alt + key'?

Edited by Enceos

Love this mod. Once I got to tweaking my Authority levels on my control surfaces everything fell into place.

One suggestion could you automatically toggle chase camera when you activate mouse steering ? I would think anyone activating would prefer this view - or make it an option in config.

@NavyFish It's a new experimental behavior for piloting airplanes, it's still unfinished but has a better time piloting heavy airplanes and airplanes going extremely fast.

It tends to make your craft roll less, and use the rudder to make turns, but it's far from being robust, so be careful when using that and make sure your error is low before switching back to normal mode, since normal mode is much more aggressive it can throw quite a punch at your craft at high speeds.

Awesome,  thanks! 

Stalled an airplane recently using this mod, it was doing such a good job at masking the increasing amount of control input required to maintain altitude that I didn't notice the stall until it was too late. Fortunately I had plenty of altitude to recover. Makes me want to build an audible stall warning for Ferram. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just so you guys know, this mod really doesn't like to play nice with Stock Bug Fix Modules, when using the mouse to control my craft, it will start rolling back and forth. Personally, I think that the tweakable "actuator speed" is confusing the built-in autopilot, which is a shame, as one of the things it fixes is the shaking experienced in aircraft flying at high speeds, when the craft has too much control authority.

Here is the craft file of the airplane I was using when I discovered this problem, you'll need OPT Spaceplane Parts, Kerbal Engineer Redux, and B9 aerospace (plus Stock Bug Fix Modules if you want to test that).

Other than that miniscule annoyance, this mod is Amazing! I am able to not only make smooth landings, but also perform aerobatics while flying around the KSC at about 15m Ralt. I really like what you're doing here, Keep it up!

Well, this mod is not going to be compatible with other mods that modify the actuators or add their own controllers, MAF is meant to be used standalone, even without SAS.

So, there is not much I can do about that, I would simply recommend not using the module that fixes the actuators, since MAF compensates for speed to prevent high speed wobble.

Thanks for the feedback, the actuator speed will update as soon as MAF updates, which will happen when BDArmory and AviatorArsenal update.

@Kowgan lol,  You're welcome. For reference, most mods that edit the way control surfaces behave (this includes Atmospheric Auto pilot, and several other autopilots) aren't compatible with each other. The one exception is FAR, due to how popular FAR is, most modders make their mods compatible with it.

@N1njawarrior: Thanks for the hint! I just want to add that FAR users may want to check that also the FAR flight assistance toggles are off before trying to enable MAF. Took a while before I remembered FAR itself has those buttons :P

Concerning compatibility with various autopilot mods, it seems MAF can coexist with Pilot Assistant (when both are not applying control simultaneously). This is cool - more tools for different purposes.

@tetryds: There is one conceivable use case where having MAF and KSP Advanced Fly-by-wire installed simultaneously would be useful: if one sometimes flies with a joystick, but sometimes with the mouse (such as on a laptop, with the joystick at home). Maybe this user group is rather marginal, though?

Concerning testing with different craft, there seem to be some stock craft (useful for quick testing of mods in sandbox :)) that may present problems at least in FAR. The Albatross flips out of control easily when attempting a hard turn (which probably shouldn't be done given the nature of the plane). The Gull it seems to handle rather well in cruise mode, but in normal mode this plane seems to experience a roll oscillation.

Finally, great mod! MAF feels like a nice companion for FAR when using mouse/keyboard control.

2 hours ago, Technologicat said:

@N1njawarrior: Thanks for the hint! I just want to add that FAR users may want to check that also the FAR flight assistance toggles are off before trying to enable MAF. Took a while before I remembered FAR itself has those buttons :P

Concerning compatibility with various autopilot mods, it seems MAF can coexist with Pilot Assistant (when both are not applying control simultaneously). This is cool - more tools for different purposes.

@tetryds: There is one conceivable use case where having MAF and KSP Advanced Fly-by-wire installed simultaneously would be useful: if one sometimes flies with a joystick, but sometimes with the mouse (such as on a laptop, with the joystick at home). Maybe this user group is rather marginal, though?

Concerning testing with different craft, there seem to be some stock craft (useful for quick testing of mods in sandbox :)) that may present problems at least in FAR. The Albatross flips out of control easily when attempting a hard turn (which probably shouldn't be done given the nature of the plane). The Gull it seems to handle rather well in cruise mode, but in normal mode this plane seems to experience a roll oscillation.

Finally, great mod! MAF feels like a nice companion for FAR when using mouse/keyboard control.

If you edit some of MAF's code, you can make it compatible with Atmospheric Autopilot too. It basically requires you to turn of the "control surface fix" thingamabob and change one other line. 

I found the best way to fix wobble on a very agile aircraft but it is kind of a cheaty fix.

For me alot of wobble comes from thrust vectoring so what I did was turn up the gimbal actuator speed 4 times faster in the config file (the base speed was 8, I turn it up to 32). After I did this the plane flies more stable than without thrust vectoring,

• 4 weeks later...

Been experimenting with pilotting my Ho 229 (the same one) using MAF. It's.. Iffy. It is pretty good up until it reaches 260 mph. I made a setting for flaps on the drag rudders to make MAF more sensitive in controlling them so it won't start flying sideways, but even then, it wants to flip out above ~380 mph. Using the right mouse-wiggling technique, one can make it reach 430 mph or so before it becomes impossible to keep heading.

I wonder if there's a way you could make it so you could control how averse it is to not being pointed at the target in a nonlinear way? I.e. by raising the a P component of the PID to a configurable or adaptive power.

Obviously, flying wings are tricky to control, and I certainly don't expect you to make an entire dedicated mode for them unless you want to, but it would be nice to have more customizable or adaptive controls

Increasing the gain won't fix the problem but make it worse, since it flies well at lower speeds and doesn't wobble when fast it's likely that you need too much trim to keep the heading, more than the current limit of the controller, which is meant to hold back overshoots.

I need to get the integral overhauled but didn't have much time for anything lately and I also had a few problems recompiling it, will have to get that fixed first.

A different mode would not help, that's a controller problem.

• 3 weeks later...

First, let me say that I was initially very skeptical about this mod and if I would really find it useful. Then I watched a video by The Beardy Penguin which utilised this mod and I thought to myself "Huh, okay maybe I should at least try it..."

Now... I'm not sure I could ever do planes in KSP without this mod! It takes planes from being frustrating, annoying and generally obnoxious to use and makes flying them into something that is REALLY fun to do!

5/5 -  Will never fly a plane without this mod again!

On a side-note, definitely get the Improved Chase Cam mod to go with it...

Glad that you all like it, there are many more things left to add to this mod, but it worked so well that I didn't feel like rushing to get those things done.

Now I am working on my own game (and trying to find time to finish BAD-T once and for all), and don't feel like updating it very soon.

But if you have ideas and suggestions of things that would be simple to implement please make sure to suggest.

• 2 weeks later...

So, @tetryds, I really like it!  But, there's one thing that I think could be better.  When you aim straight left, it turns 90 degrees to get the tightest turn possible.  But considering the fact that you're purely trying to turn left, the plane should prioritize staying in level or ascending flight rather than a tight turn - in other words, the plane should use the rudder as well to let the elevators keep the plane in level flight.  

But, in cockpit mode, I think that mouse aim should be classic pitch and roll, getting rid of aiming with the circle, because it's just easier to control.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.