[1.2] LK-1 Duna Lander! Go to Duna like a true communist!

DMSP

New and Updated for 1.2.2!

Hi all. I'd first off like to thank @Mulbin for inspiring this and designing it in the first place. Although I made it from scratch, I don't think I could have ever came up with this creation without him.

In version 0.19, Mulbin made a Duna rated LK spacecraft. Versions passed, Mulbin's activity declined, and then the link to download it went bust. When 1.1 came out, I decided to breath new life into this long vanished spacecraft. So I built this from scratch

So here it is. A Duna LK lander, a LOK Orbiting Spacecraft and a Micro Buggy thrown in on top.

You can download the craft at KerbalX, here.

A few notes:

-Your pilot will be in the wrong capsule on liftoff. Transfer him and/or set control to the top capsule.

-Try to Aerobrake, at least a bit, at Duna. Warning: Do not go lower than 28,000 Meters, you might blow the Nukes.

-Yes, the rover is supposed to land separately. Just make sure it doesn't crash into the lander.

-When departing Duna, you can use the Arrival Stage to give a kick or what is left in the lander. Your choice. You might have to use a bit of monopropellant to get back.

-Don't bother with slowing down, the heatsheild can take the reentry. Just get the angle right.

Mission Video:

Ok, that's all, enjoy flying!

Edited by DMSP

This is a fantastic rebuild of a classic Mulbin craft! Great work mate, truly.

You could have kept the rover small and mounted it on the back as I did for my Russian style lander:

C48B1F5346EE886CCE9F5DEBACFF8B6766D40CE1

That is a minor quibble though in a very nice build!

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

This is a fantastic rebuild of a classic Mulbin craft! Great work mate, truly.

You could have kept the rover small and mounted it on the back as I did for my Russian style lander:

C48B1F5346EE886CCE9F5DEBACFF8B6766D40CE1

That is a minor quibble though in a very nice build!

Thank you, I appreciate that. I hope he feels the same.

That is what I was originally thinking, but I wasn't entirely sure how I could get it to safely land. Also the extra parachute really packs a punch during the descent.

Thanks for checking this out, it means a lot!

DMSP

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.