Escaping Kerbin by aerobraking :)

So I started up 1.1 with some mods, nothing special. SpaceY family, KER, MJ and old Kerbonov..

I made my usual LKO tourist craft (proven reliable during 1.x era), loaded some tourists and some science, went for 80x80 orbit. Everything went smoothly until I tried to return to Kerbin. Something was wrong. It should brake, but it didn't. Few explosions later I tried more gentle aerobraking at ~50km. After some time I checked AP... 300km... 400km... 500km... hmmmm. After aeroaccelerating was complete, orbit was intersecting Moho... 

Here's the craft file.

Enjoy looking for new Kraken drive :wink:

Edited by PT

5 minutes ago, SelectHalfling0 said:

Are those mods updated to 1.1?

All except Kerbonov (not updated for a year or so) were updated to 1.1 version. Weirdly enough craft seems to behave normal when Mk-1 pod gone poof.

Maybe 1.1 finally killed poor old Kerbonov :( 

@PT, maybe is not a bug... maybe you have found a new way of venture into space!

In all seriousness, it seems atmospheric drag isn't been calculated and all you are getting is the gravity assist adding up to your speed... wonder what would have if you add a part like airbrake or heatshield, would it be calculated properly?

20 hours ago, rodrigoelp said:

@PT, maybe is not a bug... maybe you have found a new way of venture into space!

In all seriousness, it seems atmospheric drag isn't been calculated and all you are getting is the gravity assist adding up to your speed... wonder what would have if you add a part like airbrake or heatshield, would it be calculated properly?

After some testing it appears core problem was indeed Kerbonov cockpit. Or rather its interaction with other parts (without mk-1 pod it behaved normally). It was shielded from both ends (heatshield->science stuff->Kerbonov->Mk-1 pod) but windshield was sticking out, somehow it created magical lift force about as strong as aerobraking. Above 50km it was stronger (aeroaccelerating, yay), below 40km it was a tiny bit weaker. In the end I deorbited with infinite fuel. During tests I scored several crashes both in flight and in VAB when playng wth that cabin. It appears 1.1 killed it :(

Edited by PT

On 24.04.2016 at 6:39 PM, hendrack said:

Be careful with CKAN at the moment. Some users update netkan files withoutdated or incompatible mod versions. Rasterprop monitor was installed twice for example, with different version numbers.

I have not used CKAN, everything was manual. Mods downloaded and installed same day bug occurred.

It appears I am not alone:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.