Space Engine .96

Rascal Nag

So, it finally got released!

http://en.spaceengine.org/

For those who don\'t know what this is, it\'s a program that lets you explore the entire universe (no, not the virgo supercluster anymore. As of .96, it\'s the whole universe), From galaxies to nebulae to stars and planets of all sorts. Most of it is procedurally generated. But maybe the most impressive thing is that this whole thing was made by one Russian...

The person/people that made the game should really upload to mediafire or similar. Cause downloading it from there servers takes about an hour and a half. Will get after this stupid heatwave is over.

The person/people that made the game should really upload to mediafire or similar. Cause downloading it from there servers takes about an hour and a half. Will get after this stupid heatwave is over.

I was experiencing the same issue, but he also has it up for torrent, that took only a few minutes for me.

Edit: Thought I might share some of my screenshots from .96

The Universe.

hEG1u.jpg

Scorched Selena.

9LQCy.jpg

A spiral galaxy, with all the galaxies of the Universe in the background.

Re9Bz.jpg

I\'m pretty sure that torrents don\'t work like that. It\'s not hosted in Russia, it\'s not really 'hosted' at all, at least not in a traditional sense. If all of the seeders were in Russia, well, that would be a slow process I suppose, but that\'s doubtful.

@rascal(can\'t quote on tablet.) The black hole kinda looks like a sea serpants mouth.

I really wish it wasn\'t 103°f here. Guess he made it look like that to make it noticable. Do they have the milky way galaxies black hole?(If they even have the milky way.)

Yes, it\'s got the milky way (in fact, it\'s got most of the known objects in the universe, only the stuff we don\'t know of is procedural. Which is a lot, actually) and its black hole. And it doesn\'t normally look like that, with all the light and stuff. This star system has 2 stars, 1 brown dwarf and this black hole. I\'m viewing the black hole in such a way that it\'s distorting the light from the stars by being in front of them.

Edit: New pic, I like this one a lot.

arvcl.jpg

Well, it\'s a quadruple system. There are two stars orbiting each other at one point, and then a brown dwarf and a black hole orbiting each other at the other point. These two binary systems orbit around each other.

Here\'s the planet that was orbiting the black hole and brown dwarf barycenter:

RS 0-8-14725181-244-7-5-16365-375 AA1

To get one, bring the cursor over the the left of the screen to slide out the menu and click the icon with the spaceship (or just press ctrl-f3), click the one you want, and click 'teleport here'. Then, if the ship isn\'t already selected (you\'ll know if it is because info on the ship should show up in the top left), click on it, then press 4 for game mode (alternatively, bring up the menu again, select the ship you just teleported to you, and click 'switch to'). You\'ll move behind the ship, facing where the ship is facing. WASD move it forward, left, backwards and right respectively. R and F move it up and down respectively. The mousewheel or numpad + or - keys make the acceleration of WASD maneuvers greater or lesser. Numpad keys 4 and 6 turn the ship left and right respectively. 8 and 2 turn it up and down respectively. 7 and 9 roll left and right respectively. Pressing 5 will stop all rotation (hold it, it may take a few seconds). I puts you in hyperdrive mode, but that doesn\'t do anything yet as far as I know. P toggles orbit drawing, just click the body you want your orbit to be drawn in reference to. F1 brings you the map, in which you can see your orbit (as well as look at the entire universe, it\'s not just for orbits).

I think that\'s everything.

How is this thing like/unlike Universe Sandox, Celestia (I think it\'s called), etc.? Can you manipulate things, or only fly around them?

I believe it\'s kind of like celestia and orbiter, the orbiter part of it being the spaceships and celestia part is the roaming around the universe. I also it was made because celestial is abandoned. (pretty sure of this.)

To get one, bring the cursor over the the left of the screen to slide out the menu and click the icon with the spaceship (or just press ctrl-f3), click the one you want, and click 'teleport here'. Then, if the ship isn\'t already selected (you\'ll know if it is because info on the ship should show up in the top left), click on it, then press 4 for game mode (alternatively, bring up the menu again, select the ship you just teleported to you, and click 'switch to'). You\'ll move behind the ship, facing where the ship is facing. WASD move it forward, left, backwards and right respectively. R and F move it up and down respectively. The mousewheel or numpad + or - keys make the acceleration of WASD maneuvers greater or lesser. Numpad keys 4 and 6 turn the ship left and right respectively. 8 and 2 turn it up and down respectively. 7 and 9 roll left and right respectively. Pressing 5 will stop all rotation (hold it, it may take a few seconds). I puts you in hyperdrive mode, but that doesn\'t do anything yet as far as I know. P toggles orbit drawing, just click the body you want your orbit to be drawn in reference to. F1 brings you the map, in which you can see your orbit (as well as look at the entire universe, it\'s not just for orbits).

I think that\'s everything.

Wow, thanks! That was more info than I expected! Can\'t wait to try it tomorrow.

After zooming way, waaay out, I found out that the universe is not infinite in the game, but shortly afterwards the program crashed :I

Well, the universe isn\'t infinite in real life either. There is a finite amount of galaxies in the universe, eventually you\'ll pass all of them and be completely alone. It is also finite in terms of space, except it is continuously expanding.