1.1 Landing struts sinking into terrain and meshes

1.1 build 1230, Windows 8, 32-bit version, non-steam, clean install.

Landing struts LT-1 and LT-2 are sinking into terrain and meshes, while LT-05 performs normally. While raising or lowering LT-2 the pads initially get the grip on surface, but immediately after full extension pads fall through the surface.

pgwxSgO.jpg

q1Wnuo8.jpg

JBQ2flq.jpg

Squad, this is literally game-breaking. In-ability to land vehicles pretty much ruins the game. Between the this mesh issue, and the vibrating/walking issue, we cannot have stable landed craft and bases. Please fix ASAP.

OSX 10.10.5, 64 bit, clean install, I'm seeing the same thing -- the two larger landing gear sink below the surface.  If I retract landing gear while on the ground (while they are in the ground) it shoots me into the air and/or destroys things.  Like the launch pad.  This does seem kind of game breaking, it looks like I can't build landers unless someone has a fix.

Edited by Markarian421
additional details

3 hours ago, g00bd0g said:

Squad, this is literally game-breaking. In-ability to land vehicles pretty much ruins the game. Between the this mesh issue, and the vibrating/walking issue, we cannot have stable landed craft and bases. Please fix ASAP.

kinda this, I'm glad you gave us all 1.1 but it is a bit too buggy for me to fogo the 1.0.5

This is the misplaced body lift on the fairings all over again. So many people involved with testing and STILL an obvious in-your-face bug slips through the cracks. :huh:

What have all those people been doing all that time besides showing off? Wasn't the pre-release supposed to root out bugs like this?

3 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

This is the misplaced body lift on the fairings all over again. So many people involved with testing and STILL an obvious in-your-face bug slips through the cracks. :huh:

What have all those people been doing all that time besides showing off? Wasn't the pre-release supposed to root out bugs like this?

Submitting bug reports mate. Hundreds and hundreds of them. 

It is annoying as this problem has broken craft..

All,

I have altered my .cfg files to fix this problem. I need someone to test them to make sure the struts are usable.

http://wikisend.com/download/839402/landingLegLT-2.cfg

http://wikisend.com/download/817088/landingLegLT-1.cfg

This will stop the clipping through the surface, but I'm not sure if they will still produce phantom forces on other bodies. Please rename and keep your originals and let me know how it goes.

Best,
-Slashy

Tried the LT-1 confg, fixes the clipping into the terrain when LT-1s are extended, but upon retracting, the landing strut bottoms appear to still temporarily lose their colliders and sink into the terrain, and then fly out of the terrain when the colliders come into existence on the retracting bottoms of the struts. Tested on both launchpad and runway, on launchpad, the pad's design makes the flying severe enough to blow up the test vehicle's landing struts.

I didn't test the LT-2 config, but the LT-1 enhanced config fixes the problems with them in the extended state.

On mine, I deploy landing legs with g, the craft settles to the ground -- or starts on the landing pad with legs deployed -- the pads settle on the surface, a moment later fall through the surface. Then, I press G again to pull the legs up, and the entire ship leaps into the air as, I presume, it pulls the pads THROUGH the ground layer.

This is deeply troubling. Are we making landing legs out of kraken-suckers?

While changing the .cfg files helps a bit, this doesn't fix what I consider the bigger issue, that NOTHING actually comes to a complete rest on any surface, EVER. Spawn a 1 part cockpit onto the launchpad or runway and it slides around with no controls applied. Put it on any sort of slope and it slides even faster. Spawn an 11 part aircraft (that has worked fine in every version of KSP previously) and it flops over and spins in circles with no controls applied. I suspect it's a combination of this and weird suspension that is causing the vibrations, jittering/walking, spontaneous unplanned disassembly we are all seeing.

I have a bunch of videos on my channel showing various issues. Like this one.

On 4/24/2016 at 3:36 AM, Tex_NL said:

I don't think that this is an issue of bugs slipping through the cracks, pre-release testers not noticing this or Squad ignoring it.

If memory serves me right, landing gear and wheels has been mentioned in about every DevNotes post and I suspect that it has Squad's maximum attention right now. Apparently it's simply not that easy to fix.

With all the other 1.1 work done (well, most of it at least) Squad was likely facing the hard choice of delaying the release for an unspecified amount of time (likely resulting in “they're not doing anything” complaints) or go ahead and patch it once they have a solution. Although, if that was the case, some communication upfront (there are issues with the landing gear and legs. We're working on it!) would have been helpful.

11 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Although, if that was the case, some communication upfront (there are issues with the landing gear and legs. We're working on it!) would have been helpful.

Radio silence on ongoing critical issues has always been Squad's biggest weakness.

On 4/24/2016 at 4:23 AM, GoSlash27 said:

I have altered my .cfg files to fix this problem. I need someone to test them to make sure the struts are usable.

I tried the LT-1, off the launch pad I'm still having some problems but they are closer to working.  They sink through the ground a little, and on one test seemed to sink right through after holding the surface for a second or so but I couldn't reproduce that on a later test.  Retracting the legs while on the ground still results in the craft shooting into the air and/or landing legs exploding.  On the launch pad I'm still seeing problems that result in the launch pad and/or craft exploding.  After saying all that, it's frightening that I'd say these are much better than stock.

43 minutes ago, Markarian421 said:

I tried the LT-1, off the launch pad I'm still having some problems but they are closer to working.  They sink through the ground a little, and on one test seemed to sink right through after holding the surface for a second or so but I couldn't reproduce that on a later test.  Retracting the legs while on the ground still results in the craft shooting into the air and/or landing legs exploding.  On the launch pad I'm still seeing problems that result in the launch pad and/or craft exploding.  After saying all that, it's frightening that I'd say these are much better than stock.

Markarian421,

Yeah, it's actually a Unity problem and Squad is working it as best they can. Unfortunately, I haven't solved the problem of terrain clipping during gear retraction. Right now, I'm just trying to get them to the point where they are usable as landing struts on normal missions.

Thanks for letting me know how it's going, and I'll keep at it.

Best,
-Slashy

I think I've had a breakthrough!

Excessive subsystem time seems to cause the gear to revert to the CoM as the contact point during retraction, causing terrain clipping. Reducing the subsystem time seems to alleviate the problem.

Try these configs:

http://wikisend.com/download/455988/landingLegLT-1.cfg

http://wikisend.com/download/575206/landingLegLT-2.cfg

Best,
-Slashy

1 hour ago, GoSlash27 said:

I think I've had a breakthrough!

Excessive subsystem time seems to cause the gear to revert to the CoM as the contact point during retraction, causing terrain clipping. Reducing the subsystem time seems to alleviate the problem.

Try these configs:

Best,
-Slashy

Definitely an improvement, though there's still odd terrain clipping if I disable the suspensions, but no launch-into-the-sky-and-boom!

Same problem here. I can't use spaceplanes on the runaway : my vesseles seams to fall from 2 or 3 meters, and explode, before I could do anything. Landing legs in the floor ... It seems I will go back on 1.0.5 (I have a crew member problem too, I'll open an other topic).

Same thing here, still some issues with plane gear. I just landed my spaceplane doing an almost 180° highspeed powerslide on the runway like sliding on soap (yes, I came from where the nose is now pointing to). There are 2 things to notice:

1. Wheels keep sinking into the ground.
  2. The plane keeps moving (sidewards!) with 0.1 m/s even though it should stand still with brakes enabled.

Additional information to sideward movement:

Jebediah was not able to point towards the activated navigation target (the buttons left to the navball). He was always a little bit sidewards off the target, as if the plane was drifting all the time, even in orbit.

4946054_179909861.jpg?1462212099

Edited by Artimus

Quite possibly related too - had a kerbal collide with an LT-2 on the Mun and it exploded.

They need to be much more sturdy than to explode under a low-speed collision with a kerbal, surely?

This was the latest patch (1.1.2?).

On 03/05/2016 at 11:25 AM, BFalcon said:

Quite possibly related too - had a kerbal collide with an LT-2 on the Mun and it exploded.

They need to be much more sturdy than to explode under a low-speed collision with a kerbal, surely?

This was the latest patch (1.1.2?).

I had the same thing on the tiny landing strut. Jeb jumped up and bumped his head on one of the micro landing struts, which was enough for it to overstress.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27. April 2016 at 5:27 AM, GoSlash27 said:

Try these configs:

When I try to download these, I get a "File does not exist." Could you repost?

I am currently trying to build a Mun base, but with the legs sinking in it's pointles... Any hints and fixes welcome!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.