Mother Development Thread

Bonus Eventus

11 hours ago, DStaal said:

Nice - but it looks like the cover will get in the way of the docking port.

Why do you think that? NM, I see what you mean. Fortunately it was an easy fix. Thanks for the sanity check!

MCog4sy.png?1

Edited by Bonus Eventus

2 hours ago, Bonus Eventus said:

A0JRpGe.jpg

Had some issues with the normal map of the command pod. Only solution that seemed to work required a complete retexturing. Now onto the Centrifuge IVA and DA-42 IVA.

Was hoping for a download before going off the grid (network wise) for a couple of weeks.  But something this awesome needs polish!  Keep up the good work.

Peace.

aMK1YpQ.jpg

Y243JhQ.jpg

oxYFNwv.jpg

bIKidZJ.jpg

The design for the interior was trickier than I thought, mostly because this is my first time making IVA props and overlay masks. Still haven't textured the main interior space. I also need to add supporting gas struts for the seats, more iva props, and RPM controls for the main console.

2 hours ago, CarnageINC said:

Looking good so far Bonus!  Just out of curiosity, do you envision your mod to be; throughout the tech tree, mid to late tech, only late game tech?

Good question. I intend to use community tech tree for early to late game progression. Most parts will be mid to late game. I plan to intigrate with both Interstellar and Kerbalism as well.

On 8.11.2016 at 3:51 AM, Bonus Eventus said:

So the rotation animation is completely procedural, you don't need to make any animations for rotation to work. It's the deploy animation that you would need to have available.

basic Q: what you mena wih 'completely procedural'   - using unity animation procedures (script) or a kind of plugin to steering the RPM  ?

13 minutes ago, RaendyLeBeau said:

basic Q: what you mena wih 'completely procedural'   - using unity animation procedures (script) or a kind of plugin to steering the RPM  ?

yes, rotation animation is handled in c# using the FixedUpdate loop to execute rotations according to an animation curve. That's how I'm able to add a wind up/down easing to the rotation. I needed to do this so I could accurately control RPM and Gs. Normal animation wouldn't allow for accurate feedback. Also it allows for resource in/ rotation out parameters with ratios (like 1:2 or 1:0.9, etc). I'm in the process of writing this up as a github wiki.

uL2vTyY.jpg?1

rg6xbIt.png?1

Almost done with the interior, now on to the details like the control panel and pistons. Those little blurry black dots are are shadows from ambient occlusion of internal props.

Edited by Bonus Eventus

3 hours ago, Bonus Eventus said:

yes, rotation animation is handled in c# using the FixedUpdate loop to execute rotations according to an animation curve. That's how I'm able to add a wind up/down easing to the rotation. I needed to do this so I could accurately control RPM and Gs. Normal animation wouldn't allow for accurate feedback. Also it allows for resource in/ rotation out parameters with ratios (like 1:2 or 1:0.9, etc). I'm in the process of writing this up as a github wiki.

Cool - already exists a "github wiki" link - have not seen anything. ?

also very interesting the docking-port integration with the ship. i tried it however did not go ^_^ - therefore I created with the port for my ship separately.  

Spoiler

JXFDFui.png

maybe u can post a Unity screenshot of DP. intergation part ?

1 hour ago, RaendyLeBeau said:

Cool - already exists a "github wiki" link - have not seen anything. ?

also very interesting the docking-port integration with the ship. i tried it however did not go ^_^ - therefore I created with the port for my ship separately.  

Reveal hidden contents

JXFDFui.png

maybe u can post a Unity screenshot of DP. intergation part ?

I handled it the same way you did. The cone is a separate part.

EDIT: Did a quick test to see how things looked in KSP.

lOJkN7S.jpg

Edited by Bonus Eventus

23 minutes ago, Leandro Basi said:

Sorry if this question has already been answered, I read several posts in the threads and did not find the answer. Is this project a continuation of Kerbodyne Plus?

Sort of. More like its spiritual successor. With Kerbodyne Plus I tried out several different ideas that I wasn't able to unify into a cohesive whole. Mother on the other hand, does have a unifying idea behind it. Designing large scale motherships.

Edited by Bonus Eventus

Rough design of 5M habitat inspired by mars direct. Still playing around with the paneling. Not crazy about setting the windows over those reinforced panels. I like the top and bottom caps, the trim and the doors. RCS doesn't feel integrated enough. Needs some more details like handles, ladders, and lights.

tAcSMw5.png?1

Edited by Bonus Eventus