Mother Development Thread

Bonus Eventus

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 7:59 PM, Bonus Eventus said:

Sort of. More like its spiritual successor. With Kerbodyne Plus I tried out several different ideas that I wasn't able to unify into a cohesive whole. Mother on the other hand, does have a unifying idea behind it. Designing large scale motherships.

Thanks

I think I will wait for this, this would be a very good replacement of near future, which is split into so many different mods. I'm again thinking of playing Galileo's as SSRSS is gonna be under new development and may take a while, plus I generally feel more excited about Galileos, it looks fresh and new

• 2 weeks later...
On February 7, 2017 at 3:24 AM, Leandro Basi said:

I have been using Kerbodyne plus, but when release the Mother can I unninstall the kerbodyne without losing ships with the parts?

yes, I mean, no.

Edited by Bonus Eventus

On February 7, 2017 at 3:24 AM, Leandro Basi said:

I have been using Kerbodyne plus, but when release the Mother can I unninstall the kerbodyne without losing ships with the parts?

Seams I read that a little too fast. If you uninstall kerbodyne plus all your ships made with k+ will break. Parts have totally different names. Sorry for the confusion everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey man, any updates? I'm really interested in using your mod for my series (I've talked about it a ton I know), but now I know what I wanna do. I wanna use this mod to build a massive mothership with the help of other KSP players, to colonize the stars in RSS Constellations. 

• 4 weeks later...

They're not done and it's going to take time and inspiration before they are. I want all of the over-sized 6m+ parts designed in a minimal form factor which self deploy mechanically, so it's more realistic to assemble in space rather than do what I did with K+ and just make really huge parts you have to transport as is. Thanks for your patience :wink:

rzsiSwz.png?1

This is a WIP of the 30M diameter centrifuge. The couplers that attach the telescopic arms of the hub to the inflatable hull need to be refined some more. Haven't figured out where the windows will go either. The inflatable hull is telescopic as well, taking inspiration from Bigelow Aerospace's BEAM. The gas struts (blue) help extend and retract the hull. Inside the hull, telescopic rails help keep the sections curved as they extend from a contracted state. The hull walls are 274.33mm thick. The diameter of the hull profile is 1.875m at the widest (measuring from the outside) tapering to 1.7m at its narrowest. The stack attachment hinges are 2.5m in diameter.

The short answer is I don't know. I've been working on a dock able version of the centrifuge module, however it's problematic for several reasons. If all else fails I'll make a smaller centrifuge as well.

1 minute ago, SpaceMouse said:

It might be worth noting IRL you probably wouldn't want windows on a centrifuge. The speed it spins at many believe would at the very least be disorienting and might make people sick. 

Yeah, however, one could imagine a scenario where external cameras malfunctioned causing zero visibility. I imagine you would want to have a line of sight of the rest of the ship. If nausea is a problem, you could always pull a shade down, like when on an airplane.

1 hour ago, Bonus Eventus said:

Yeah, however, one could imagine a scenario where external cameras malfunctioned causing zero visibility. I imagine you would want to have a line of sight of the rest of the ship. If nausea is a problem, you could always pull a shade down, like when on an airplane.

I experimented some with centrifuges in Space Engineers, and putting windows on top seemed the least disorienting.... most of your view of the ship doesn't really change, and its kinda fun to watch the center spin separately.

Edited by SpaceMouse

Worked on the normal map for the inflatable hull last night.

NMQHqze.png?1

Normal map from a distance.

RHgoLWx.jpg?1

Close up of normal map.

iI9e0Yp.png?1

High resolution sculpt used to make the normal map.

I feel like I might have to tone it down a bit, might be a tad too realistic.

Edited by Bonus Eventus