Mother Development Thread

Bonus Eventus

• 4 weeks later...

Orbital Shipyards

Over the past month I have started the task of designing the structural components meant to build shipyards. These are by far the hardest parts I've had to design for KSP. Why is it so hard? Well it has to do with competing interests.

In the real world orbital shipyards will be assembled piece by piece in orbit like the ISS (or at least until we can 3d print large components in space). They also tend to be big, if they're going to be useful. In KSP this would mean creating multiple components with attached docking ports and then doing tedious orbital docking and alignment. To create the kind of shipyards I have in mind would take 100s of parts (if one were to assemble it that way).

So, I'd like to merge some of those parts for better performance. But that's tricky business. Technically I could just make the shipyard one single monolithic part. Problem with that is it would barely fit in the VAB, you wouldn't have room to build anything else. Hangar extender would then be mandatory. Also, it would feel extremely unrealistic to launch the thing.

Oh and another issue is that in general the more unique a part is, the less useful it is (or the less modular it will be). Personally I like it when parts can be used to make things they weren't intended to make. I try not to make single purpose parts. Certain things like command pods and engines are unavoidably single purpose, but I feel like structural parts should be multipurpose.

I'm only now starting to mock things up in 3d, so hopefully I'll have some pics to share soon.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:01 AM, Bonus Eventus said:

Some references:

EyzIlGK.jpg

jzituTQ.jpg

TKIeYFZ.jpg

I know space is obviously at a premium in.... Space but, I can't help but feel filling it with a central tunnel and structural components to contain things is kind of a waste. That much internal (open) space available would probably greatly help astronauts feel less confined and help their mental health.

Please excuse the random musing. :D

I have seen it. I would say there is more than few bad plot points. I can forgive allot of things, but when it come to the bad story writing and telling I just can't. And in the case of Alien Covenant didn't make any sense, whats so ever. Same with Prometheus.

The first two alien were great. When it came out I trough Alien 3 was bad, until I saw Alien 4. Now, compared to Prometheus and Covenant, alien 3 looks like a masterpiece...

Sorry for the bashing. 

not sure if it's been mentioned before, but Hangars is a great mod which lets you store entire ships, unloaded, in hangar bays to reduce part count. I love the mod and use it all the time, but the models are a bit... lacking. Would it be possible to get parts for this mod that work with Hangars?

On 11/6/2017 at 4:29 PM, mivanit said:

not sure if it's been mentioned before, but Hangars is a great mod which lets you store entire ships, unloaded, in hangar bays to reduce part count. I love the mod and use it all the time, but the models are a bit... lacking. Would it be possible to get parts for this mod that work with Hangars?

that's likely

• 1 month later...

So, I think I've figured out a solution for shipyards and docking bays.  First, some history: When I started this mod I had some idea of what I wanted in a docking bay.

3xuQjY6.jpg

b2KTrBw.jpg

But, later I became convinced that it would look dumb to launch something this gigantic (15m diameter). I tried to address this problem by using animated structures that would collapse or expand, changing the form factor. Unfortunately this lead to ugly, and complicated designs, none of which I liked. I agonized over this for a couple of months until recently I took another look at those early designs. I suddenly realized I had become tunneled on the form factor and deployment of these parts, forgetting about the goals of the mod in general. 

So, here is the current solution.

• Manufacturing Module: A 7.5m part that expands to 21m. Includes a crew cabin and multiple nodes for docking ports or other attachments. This is like a massive hollow superstructure that ships or parts can be spawned inside of. (requires Extra Planetary Launchpads)
  • Hangar: This is a large enclosure for storing vehicles. Not sure how big it will be, but big. (requires Hangar mod)
  • Resource Containers: Various containers for rocket parts, ore, etc. (requires Extra Planetary Launchpads) 
  • Docking Bays:
    • Type A: Large rectangular structure that can hold multiple docking ports. Includes crew cabin.
    • Type B: Larger half octagon structure that can hold multiple docking ports. Includes crew cabin.
      5upeyTN.jpg
    • Type C: Huge octagonal hollow space frame. Includes multiple attachment nodes. Meant to be used with compatible snap on panels.

On a slightly unrelated note I'm considering restyling the trusses. I want to know what everyone thinks. Is rounder better?

cB2izri.png?1

2Ezl59n.png?1

Here's a quick exploration of the type C docking bay.

Yc9bOYO.png?1

iDvWxUL.png?1

This version would integrate nicely with the hard edge style trusses. That's why I was asking before if people prefer the rounder version.

Edited by Bonus Eventus

6eC1ckb.jpg?1

Here are two of the type C docking bays combined. I optimized the geometry, now each docking bay is only a little over 5k (as opposed to 8k before). Added resource feed lines. Wondering if I should add a crew tunnel for connected living spaces.

On 12/18/2017 at 12:45 PM, Bonus Eventus said:

6eC1ckb.jpg?1

Here are two of the type C docking bays combined. I optimized the geometry, now each docking bay is only a little over 5k (as opposed to 8k before). Added resource feed lines. Wondering if I should add a crew tunnel for connected living spaces.

Yeah, that's looking pretty amazing. I'm looking forward to trying these out when it's all done. DEFINITELY like it with the hard edges.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

KnEsyR0.png?1

Refining the this large adapter connecting the hex truss sections to the docking bays. Transforming so many hard surface members from the hexagonal shape at the

front to the octagonal shape at the rear proved more difficult than I originally thought it would. Most parts of the model attach at strange angles. I'm still not happy with 

some elements, so I will still have a bit more to refine before it's complete.

In the interest of expediency, both RPM and KSPIE support won't be included in the Beta release. This is mostly because I want to take my time and do it right. I don't have

as much time to work on Mother these days, so I need to be more prudent—building up features release by release instead.

Here's a peek at my todo list before Beta release:

• Modeling and texturing remaining IVAs (4 in total).
  • Finish modeling type a and b docking bays
  • Texture structural trusses and docking bays.
  • Finish modeling/texturing Greenhouse Module.
  • Finish modeling/texturing docking ports.
  • Finish modeling/texturing fuel tanks.
  • Create docking bay lights.
  • Create folding or roll out radiators.
  • Create storage containers for rocket parts.
  • Create Hangar Module.
  • Create Manufacturing Module.
  • Create stack decouplers of various bulkhead profiles.
  • Create various structural adapters for different bulkhead profiles.
  • Create 6m fairing.
  • Create drone cores of various bulkhead profiles.
  • Redesign DA-42 heat shield.
  • Create heat shield landing legs.
  • Create plasma engine.
  • Create plasma engine thrust plate.

On 5-3-2018 at 8:47 AM, Bonus Eventus said:

In the interest of expediency, both RPM and KSPIE support won't be included in the Beta release. This is mostly because I want to take my time and do it right. I don't have

Not sure what you have in mind but I might help you with KSPIE support