Mother Development Thread

Bonus Eventus

On 8/2/2016 at 4:51 PM, Bonus Eventus said:

Updates slowed due to a back injury. I pulled one of my erectors when doing jefferson curls. Couldn't sit upright for about a month. Luckily I have a standing desk at work. Unfortunately, I do not have a standing desk at home. I'm working on some models right now, post images as soon as possible.

Dang, stop injuring yourself at the gym! Any more injuries, and you might get hospitalized for a long time, and we REALLY wouldn't want that!! :0.0: All I'd suggest is to be very, very, VERY careful when you're exercising, also I hope you get better HYPER SOON!

More suggestions!!

A gigantic, circular solar array

Large Spacecraft Spine inline cockpit

Transfer tubes for ALL the small spacecraft spine trusses

still working on designs for the centrifuge. So far I haven't produced any designs I like. This is proving to be the most complex part I've ever developed. The design I'm currently working on will allow the entire apparatus to be sent up inside of an interstage fairing then self-deploy once in orbit. 

Edited by Bonus Eventus

On 15/08/2016 at 3:20 PM, Bonus Eventus said:

still working on designs for the centrifuge. So far I haven't produced any designs I like. This is proving to be the most complex part I've ever developed. The design I'm currently working on will allow the entire apparatus to be sent up inside of an interstage fairing then self-deploy once in orbit. 

Are you planning on it being able to be contained within a fairing from the stock 2.5m fairing base (so stowed with a diameter of within 3.75ms?) or the largest fairing size?

Also, are you looking for some inspiration still?

On 8/17/2016 at 4:18 AM, theJesuit said:

Are you planning on it being able to be contained within a fairing from the stock 2.5m fairing base (so stowed with a diameter of within 3.75ms?) or the largest fairing size?

Also, are you looking for some inspiration still?

I'm shooting for 3.75 at this point, but we'll see how that goes. I'm at a stage in the design where inspiration won't be that useful.

Right now I'm working out things like, how to animate deployment, polygon reduction, those kinds of things.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1.6.2016 at 5:57 AM, Bonus Eventus said:

It's getting there. The reverse animation needs some work, for some reason it's not playing the animation in reverse but rather going to the first frame. Still I'm happy that I actually can animate the IVA, wasn't sure it would work. I was surprised to see that even the kerbal was scaled as a child of internal model. Since this is just a part made to test the code I didn't do a proper animation. Only thing left now is resource consumption, then more refinement and optimization.

if I understand correctly, there is only one additional configuration. or one needs but a plugin that?

I'm looking for some time for a similar solution for one of my parts (see picture , inflating and rotating part - on the middle)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2016 at 8:24 AM, RocketSquid said:

Hello, giant nuclear spacecraft. This is the mod I've been looking for my entire life.

Glad you're looking forward to it :)

After all of the prior setbacks I lost some of the enthusiasm I began this project with. I kept going however, but slowly. I think rather than dragging the work out I should just take some time off, and come back refreshed! So, I'll be taking october off. Updates will begin again in November. NOT promising anything, but hopefully I can get a beta release out in time for christmas. 

BTW - My back has fully healed! Thanks for all of your support and kind words :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

This is an early concept model I created a couple months ago (never showed). It looks OK to me overall, I think the center hub needs some work. Maybe add some windows. This is supposed to be a hybrid between hardbody and inflatable types (The white area being inflatable). I would like to add antennae as well, which fold out from within hidden panels. 

6De1I0f.png

2 minutes ago, parameciumkid said:

The hinges and spokes seem a bit too heavy-duty to me. That thing looks like it could be used as a giant car wheel, when all it really needs to do is maintain its shape in zero-G.

Each spoke acts as an egress tunnel and a hinge. It can rotate 90 degrees to a vertical state, at which time it carries 1/3 the mass of the wheel. Because it acts as an egress/ingress passage, it needed to be 1.25 m wide. One thing I could try is increasing the diameter some. Right now the diameter in game is 17.5m, but when folded up it fits into a 6m cylinder.

8 minutes ago, parameciumkid said:

The hinges and spokes seem a bit too heavy-duty to me. That thing looks like it could be used as a giant car wheel, when all it really needs to do is maintain its shape in zero-G.

I think the intent is the spokes are crew passable, and provide extra protection for critical equipment?

Just now, parameciumkid said:

I was wondering if they were meant to be crew tunnels, but from what I can see in the image there's no way for Kerbals to actually get from the center fuselage into the spokes, unless there's something hidden on the bottom.

25 minutes ago, Bonus Eventus said:

This is an early concept model

Yes, but it's hidden by the hinge. Inside the hinge there exists a seal that forms between the cylinders when in the deployed state, crew can get into the craft from under the arms. I haven't modeled that portion yet, so admittedly it's not that apparent. I'm not married to the design though, which is why I'm showing it now.  

Also, just for reference:

ZK5sRWV.png

Edited by Bonus Eventus

Started reworking the design a little yesterday and did this rough animation. Didn't bother with the central hub part. Wondering if I should add some secondary piston arms to attach the rigid outer rim pieces (like a hinge).

lEhZymr.gif

1 hour ago, Bonus Eventus said:

Started reworking the design a little yesterday and did this rough animation. Didn't bother with the central hub part. Wondering if I should add some secondary piston arms to attach the rigid outer rim pieces (like a hinge).

lEhZymr.gif

Looks pretty awesome as it is - as long as it has locking mechanisms to lock those hard sections in place.  Great work

Peace.

On 6/8/2016 at 7:27 PM, panarchist said:

Looks a lot like what I've been cooking up for an Interstellar mission:

LKMH2pq.png

I'm very interested in seeing what this mod cooks up that I can redesign this ship to incorporate. (I've already used Kerbodyne Plus parts to get some of this into orbit)

what mod are those cargo containers from?

On 4/27/2016 at 4:15 PM, Deimos Rast said:

Looks neat.

Two things:

1) I believe BahamutoD has an animated 3D printer in his EPL pack from something like 0.24 for printing rocket parts. I've been fiddling with it, and it uses a custom module called "LoopedKConverterAnimation" and requires BahaD's BDAnimationModules plugin. It's a little above my skill level, but I think it should work (maybe not the LoopedK part, but I know the animation of the part still works, I just haven't figured out how to get it to animate while stamping out rocket parts, like it did in the original). What I'm getting at is it might be something to check out if you're looking at the 3D printing re: Portal thing.

2) Thread title made me think this was about expectant mothers.:D Yup.

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

I think this is doable. Coding a looped animation is pretty easy with C#, the rest can be handled with events. I'm thinking, that a dummy model will get fed into an assembly line of robotic arms. The dummy model looks like a casing for a mold. As we get to the end of the assembly line the casing is removed to reveal the new part/parts. 

EDIT: I redesigned the centrifuge over the weekend. Tubes are 2.5M in diameter. They will deflate to 1.25M then fold in like before. Total diameter of the centrifuge is approximately 30M. I'm happy with most of it. I still want to do a little more work around the smaller group of gas struts (the ones painted blue), describing how they articulate a little better.

5E7tvkD.png?1

Edited by Bonus Eventus