Proposal: New rule with regards to CKAN posts

Dazpoet

I hope this is the correct place to ask about things like these?

It's that time of the year again when a new KSP version comes around and many modders are flooded (well, poked repeatedly) with requests about CKAN availability, CKAN getting updated metadata and mods being installed in weird/incorrect ways by CKAN. Not only is this annoying for mod authors but it also means that relevant information about bugs in CKANs infrastructure don't reach the appropriate ears.

Seeing as it has recently been made a rule that you cannot repeatedly ask about addon-updates I would like to propose that you cannot badger modauthors about CKAN unless they clearly state in their OP that they are the ones handling, or have an interest in the, CKAN metadata for their mod. This way authors being asked about CKAN would be opt-in rather than omg-please-don't-bother-me-I-DO-NOT-CARE.

Ideas? Thoughts? Viability?

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

If by "badger" you mean "ask at all" I'm for it.

Yes this is what I mean.

Thinking about it I think the 2.3f addition could already cover this since questions about CKAN are mostly "Messages that repeat inquiries about updates or content from modders." although I guess the first ever post wouldn't really be a repeat so there might be a need for a specific rule...

For complete coverage I guess the rule should probably be about modmanagers in general since user might start inquireing about KMA2, TinkerTime or some future modmanager instead in the future.

Yes please.  Let CKAN and the other mod managers handle their sphere, and let us handle ours.  Making it a rule should help make the delineation clear to the users who (through no fault of their own) think that modders are responsible for CKAN.

100% agreed.  I personally haven't gotten it, but I have seen mods that I either have contributed slightly to, or followed closely having been constantly asked about CKAN support.

9 hours ago, InsaneDruid said:

As a modder that sees CKAN as an 100% mandatory feature of any mod, I fully agree.

I disagree with your statement but agree with the proposal. I purposely haven't added Larinax Solar System to CKAN because I don't think it is ready yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.