Cinematic ---Duna to Kerbin aerobrake

Friend0rags

Hey! Not a bad (first?) try!

To start with a few initial pointers to really get what I feel to be a cinematic look, I would recommend keeping the GUI off and the mouse off the screen the whole time. Of course, this would depend on what you're going for. If you're going for a full-blown movie style cinematic, I would think this to be essential. Otherwise, immersion can suffer. I do admit that this will make playing the game in order to get the shots more difficult (Shift - F5 and Shift - F9 will become your best friends! :wink:), it really does pay off. This video has a lot of good shots too, with some nice framing. What I did for my very first try was play the game as normal, recording the whole time, and when it came to getting the shots, I'd just line everything up, turn off the GUI and there you go. I'd then cut out everything else later on in editing software (we'll get to that), and boom! You have a pretty gnarly looking cinematic.

Before getting on to video editing software, I want to quickly point out a couple of mods that can really make your cinematics flourish. The one mod I use just for making films is Camera Tools. It will really give you some more flexibility in your shots, especially with the new camera pathing tool that's on its way in. 

In terms of editing software, personally I use Sony Vegas Pro 13. However, Windows Movie Maker is nothing to shake a stick at! (Really!) It's a good place to start, as it makes you focus on the quality of the shots you're producing, without bogging you down in a new editing environment with lots of shiny features. There are a collection of other free ones, and you can find lists of them elsewhere, and I know that other people also enjoy using Adobe Premier. 

There are of course a great number of tricks of the trade that I will leave you to find yourself. After all, I'm still learning too :wink:  

Now, my turn to ask a question...where'd you get that music from? I like it! :P 

Finally, if you wanna check out my latest cinematic, you're more than welcome to! It might give you some ideas:

Making cinematics can be real fun! I hope to see you around some time :)  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.