Forgotten astronaut, huh?? (&Apollo 12)

VincentMcConnell

http://mg.co.za/article/2009-07-19-how-michael-collins-became-the-forgotten-astronaut-of-apollo-11

I don\'t think Collins is a forgotten astronaut at all... He\'s been more public than Neil but not as public as Buzz. And I don\'t know about all of you, but Michael Collins is one of my biggest role models. The CMP of Apollo 11 and the Co-Pilot of Gemini 10 was not a set of easy jobs.

While we\'re talking about forgotten astronauts, how many of you can name every man that has ever flown to the moon? And please, don\'t look it up. Be honest!

I can name them all by memory. I\'ll spoiler it.

Apollo 8:

Frank Borman

Jim Lovell

Bill Anders.

Apollo 10:

Tom Stafford

Gene Cernan

John Young.

Apollo 11:

Neil Armstrong

Michael Collins

Buzz Aldrin.

Apollo 12:

Pete Conrad

Dick Gordon

Alan Bean

Apollo 13

Jim Lovell

Jack Swigert

Fred Haise

Apollo 14:

Alan Shepard

Stu Roosa

Ed Mitchell

Apollo 15:

David Scott

Al Worden

Jim Irwin

Apollo 16:

John Young

T.K. Mattingly

Charlie Duke

Apollo 17:

Gene Cernan

Ronald Evans

Jack Schmitt.

All of those guys are bosses. lol.

Ask anyone on the street who flew in Apollo 11 and they\'ll say 'Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong , and that Other Guy\' and that\'s only if they know there were three astronauts on the mission. I struggle to remember Collins sometimes. Of course the rest of the missions their crews get less attention and love since they didn\'t do any major firsts (that the average Joe cares about).

Ask anyone on the street who flew in Apollo 11 and they\'ll say 'Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong , and that Other Guy\'

That\'s funny, though. It suggests they know about Lunar Orbit Rendezvous and how Collins was the lonely CMP in Lunar Orbit who didn\'t walk on the moon.

I\'ve got my problems with the crews of Apollo 10 and 15. I could name the rest of the crews with a short period of thinbking in the worst cases, but for some reason I don\'t remember Al Worden and Jim Erwin. I also never think of John Young\'s Apollo 10 flight, though he is one of the best astronauts of the early spaceflights.

I knew all three on the Apollo 11 mission, and then Harrison Schmitt, the only geologist to walk on the moon.

I know that Apollo 15 landed near Hadley Rille. It was near the Apenine mountain range, or something like that. If you show me a map of the moon I can point out the landing site. That\'s all off the top of my head.

I know that Apollo 15 landed near Hadley Rille.

Landing Sites, by Mission: Off the top of my head:

Apollo 11: The Sea of Tranquility

Apollo 12: The Ocean of Storms

Apollo 13: N/A

Apollo 14: Fra-Mauro

Apollo 15: Hadley Rille

Apollo 16: Descartes Highlands

Apollo 17: Taurus-Littrow Valley

It\'s kind of hard to imagine John Young on Apollo 10 I guess. I think of him more from Gemini 10, Apollo 16 and STS-1

Yeah, that\'s exactly my problem. I think of Gemini 3, Apollo 16 and STS-1, when I think about him.

Mike Collins actually is one of my favourite Astronauts together with Alan Bean. I liked Alan Bean since I saw 'From the Earth to the Moon', but after I watched 'In the shadow of the moon' I started really liking Michael as he is has a really funny attitude and I liked Alan Bean even more.

Apollo 14: Frau Mauro

It\'s probably a typo, but it\'s called Fra-Mauro.

I think pretty much every astronaut after Apollo 11 is kind of forgotten because most people don\'t remember their names, or even know how many more Apollo missions landed on the Mun. This is interesting because every consequent Apollo mission just got more challenging than the last, but people only really remember the first landing.

Myself included, for a while I had no idea Apollo 12 landed within walking distance of a 2-year old probe. That\'s crazy amazing and it\'s almost a little known fact to the general public.

I think pretty much every astronaut after Apollo 11 is kind of forgotten because most people don\'t remember their names, or even know how many more Apollo missions landed on the Mun. This is interesting because every consequent Apollo mission just got more challenging than the last, but people only really remember the first landing.

Myself included, for a while I had no idea Apollo 12 landed within walking distance of a 2-year old probe. That\'s crazy amazing and it\'s almost a little known fact to the general public.

I think the issue which has been causing this problem now and then is, that most people don\'t see the scientific background behind the missions. It sure was a project to find out, if we could actually do it, but there where so many more things people tend to overlook.

Experiments about solar particles, about the origin of the moon, about the composition of the moon. Those landings were the first steps towards the colonization of other worlds and it was stopped just as NASA did become good in this missions.

Most people see the moon landings as the landing on a boring grey rock and that\'s the problem.

Apollo 12 was my favorite mission due to the mission was to test the pinpoint accurcy of the AGC and the hidden stand-up EVA.

Oh jeez. You saw that LunaCognita video, huh?

There was no 'covert S-EVA.'

LunaCognita believes we hid Aliens on the moon.

Apollo 12 did no such thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.