Forgotten astronaut, huh?? (&Apollo 12)

VincentMcConnell

Apollo 12 always reminds of my birthday, because both was on 14th of November. However it has become one of my favorite missions after watching the Apollo 12 Episode of 'From the Earth to the Moon'.

'Hey, Beano! Turn around and give me a big smile!' :D

I also never think of John Young\'s Apollo 10 flight, though he is one of the best astronauts of the early spaceflights.

What is hardly mentioned is John Young holds records for spaceflights. He flew the first Gemini mission along with Gus Grissom and then later flew Gemini 10 which performed the first dual rendezvous with two Agena target vehicles. After Apollo 10, flew Apollo 16(broke lunar rover speed records) and was a hair\'s-breadth from flying Apollo 17. He then flew two Space Shuttle missions, the maiden voyage of Space Shuttle Columbia, and was on the first Spacelab mission(also on Columbia). He was actually on the roster to be on the shuttle mission deploying the Hubble Telescope, but then the Challenger disaster happened and threw everything out of whack. You want to talk boss? Young is boss.

How I know all this? I had a very cool poster showing the crews of every single US space mission from every manned Mercury flight to STS-51-L, Challenger\'s final mission. Young stood out like a sore thumb in how many times his face popped up. The guy just couldn\'t get enough of space.

It might be a coincidence he also comes from my favorite branch of the military, the US Navy.

The finer details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Young_(astronaut)

When I was a little kid, I remember thinking about what it would be like to be crammed into a little metal capsule for eight days. Actually turns out that the capsule was quite roomy, at least when compared to Gemini and Mercury.

That\'s part of the beauty of zero gravity. It creates a lot more space for activities.

And if you ask ordinary people from ex-USSR about cosmonauts?

Who is definitely known: Gagarin, Titov, Tereshkova, Leonov. Maybe the crews of other Vostoks or Soyuz 4-5.

Older people could remenber the poor crews of Soyuz 1 and Soyuz 11.

Besides them some of the crewmembers of space stations might be named.

Of american astronauts you most likely will get only Armstrong and probably Aldrin. And maybe some ISS crewmembers.

That is the spaceflights were not very puplic in USSR, except for major achievements.

P. S. Who is the boss? For me, Leonov. He has faced death so many times. He did the first spacewalk and had to lower pressure in his suit to get back. He was the commander of the primary crew of both Lunar flyby (a week in a tin can - that\'s L1) and landing (and LK pilot). Who knows how dangerous would be these missions if launched to be the first. He was the commander of the primary crew of the doomed Soyuz 11, but the crew was replaced (almost mysticaly) just before the launch. And once again - the commander of the legendary Soyuz 19 for Soyuz-Apollo.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.