Is there a list of orphaned mods out there?

As the title says...

I've been thinking about mods where the author has either explicitly said that s/he intends to step away, or where s/he hasn't been seen in however long.

Keeping a list of these mods somewhere could help people who have the technical expertise to step in and either take on a mod, or cannibalise it for the purposes of augmenting their own work. This would, of course, only work for mods that have licenses that allow people to take on this work.

I'm thinking specifically about TAC-LS here, but I'm sure there's others as well.

To be clear, I have no technical expertise, however, I'd be happy to curate the list.

Just posting to say that this subject was recently talked about, heatedly, in a thread, where many mod authors contributed... Several were against such a list...

Also, saying Flight Manager for Reusable Stages seems abandoned is pretty irresponsible... Its updated for a KSP version that only became "old" less than TWO WEEKS ago... And if you look, the mod author has been on the forums VERY recently... While the OP hasnt actually posted anything to the thread recently, neither has anyone posted that they tried actually contacting or tagging him.

Someone posted the idea the mod was abandoned, and the next several posts ran with the idea with no real justification...

IIRC, this is one reason why mod devs didnt really like the idea of listing "supposed" abandoned mods... It can lead to people unecessarily forking, and duplicating releases...

I'm more interested in the mods that people have walked away from, or that have been un-updated for several versions. If FMRS was up to date in 1.05, then, yeah, it's not going to need someone to step in.

In any case, as I said, it could only work for permissive licences like CC and so on.

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

Just posting to say that this subject was recently talked about, heatedly, in a thread, where many mod authors contributed... Several were against such a list...

Also, saying Flight Manager for Reusable Stages seems abandoned is pretty irresponsible... Its updated for a KSP version that only became "old" less than TWO WEEKS ago... And if you look, the mod author has been on the forums VERY recently... While the OP hasnt actually posted anything to the thread recently, neither has anyone posted that they tried actually contacting or tagging him.

Someone posted the idea the mod was abandoned, and the next several posts ran with the idea with no real justification...

IIRC, this is one reason why mod devs didnt really like the idea of listing "supposed" abandoned mods... It can lead to people unecessarily forking, and duplicating releases...

Alright, i was at the mod discussion, and someone was saying the mod author was inactive for 5 months, so 5 months absence led me to believe it was abandoned, lets wait for news then, ty for the heads up.

What about a thread with a maintainer where modders can ask for inscribing their mod into an adoption list?

If someone will abandon their mods can make a post, and it will be added to the list so anybody can adopt the mod

Basically will the mod author who puts his mod into the list, the maintainer only upload the thread.

NOTE; There are some mods that aren't dead, they just update slowly. Look at NovaPunch. No release since last May and it's not dead yet according to Tiberion.

Also note that even though KW is inactive there's already community patches getting it up to speed; same thing for lots of smaller mods, too! Research before saying that it's dead and that no one's working on it.

On 25/4/2016 at 10:45 PM, VektorWorlds said:

Also note that even though KW is inactive there's already community patches getting it up to speed; same thing for lots of smaller mods, too! Research before saying that it's dead and that no one's working on it.

That's actually what I'm sort of trying to encourage...

14 hours ago, Delta_8930 said:

Cacteye Telescopes; really hope someone would continue with it as it is one of my favorite mods and I only have experience with 3D modeling - I have little to no experience with plugins.

I really wish people would leave it at least a couple of weeks after an update to declare a mod 'dead'.

EDIT: sorry, I only saw it was updated for 1.1.1 and not that it was his last update. My bad.

Edited by Firex

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.