Valentina and the start menu

Flashblade

This is something that has bothered me practically since Valentina became part of the game. It is a minor issue but I need to get it out of my system. Maybe this has been discussed previously but a quick search did not get me any result so bear with me please. Quite frankly it bothers me that Valentina is by her lonesome self on the start game screen. Her facial expression also says this is kind of meh. She clearly doesn't enjoy herself. Having her seperated from Jeb, Bill and Bob who are on the mainmenu and all have slight smiles always gives me the feeling that she is some sort of ostracized loner. Like that one person who always gets bullied by the aholes in highschool. Of course this is not at all how it is represented in the rest of the game and shouldn't be. That is why I feel the disconnect is all the stronger at that point. Personally I think she should be surrounded by the boys on her screen like a welcome to the new team member. @KasperVld why did Valentina end up alone and somewhat lost looking on her own screen?

Quite possibly she was added to the home screen as an after thought and was cheap to add her on that screen without any other animation?

I mean, I do get your point, it looks as if she was abandoned by the rest of the team and it could be nicer if she is on mun, laying on a chair having sun... sort of like chilling out.

Clearly she was added after the image was already made.

Her visor doesn't even have the same yellowish tint that the others do.

However, if you are implying some sort of chauvinism on Squads part, I think you are reading into it a little bit too much. (To be perfectly frank we don't even know that Kerbal's have a gender, Just because Val has a pony tail and slightly feminine features doesn't prove she's biologically different in any meaningful way.)

It's not a separate screen, its clearly a camera pan. She is just some degrees to the right. Having BBJ appear again would mean they teleported or doubled.

Graphically, having 3+1 is also nicer than 4 kerbals in one screen. And where BBJ have to share, she dominates her own menu.

And: really? I mean really? THIS is something to bother about?

Then why don't bother about one of them is upside-down? Why is DRES not on the screen, but kerbin? :wink:

You'll notice that the loading screen image has been replaced by a picure with two of the three plus Val. Don't know which of Jeb/Bill, Jeb/Bob, or Bill/Bob it is, and the only reason we know it's any of these characters in particular is because they're explicitly wearing their orange suits. Presumeably the other guy was holding the camera?

we can't comfirm the identities of any of the kerbals on the menu screen, by the way, since they're all wearing white suits!

On 24/04/2016 at 2:11 PM, klgraham1013 said:

Dres always gets the shaft.

quite right too.

If it wants that to stop it should develop an atmosphere or colour or basically anything to make it look different from the mun when you orbit it.

The whole scene is actually fake and is shot in a studio. If they place Val in front of the boys the shadows would reveal that it's all fake, and if they put her on the side she'll fall through the studio backdrop. This is also why she did not have a visor initially in 1.0; an oversight that truly revealed the nature of this atrocity. Of course this was fixed but by then the secret was out.

But Kerbart! It is a game! Would what stop Squad from putting them in orbit inside their game?”

Obviously, whoever asks that has never witnessed a Squadcast. None of the Squad cast can fly a rocket if their life would depend on it, let only manage to get four Kerbals to bunch together like that in space.

Actually all they did was add her.  Before she was introduced, you got the 3 primes on the main menu and the start menu was only the words and the backdrop - no kerbal in frame.  When Val was installed, she appeared in the empty space to the right of the start menu.  First iteration had NO visor shading, making it appear that her helmet was open to vacuum.

9 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Obviously, whoever asks that has never witnessed a Squadcast. None of the Squad cast can fly a rocket if their life would depend on it, let only manage to get four Kerbals to bunch together like that in space.

TRUTHS.

On 24.4.2016 at 1:58 PM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

However, if you are implying some sort of chauvinism on Squads part, I think you are reading into it a little bit too much. (To be perfectly frank we don't even know that Kerbal's have a gender, Just because Val has a pony tail and slightly feminine features doesn't prove she's biologically different in any meaningful way.)

Oh the hell no, I know the feminist discussion is literally everywhere these days but it has absolutely nothing to do with this. I find it sad that you are basically forced to preface everything with not a feminist complaint these days that is about men and women. I would have had the same reaction to this if they had introduced a new team member called Boris and he would be floating about alone looking like "this isn't that great".

Edited by Flashblade

2 hours ago, Flashblade said:

Oh the hell no, I know the feminist discussion is literally everywhere these days but it has absolutely nothing to do with this. I find it sad that you are basically forced to preface everything with not a feminist complaint these days that is about men and women. I would have had the same reaction to this if they had introduced a new team member called Boris and he would be floating about alone looking like "this isn't that great".

I wasn't accusing you of anything, just musing.

My point was mainly that Kerbals are likely asexual.

I don't really have an opinion on feminism one way or the other nor did I intend to imply that you did. Apologies for any misunderstandings.:wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.