[1.1] Far From Kerbin- Simple Temporary Bases - A new way of colonization (0.2)

mbalint

TEMPORARILY DOWN!!

I'll back in summer!

Hey rocketeers!

Let me introduce the <advertisement goes here>

Far From Kerbin mod!

Boring things about me and this mod:

Spoiler

This is my first ksp mod... and this is my first mod at all... and this is my first open-source code... So yeah, please handle with care!

I know this is not a ground-braking mod, but I think It's not bad for the first time!:cool:

I spend more than a month making this, because I had to experiment with things

UPDATE: 0.2 is here!

News:

Spoiler
  • Fixed the science lab and experiment bug
  • Added mod filters
  • Fixed random loading bug

Why I need this? Features:

• Why would you bring heavy printing materials with you, when there's a lot of things on the surface of the planets? Simply collect some planetary rock-fragment (aka dirt), from the surface with a special vacuum based-electromagnetic-fragment-collector (aka big vacuum cleaner)!
  • Use the collected materials to print building blocks, with the help of the Ulti-Compress-Machine
  • Use the printed blocks to build the base of your dream
  • The blocks can be configured to different modes, like a ware or a bionics module (aka garden)
  • Use the internal walk option to walk around your base
  • Use the STB EVA Backpack to carry resources on an EVA!
  • USI Life Support support! (other ls supports are planned)
  • Modder friendly: I designed it to be easy to mod, and extend!
  • Inspired by: http://www.esa.int/Highlights/Lunar_3D_printing

Parts:

• Ulti-Compress-Machine: This is the machine that can be used to print the building blocks
  • Ulti-Planetary-Rock-Fragment-Collector: This machine can collect printing material for the printing machine
  • Building blocks:
    • Airlock: The main part of your base. This provides the base life support and things like that...
    • Corridor: The most important part. By default it just a corridor, but with some resources it can be configured to other really useful things
    • Structural block: It's really just a block.

Warning!

This mod is VERY work-in-progress

If you see bug please report here, or on github!

Known Issues:

• It's too perfect :cool: (Seriously, please report, if you have an issue)

Screen Shots: I cannot make the embedded version working here is a link

Required mods:

You can easily extend this mod:

Spoiler

You can easily create your own mode for the corridor block.

The main module reads them from config files. Here is a template(You can find the default configs in FarFromKerbin\Parts\Modes):

STBMODE
{
//the display name
modeName = Bionics Module

//the name of the model (IMPORTANT: in the same directory)
model = BionicsMode

//The cost of construction
RESOURCE-COST
{
	name = MetalPakk
	amount = 5
}
RESOURCE-COST
{
	name = ElektricPakk
	amount = 2.5
}
RESOURCE-COST
{
	name = SciencePakk
	amount = 1
}

//If your mode needs another mods, put the names here.
MOD-DEPENDENCY
{
	//The name of the required assembly
	name = USILifeSupport
}

//the name of part module
MODULE
{
	name = ModuleResourceConverter
	ConverterName = Agroponics
	tag = Agroponics
	StartActionName = Start Agroponics
	StopActionName = Stop Agroponics
	INPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		ResourceName = Mulch
		Ratio =  0.0045
	}
	INPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		ResourceName = Fertilizer
		Ratio =  0.0006
	}
	OUTPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		ResourceName = Supplies
		Ratio = 0.0051
		DumpExcess = False
	}
	INPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		ResourceName = ElectricCharge
		Ratio = 20
	}
}
//resources
RESOURCE
{
	name = Mulch
	amount = 0
	maxAmount = 500
}
RESOURCE
{
	name = Supplies
	amount = 500
	maxAmount = 500
}
RESOURCE
{
	name = Fertilizer
	amount = 500
	maxAmount = 500
}
}

ToDo list:

Spoiler
  • Fix the bugs
  • Add more modes
  • Save the internal walk position, when you switch to an other vessel
  • Fix the collector's shaders

Credits, licenses, and things that most of you won't read :confused::

• This mod licensed under: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0
  • License thingies:
    • Communty Resource Pack: Made by the Roverdude, distributed under it's own license
    • ModuleManager: Made by ialdabaoth & sarbian, distributed under it's own license.
  • Thanks to:
    • ObiVanDamme - For some code bits form OSE Workshop
    • KospY and Winn75  - For making KIS, my favorite mod   
  • This mod includes version checking using MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the internet to check whether there is a new version available. Data is only read from the internet and no personal information is sent. For a more comprehensive version checking experience, please download the KSP-AVC Plugin.
    •  
Edited by mbalint

11 minutes ago, Seeker89 said:

Oooo... Something like this?

Robot printing a bridge

Yes, in a future version, you could control a robot arm, that can print everything, like a dome or a flat launch site!

The esa is working on a moon base plan, where robots would print the protective shell around the base. I've put a link in the features list.

3 hours ago, mbalint said:

Yes, in a future version, you could control a robot arm, that can print everything, like a dome or a flat launch site!

The esa is working on a moon base plan, where robots would print the protective shell around the base. I've put a link in the features list.

Just thinking about this from a resources and parts POV, you need fairly finely powdered dirt, glue, and some form of compressed gas to move the dirt and glue through the printing robot.  The dirt you get on-site via some auger/vacuum-type machine, although you might need another machine to pulverize it.  if you were doing this in an atmosphere you could use that gas (whatever it is, provided it's not too corrosive) but you'd have to have  an intake and a compressor.  If you were doing this in a vacuum, you'd need to bring your own tank of compressed gas.  Plus tanks of glue.  And the glue would need to be fairly special to avoid degrading from radiation or other environmental factors.

Instead of glue, you might instead use beaucoup heat to vitrify the dirt, so you'd be building a glass house :)

Edited by Geschosskopf

7 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Just thinking about this from a resources and parts POV, you need fairly finely powdered dirt, glue, and some form of compressed gas to move the dirt and glue through the printing robot.  The dirt you get on-site via some auger/vacuum-type machine, although you might need another machine to pulverize it.  if you were doing this in an atmosphere you could use that gas (whatever it is, provided it's not too corrosive) but you'd have to have  an intake and a compressor.  If you were doing this in a vacuum, you'd need to bring your own tank of compressed gas.  Plus tanks of glue.  And the glue would need to be fairly special to avoid degrading from radiation or other environmental factors.

Instead of glue, you might instead use beaucoup heat to vitrify the dirt, so you'd be building a glass house :)

It works with kerbal black magic! :)

59 minutes ago, KingMonkeyNuts said:

I will try this out tonight! Do you have any screen shots of what you can build with this mod?

Hi, and thanks for trying the mod, but, as mentioned in the post, it's a very early release, so currently there's no much parts in the mod, BUT I hope I can release  an update with some new features, at the weekend!:)

Edited by mbalint

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I can't figure out what this mod does or how to use the parts.

My understanding is that you use the Collector to mine dirt, which the Compressor then uses to make blocks.  But this isn't work happens.

First off, the Collector does nothing at all.  It has no buttons on its GUI so you can't do anything at all with it.  And it can't retract/extend, either.

So then I added a tank of Dirt to the rover and also filled the Dirt tanks of the Compressor and Collector.  Then I told the Compressor to "Start Making".  And it said it needed Ore.  So I added an Ore tank to the Rover and tried again.  This time the Compressor said it couldn't make anything because all the tanks for the various "Pakks" were full.

I don't know what these "Pakks" are for.  Are they components of the various building blocks?  The Compressor has no buttons that let you choose which type of "Pakk" to make, and there is nothing at all about making blocks, which is the ultimate goal.

So, how do you use this?  What are the Pakks for?  How to you create blocks?  How do you build a base out of the blocks?

Here's a pic of my rover sitting there doing nothing:

FFK Stuff

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, again...:blush:

I thought creating a mod will be easy, but it seems like it doesn't.

I received an important job, and now I really don't have time for making this mod, although I had big plans.:(

So I decided to shut it down, until I have time to fix all the bugs, and finish the project.

I promise, I'll be back, in the summer, with a much better (and working) mod!

I hope you understand the reason, and thanks to that more than 700 people who gave it a try!!

And Geschosskopf, I know about that bug, probably a 1.1.2 compatibility bug, but I have no idea about that.:(

Edited by mbalint

Due to the empty .zip you've uploaded CKAN has to temporarily disable automatic indexing of new releases of your mod. Whenever you release a new version of the mod please open an issue on our github or post in our thread so we can resume. This will have no effect on existing versions of the mod being indexed in CKAN.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/10/2017 at 0:31 PM, NobodyImportant said:

DUUUUUUDE COME BAAACK! :0.0:

PLEASE!

Or at least put the code up somewhere, this mod was awesome and i so need it. :sticktongue:

Is this something you are interested in?  I have a (somewhat) working version of this, compiled for 1.2.2

Let me know.  I would not be doing any model work, just getting the code working again

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.