[1.12.3] KISS - Kerbal Improved Save System

Aerospike

I think to help with @Nikecow's suggestion of more sorting options, it would really help to at least pad the years and days with zeros. So, Y9_D34_00_22_21 becomes Y009_D034_00_22_21. This would make the default sort also be a sort-by-date, and make it much easier to get the "most recent" save in the load screen (by always scrolling right to the bottom). I manually padded all my < 10 years with a zero so it works okay, but it's still a bit annoying that the days aren't padded, because I'm sometimes thrown off by it being a bit up the list (or down when in reverse order).

Thanks for the suggestion guys! I really don't know why I didn't think about padding the game time string, as none-padded numbers and sorting tend to be one of those things that usually drive me crazy in all kinds of software.

I'll make sure to add that sometime in the next few days. :-)

This looks really interesting and looking forward to trying it out.

From the OP notes, one of the items for future development was replacing the VAB/SPH file management GUIs. Just wondering if that's something that is a soon-ish priority? (no pressure, only asking)

I don't have to tell YOU how annoying the default GUIs are. :P  Would be awesome to have an all-encompassing mod that does it better.

Edited by scottadges

I've noticed an odd quirk. I have KISS set for no-gui quicksaves and some of the in game audio channels seems to toggle each time I hit F8. Hit it to save and the game mutes, hit it again and the audio comes back. Music isn't affected, but I've noticed it affect  the ambient ship noise, Chatterer, and the science transmission modem chirps. Saves still work fine, I just seem to end up with a lot of them.

tail end of Output_Log.txt from just before F8 through end of file after after F8 hit (extra blank lines trimmed)

[UIMasterController]: ShowUI
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)
Game Paused!
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)
[KISS]: saveDir found!
Flight State Captured
Saving Achievements Tree...
[MessageSystem] Save Messages
Game State Saved to saves/Career Mode/20180701_103921_Mun Station
[KISS]: Game saved in '20180701_103921_Mun Station'
[KISS]: SaveDialog completed.
Game Unpaused!

• 1 month later...

Hi, just a small feature request/bug report.

This plugin allows some characters in the filename of the save that KSP doesn't like. For instance my ship is called MunLander1.1 (yes, with a dot), and the KISS popup lets me save the game like '20180824_202111_MunLander1.1'. Which then resolves in an unload-able savegame; KSP telling me the savegame doesn't exist after selecting it to load.
I saw some post on previous page with the same issue I think. Quick workaround is to rename the files in explorer and then load them in KSP.

Great unmissable mod though, keep up the good work :D .

(Using KSP 1.4.5 on win10/64x, with latest version of mod).

Hey guys, sorry for my absence in this thread and maintaining and improving KISS. I just came back from family vacation and with my wedding now in the past, my free time should improve noticeable in the next weeks.

Thank you for all your input and error reports, I'll take some time this week to look into all the issues and see what I can do. :)

@Tonka CrashNothing that kiss does should influence the audio of KSP, maybe chatterer also uses F8 as a hotkey?

That said: I remember that the KSP 1.4.4 or 1.4.5 changelog mentioned some fixed audio issues, maybe that was related?

Edited by Aerospike
fixed formatting error

On 6/30/2018 at 8:38 PM, scottadges said:

This looks really interesting and looking forward to trying it out.

From the OP notes, one of the items for future development was replacing the VAB/SPH file management GUIs. Just wondering if that's something that is a soon-ish priority? (no pressure, only asking)

I don't have to tell YOU how annoying the default GUIs are. :P  Would be awesome to have an all-encompassing mod that does it better.

There are a few mods out there that handle this, but my favourite is CraftHistory. I use it to organize craft into folders, and more importantly autosave the last craft I worked on(without overwriting.)

• 2 months later...

New release is finally out!

I have tried to reproduce the issue with savegames that contain characters like ".", but those load just fine on my machine.

@badS & @Gordon Dry

I think you should like the new sortable gametime timestamps :)
Let me know what you think about it. Especially if 99999 years is enough for you guys or if your games run longer :D

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 8:55 PM, Aerospike said:

I think you should like the new sortable gametime timestamps :)
Let me know what you think about it. Especially if 99999 years is enough for you guys or if your games run longer :D

@Aerospike

I've come here just for that! More zeros before the numbers, so they sort correctly by time with alphabetical order.

If it is not much trouble for you and you don't mind, would be nice to have a recompile for 1.3.1. When trying to use the last one, the game loads, but semi-freeze when pressing F8 (I can still access the esc menu and it's options, nothing more). Hope this give some easier starting point.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2018 at 1:04 PM, MaximumThrust said:

@Aerospike

I've come here just for that! More zeros before the numbers, so they sort correctly by time with alphabetical order.

Hello @MaximumThrust

Your games are running 100000 years in-game time or longer? :)
Everything else should be padded enough or am I missing something?

Edited by Aerospike

@MaximumThrust

Here is a special release just for you (and anybody else still playing in 1.3.1):
https://github.com/KerbalSpike/KerbalImprovedSaveSystem/releases/tag/v2.4.0_legacy_KSP1.3.1

As far as I can tell with some limited tests, simply compiling the current version of the mod against KSP 1.3.1 seems to be enough to make it work. No special adaptions required.

Hope this helps! :cool:

• 1 year later...

Hello! For some reason, with the 1.9.1 update the config file isn't being generated at "GameData\KerbalImprovedSaveSystem\Plugins\PluginData\KerbalImprovedSaveSystem". The mod is installed, but the gui does not appear in-game and there is no xml file there like in previous versions:

ttinbTj.png

I was able to get the mod working again by taking a copy of the xml file from a previous install and pasting it there. Has this occurred to you before?  

Edited by Avera9eJoe

32 minutes ago, stk2008 said:

I use 1.8.1 should I not be using this  then?.

Can I safley remove this mod from my current save? :(

Thanks

It seems to be fine in 1.8.1.

And yes, it can be safely removed.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Hate to say it, but this mod uses threads, which is a big no-no in 1.8 and above.  Threads is what broke MiniAVC.

I had to remove this because of some strange errors, most likely IMHO the threads

Just to follow up on this, I have opened an issue on Gitlab about this problem.

Oh thats great if its working ok in 1.8.1 I shall keep it thenas its a really good mod :)

Thanks for getting back to me :).

P.S

you are mad I see all the mods you currently maintain :O damn thats a lot not that I am complaining LOL thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 1:51 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Hate to say it, but this mod uses threads, which is a big no-no in 1.8 and above.  Threads is what broke MiniAVC.

I had to remove this because of some strange errors, most likely IMHO the threads

On 5/12/2020 at 2:58 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Just to follow up on this, I have opened an issue on Gitlab about this problem.

@linuxgurugamer Could you please explain this issue in more detail?

I just looked at the code of KISS (haven't really done that in many months...) and I can't find any explicit use of threads. Of course there might be some implicit use of threads by Unity (or System) classes but I would not know where to start in finding any of those "hidden" issues.

Also: what gitlab issue are you talking about? My source is on github and I can't find any new issue there...

48 minutes ago, Aerospike said:

@linuxgurugamer Could you please explain this issue in more detail?

I just looked at the code of KISS (haven't really done that in many months...) and I can't find any explicit use of threads. Of course there might be some implicit use of threads by Unity (or System) classes but I would not know where to start in finding any of those "hidden" issues.

Also: what gitlab issue are you talking about? My source is on github and I can't find any new issue there...

For the life of me, I can't remember.  I probably got this confused with a different mod, and I humbly apologize for the misreport.

I reviewed the code and can't find the stuff I "remember' seeing, so it must have been a different one

Thank you for taking a second look!

I'm glad that you didn't spot any obvious issues.

Still there is a lot of work to do for me, beginning with the old legacy UI and the overall structure of the plug-in. I really should refactor the code quite a bit.

Edited by Aerospike

On 5/12/2020 at 1:30 PM, Avera9eJoe said:

Hello! For some reason, with the 1.9.1 update the config file isn't being generated at "GameData\KerbalImprovedSaveSystem\Plugins\PluginData\KerbalImprovedSaveSystem". The mod is installed, but the gui does not appear in-game and there is no xml file there like in previous versions:

I was able to get the mod working again by taking a copy of the xml file from a previous install and pasting it there. Has this occurred to you before?  

I can't reproduce this issue. I tried it with a clean install multiple times, but the config file was always created.

I have released a small update anyway. It's just a recompile against KSP 1.9.1, so don't expect anything new. ;)

9 minutes ago, Aerospike said:

I can't reproduce this issue. I tried it with a clean install multiple times, but the config file was always created.

I have released a small update anyway. It's just a recompile against KSP 1.9.1, so don't expect anything new. ;)

Awesome :) its still good to know its fresh!

On 6/4/2020 at 4:39 PM, Aerospike said:
On 5/12/2020 at 7:30 AM, Avera9eJoe said:

I have released a small update anyway. It's just a recompile against KSP 1.9.1, so don't expect anything new.

Same thing is happening to me.  Same solution did not help

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3ysrlbjk9qsehi/KISSNoCfgNoShow.zip?dl=0

I've tried it in 3 different installs, all 1.9.1, but with different numbers of mods, from minimal to >200.  Doesn't for for any of them

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I've been looking at your code.  I saw that nothing will create the file until you get into the game (spacecenter and/or flight); so went there and back, the file wasn't created.  I did see that the InitSettings WAS called after going to the SpaceCenter, but the Close was never reached.

The UI did open up when I hit the F8 while in the space center.

What I'm missing is the UI at the main menu, where I can backup all saves and/or do a restore, etc

Oh my.  I just realized that I got my mods mixed up.  KISS is working fine, sorry for the false alarm.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.