Minmus is my favorite moon.

Fritzypoo

When I play stock I try to limit my visits to the Mun and Minmus to a few, just enough to beef up my early unlocks.  Vanilla KSP is very easy to me, very little challenge left, so I try to make it at least a little interesting instead of cheesing the easy mode parts of the game.

Minmus is my favorite too. It has such interesting, varied terrain. Perfectly flat beds surrounded by tall, steep hills from which you can see the curvature of the tiny moon. It's so pretty and feels just like an old space movie. I would totally want to live on a base there!

I like Minmus. The Mun is somewhat familiar, we've seen the moon in movies, pictures, video, etc. Minmus is something new, alien, and beautiful. Looking back and seeing Kerbin and Mun at a distance, it  feels like deep space is just a step away. 

And it's shiny, bright, smooth and pretty. 

Also, Minmus makes for a great mining and refuelling stop for large interplanetary ships. A reusable mining lander paired with an orbital fuel processing and storage depot, along with minuscule gravity and negligible delta V for any orbital maneuvers near Minmus can save you millions and millions in (un)launched fuel (at the cost of time, though).

It's so awesome that it *does* feel like mint icecream. I love Minmus!

Minmus's Greater Flats are the best spot for drag racing in the entire universe! Right until the part where you realize that you can achieve orbital velocity on the ground, start to rename 3 Kerbals to James, Jeremy and Richard and ask the "what could possibly go wrong" question.

Edited by elpollodiablo

9 hours ago, N_Danger said:

I was recently able to land in a new science game at the lesser flats. I was close enough to the slopes and midlands to send Val via RCS to each of them. Hoppers are good but flying by RCS on Minmus for the win!

You know what this makes me want to try?  Landing a really lightweight lander on Minmus, having some wheels on it, and getting out and pushing it to the next biome.  Sure, I could use solar panels, but where's the fun in that?

Wemb

Good place for a fuel depot for outbound interplanetaries, easy to land on due to flats, easy to get to from Kerbin, low gravity, more science than Mun, pretty green colour. Minmus has everything except an atmosphere, and that's not necessarily a good thing to have, so... Minmus has everything!

On 2016-04-25 at 9:24 PM, regex said:

When I play stock I try to limit my visits to the Mun and Minmus to a few, just enough to beef up my early unlocks.  Vanilla KSP is very easy to me, very little challenge left, so I try to make it at least a little interesting instead of cheesing the easy mode parts of the game.

Cheesing?  Cheesing???  You barely get any science from that at all.  Why, I did a massive, hugely expensive mission to Minmus that hit all the equatorial biomes (ie all but poles ,and only because I was too lazy to go to the poles, had plenty of fuel to do it).  It cost me eight hundred BILLION funds and only returned 0.2 science!

See, I have proof:

V7ynKBv.jpg

Oh no wait it cost less than 60k and returned almost 4k science even though I had no gravioli or seismic sensor at the time (I certainly did afterwards though~  #opscience)

*cough*

Still, it is my favorite place to visit.  It somehow looks sparkly to my eyes and the low grav is fun.  It's like a shinier Pol without the bloody invisible walls.

7 minutes ago, Renegrade said:

Cheesing?  Cheesing???  You barely get any science from that at all.  Why, I did a massive, hugely expensive mission to Minmus that hit all the equatorial biomes (ie all but poles ,and only because I was too lazy to go to the poles, had plenty of fuel to do it).  It cost me eight hundred BILLION funds and only returned 0.2 science!

See, I have proof:

V7ynKBv.jpg

Oh no wait it cost less than 60k and returned almost 4k science even though I had no gravioli or seismic sensor at the time (I certainly did afterwards though~  #opscience)

*cough*

Still, it is my favorite place to visit.  It somehow looks sparkly to my eyes and the low grav is fun.  It's like a shinier Pol without the bloody invisible walls.

Try 20% science. In my .90 career save, I brought a spaceplane to Laythe while still only having basic jet engines, stranded some kerbals there, and used the science to unlock the turbojet. By then, I had already got science from Minmus (though only a few biomes), two biomes on Ike, and a biome on Duna, in addition to a few of the Mun's biomes, Jool orbit transmitted science, and low solar orbit transmitted science.

I like Minmus, it is quite fun to jetpack there with the EVA pack, and with larger jetpacks. I need to (and will, very soon) try out Vall, though, as that moon looks like Minmus, except larger and around a beautiful gas giant.

On 4/25/2016 at 9:24 PM, regex said:

I'm with you on this.  I limit myself to one trip to Mun and Minmus while working through the tree because otherwise I've unlocked the tree without going anywhere.  Once the tree is done, I exploit the heck out of it as a mining base.

Minmus is magnificent. Easy to get to, easy to land on, great for science, great for mining and refueling, beautiful scenery, fresh minty flavor, fun acrobatics in low gravity, all-natural runways.

Some of my favorite missions have involved spaceplanes that take off horizontally from the runway on Kerbin and land horizontally on the flats on Minmus. Landing gear with brakes is like delta-vee that you don't have to pay for!

(Taking off again is a little trickier; wings don't really do much with no atmosphere... but as long as you can get going sideways fast enough and pitch your nosecone up just a little bit--boom, orbit! But look out for that ridge up ahead!)

@AbacusWizard Isn't there so much fun to be had in Minmus' varied environment? When I advance my tech tree enough in my current career game I'll build a whole fleet of stuff to sent to Minmus! There'll be an orbiting station, a surface base or two, and I'll try to make a SSTO spaceplane that can deliver base modules to the surface! I've always wanted to do that, but never got around to it. Maybe I should make a thread for it in Mission Reports when I get around to it.

On 2016-04-26 at 10:58 PM, LaytheDragon said:

Try 20% science. In my .90 career save, I brought a spaceplane to Laythe while still only having basic jet engines, stranded some kerbals there, and used the science to unlock the turbojet. By then, I had already got science from Minmus (though only a few biomes), two biomes on Ike, and a biome on Duna, in addition to a few of the Mun's biomes, Jool orbit transmitted science, and low solar orbit transmitted science.

I did in the past, and found it quite grindy (I've actually tried various settings between 10% and 30% back then, plus the defaults).  I've started a new save now with 20% to see how it is today - still grindy. 

The problem with scaling like that is that the tree itself is lumpy - sometimes it progresses quickly, and other times slowly, so modifying the return rate will always leave something feeling off.  For example, if you adjust to make the fastest parts seem okay, everything else will be an awful grind.  However if you adjust for the slowest parts, the fastest parts will still zip by.

Well that and a lot of the tree makes zero sense from a gameplay OR realism stance.  Why are the multi-couplers for 2.5m->1.25m in a tier 9 node, when the #ridiculouslyOP reaction wheel (oops sorry reflex) cubic octag is in like a tier 5 node? (or was that tier 6? I forget).  Oh well, guess it's time to update my Horrible Nerf™ to 1.1.0 er 1.1.1..

I like Minmus, it is quite fun to jetpack there with the EVA pack, and with larger jetpacks. I need to (and will, very soon) try out Vall, though, as that moon looks like Minmus, except larger and around a beautiful gas giant.

Vall is indeed also quite pretty.  A very elegant place.  Just be warned that it's a heavier-grav place than Minmus (it's like a diet version of Moho or Duna).   Pol/Bop are more Minmus-like in mass/radius (and therefore surface gravity), but Pol has invisible walls to crash into and Bop looks like a, well, dropping.

51 minutes ago, Renegrade said:

I did in the past, and found it quite grindy (I've actually tried various settings between 10% and 30% back then, plus the defaults).  I've started a new save now with 20% to see how it is today - still grindy. 

I completely agree with this, though I find that once Mun and the topic of this thread are breached and bring yields, one is almost completely done with the biggest "grind" (getting to Duna and Ike was fun and not grindy at all in the save I mentioned, after landing on the Mun and Minmus).

I'm another Minmus fan. Apart from the fuel stop aspect -- for a mining-capable vessel, Minmus is halfway to anywhere -- it's the combination of easy accessibility and low gravity that invites to play with completely new methods of transportation. Sane ones as well as silly ones...

nkovugg.gif

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.