[Resolved] Orbit Line Disappears Upon Achieving Escape Trajectory [1.1.2]

My map view breaks as soon as I achieve escape velocity from Kerbin; the orbit line will disappear, I can no longer place maneouvre nodes, and the frame rate deteriorates.

I've tried reversing the orbit line fade direction and reducing it to 50%, but it makes no difference.

Is this a known bug?

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

Edited by Jens Lyn IV
Works for me with version 1.1.3

I reinstalled the game after backing up settings.cfg. Testing with default settings on a clean install, I cannot reproduce this. After restoring my settings, the problem returns. I guess I'll have to reinstall again and manually change my settings one at a time...

I have the exact same issue. I completely uninstalled the game and deleted all left files. After a clean install still the same issue. Whenever you find a solution for this please reply because the game is unplayable in current state. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Only thing I can see is that you both are in fullscreen (1920x1080 for Omikronlex and 1920x1200 for Jens Lyn IV), and you both have edge highlighting on.

Does this still do this in windowed mode? With edge highlighting off?

Update: I have now reproduced this bug on a clean install, with default settings.

Steps to reproduce:

1. On a fresh game install, create a new sandbox game.
  2. Launch this craft; the only input needed is staging. It will achieve Kerbin escape.
  3. Switch to map view. No orbit line will be visible except behind the craft, the symbol indicating the point of escape from Kerbin's SOI will be missing, as will the predicted Sun orbit.

The above should be consistent on the initial attempt; the bug becomes somewhat intermittent after one or more reverts.

System specs, in case they matter:

• i7-2700K @ 4 GHz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB
  • Asus GeForce GTX 960 4 GB
  • Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Danish
Edited by Jens Lyn IV

Well, I can confirm it does as you say, fwiw. (2x Xeon 5472 @ 3Ghz, Radeon HD 5770 1GB, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.11.4)

After one revert the orbit ahead was there, but not on the first try. I didn't use a new savegame but a standard default sandbox (day 1) that I've used for a number of tests.

Quit, rebooted, tried again, same thing.

I made a quicksave and expected to see something odd like NaN for the orbit somewhere, but it looked normal enough.

So there you go... calling @sal_vager, calling...

In my experience, the same. Mind you, this was before I reinstalled, but this bug seems to depend on something other than the flight path. Before I gave up playing, no amount of reverting would fix it, and that was with real, useful craft, flown through proper gravity turns, not silly test contraptions designed for expediency and fired straight up.

At this point, I've done about as much testing as I can be bothered to.

Windowed mode without edge highlighting doesn't help. And not going only straight up results in the same problem, as Jens already said, I also had real useful crafts with lander + rover stuff , or parts from a space station or other stuff. Allways resulting in this bug. The "straight up" thing is only the easiest way to repoduce the bug and test, if it still occurs. Which it sadly does.

• 2 weeks later...

As @Jens Lyn IV pointed out in "my" thread (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/140572-112-ship-trajectory-disappears-huge-frame-drop/) it looks like we are experiencing the same bug. I've tried to fly his test ship and I have the same behavioras him.

My settings.cfg is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Yi_mKwX3aIQnV2X3hOaVJDSms/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.

I've reproduced this in 1.1.1.

I was so close to make my first jool5 attempt... that's really frustrating.

Edit: also tried many graphics settings from lowest to highest, tried with wine (linux), tried to play with "max physics delta time"

Edit 2: reproduced in 1.1.0 with this ship https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Yi_mKwX3aIOUFIUmhjZzE5QWc/view?usp=sharing @sal_vager if you have some time it would be great if you could investigate this.

Edited by Irvin

Last but not least, here are the output logs from 1.1.0 (clean fresh install) and 1.1.2 (modded), I've deleted 1.1.1 since my last post.

It's filled with lines like this:

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

getObtAtUT infinite UT on elliptical orbit UT: -Infinity, returning NaN

And then it goes on and on like that...

Links to the logs:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Yi_mKwX3aIT0RXbUV5eFlDUkU/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Yi_mKwX3aIdHRFM1hvMFhPVkE/view?usp=sharing

Hi Irvin, good to have some fresh input.

I tested the debugging tool and I get the same message as you. I also looked at the performance tab and I had a little above 140 fps (as I set the fps limiter to 140fps due to my monitor's 144hz) and once I reach the critical spot, where the frame drops, it shows me that it drops down to 25fps, even though its pretty much exactly 3 fps.

Also: When I leave the lagging rocket where it is and go to the space center, the space center is all fine with its 140 fps. I go to the tracking station and it shows me the kerbol system and still everything fine. But the moment I click on the "tracked objects" ship it drops fps to 3 again. if i leave the tracking station all fine again.

So its only with the particular ship that has a bugged trajectory. But no matter how many ships I send into space, every single one has the critical spot. So the only thing I can do now is visit Mun and Minmus...... a lot.... .__.

PS: Also tested it with 1.1 prerelease today, but same...

11 hours ago, Irvin said:

I've reproduced this in 1.1.1.

I was so close to make my first jool5 attempt... that's really frustrating.

Edit: also tried many graphics settings from lowest to highest, tried with wine (linux), tried to play with "max physics delta time"

Edit 2: reproduced in 1.1.0 with this ship https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Yi_mKwX3aIOUFIUmhjZzE5QWc/view?usp=sharing @sal_vager if you have some time it would be great if you could investigate this.

This is a bit beyond me to tell the truth, I can see it happening but to know any more I would have to ask @taniwha

I've been thinking of something, my ship for jool (see my first post in this thread) leaves kerbin's SOI, the bug occurs when my apoapsis is somewhere between Duna and Jool.

So maybe this is not entirely related to kerbin's SOI after all.

If you need any more input please tell me.

@omikronlex same thing here in tracking station.

Edited by Irvin

I've had some success with these 3 features disabled in BIOS:

HB-UW3oVK5UkS50Xk_6jpwxN4GlKU5xQJGYa2GE6

Could you guys confirm if this works for you too or if I was just lucky ?

Beware if you're on a laptop it disables speedstep .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.