The Mighty HMS Hood! Royal Navy Battlecruiser Replica

The Saturnian Naval Dockyards Presents....

THE MIGHTY HOOD!

SizzlingUnsteadyAmericanalligator.gif

The HMS Hood was to be the first in a series of four Admiral Class Battlecruisers designed during WWI, with Germany building large Mackensen-Class battlecruisers. She was laid down the same day as the Battle Of Jutland, and the loss of three British battlecruisers caused the work to be suspended, and was redesigned, with more armor. In 1917, the construction of the three sister ships (Anson, Howe, Rodney) were halted, as the construction of merchant ships would be more important, with the U-Boat blockade. HMS Hood's construction continued. She was commissioned on May 15, 1920.

The Hood was involved in many "showing the flag" missions between 1920 and 1939, including a circumnavigation of the world with the Special Service Squadron in 1923-1924. She was given refits from 1929-1930. While headed to Gibraltar for a Mediterranean cruise in 1935, she was rammed in the port side quarter deck by the battlecruiser Renown, damaging her left outer propeller and leaving a dent. Both captains were court-martialed, as well as the squadron commander. The squadron commander and the Hood's captain were acquitted, but the Renown's captain was relieved. 

The Hood was due for a badly needed refit in 1941, as the ship was outdated and her material condition was badly deteriorated. However, World War II broke out, and this was soon an impossibility.

She was employed with patrolling the vicinity on Iceland and the Faroe Islands to protect convoys and intercept merchant raiders and blockade runners. On September 25, 1939, the Home Fleet was spotted by German aircraft, and the Hood was fit by a 250Kg bomb, and needed a refit. In 1940 the Hood participated in the destruction of the French Fleet to avoid them falling in enemy hands.

When the Bismarck sailed with Prinz Eugen for the Atlantic, the Hood and Prince Of Wales set out to intercept them. On May 24th, between Greenland and Iceland, they met. The Hood engaged the Prinz Eugen, the ship in the front. The German ship returned fire several minutes later, with Prinz Eugen scoring a hit, starting a fire with the ready-use ammunition. The Hood was turning to reveal her rear turrets, when she was hit on the deck by a shell from the Bismarck, at 16.65 Km away. A huge jet of flame shot out, and a devastating magazine explosion followed, destroying the back of the Hood, and the ship sunk in only three minutes, with the bow pointed near vertically. Only three survived.

MODS

For the ship to appear in full glory

BDArmory (Requirement for NAS) C.A.L++ (Community Ammunition Library for BDArmory)(Ammo for NAS guns)   KerbPaint(Hull Paint) NAS - Naval Artillery System (Weapons systems) TweakScale - Rescale Everything!(For parts where the ship needed specific sizes and I wasn't willing to raise part count) WW2 Warships(Hull, much of the superstructure)

Recommended

Vessel mover/Hyperedit to move around, Hanger extender to see the whole ship in the SPH, Scatterer-Nice waves

DOWNLOAD

This ship is part of my Battle of The Denmark Strait pack. 883 parts, over 260 meters long, capable of reaching 20 M/s (5.5 M/s after than the real thing...)

Action Groups

1-Toggles boilers&turbines

2-Ship goes kaboom (A huge one, so anticipate some lag...)

3-Toggle Main Battery

4-Secondary Guns Toggle

5-AA Guns

MAIN BATTERY IN ACTION

GregariousInferiorGrasshopper.gif

SECONDARY GUNS

GentleColorfulCricket.gif

Thanks for reading, if you find any issues, please let me know!

Edited by SaturnianBlue

5 minutes ago, Xannari Ferrows said:

I wonder if it's possible to build a Yamato...

And not kill my computer.

I use a several year old MacBookPro for KSP. It's crashed a couple times, but considering the part count, I think that's fine. :P A Yamato would certainly be something I could build, but It would probably be the highest part thing I ever made. 

Also, I see the reference to the Type 93 in your title. :) 

Edited by SaturnianBlue

Definitely a very nice looking ship, and powerful as well. Too bad she never got to put those monstrous guns to work. At the very least Japan could have "surrendered" and allowed this beautiful ship to survive. Would've been a sight to see.

Nighthunter%2BYamato.png

Although it is likely the navy would have never surrendered until being forced to if Yamato was never sunk or destroyed since she was planned to be beached.

Edited by Xannari Ferrows

1 minute ago, Sampa said:

more likely Xan, if the Yamato had survived teh war, she would have ended up having the same fate as the Nagato...  (reference to the Nuclear tests at Bikini Atoll)

Especially being the IJN's largest battleship. There's probably a sense of "revenge" that went on. Nagato after all was (I believe) where the attack on Pearl Harbor was commanded from.

If Nagato tanked two bombs and merely wiped the sweat off her forehead, how many would it take to sink a Yamato? If anything she'd likely be a war prize given to the US, and with the widespread popularity of her, especially now, perhaps they'd consider giving her back to be a museum. That is a museum I'd go to and stay at all day every day inside the barrel.

vashischnaushischnaushinaugh

Edited by Xannari Ferrows

Nice wok as usual! I have one question though, it may sound stupid, but how did you get KerbPaint to work on the Hood? I've tried to get it working so I can use RealShips properly, but it just doesn't show up anywhere.

About the Yamato, I think it probably would have been scuttled had it survived the war. The cost of converting a ship to a museum is enormous, and the US would rather have spent all that money on mummifying their own Iowa class battleships (all four of which are museums today). Besides, it's unlikely that Japan would have just surrenders without using their most powerful ship in combat.

1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Nice wok as usual! I have one question though, it may sound stupid, but how did you get KerbPaint to work on the Hood? I've tried to get it working so I can use RealShips properly, but it just doesn't show up anywhere.

About the Yamato, I think it probably would have been scuttled had it survived the war. The cost of converting a ship to a museum is enormous, and the US would rather have spent all that money on mummifying their own Iowa class battleships (all four of which are museums today). Besides, it's unlikely that Japan would have just surrenders without using their most powerful ship in combat.

I'm using 1.0.5 for now, but besides Kerbpaint 1.1 is working fine. 

2 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

I'm using 1.0.5 for now, but besides Kerbpaint 1.1 is working fine. 

Huh, I've tried it in both 1.0.5 and 1.1 and when I press P to bring up the paint menu (it still works like that, right?) nothing happens

4 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Huh, I've tried it in both 1.0.5 and 1.1 and when I press P to bring up the paint menu (it still works like that, right?) nothing happens

You might have had a similar issue to me, the Kerbpaint got messed up for some reason. Though the paint menu still worked.

1 hour ago, SaturnianBlue said:

You might have had a similar issue to me, the Kerbpaint got messed up for some reason. Though the paint menu still worked.

Maybe. If I keep having problems I'll maybe take a look at messaging the mod's maintainer.

So, on to HMS Prince of Wales next! Can't wait to see what they mighty KGV class is going to look like!

Back in 0.20 ish, I made a (very) rough stock Yamato. I'd gotten much better at shipbuilding after it, but never got around to remaking it with the new turret tech or the reinforced deck structure. :l

Please excuse my potato pictures. XD

MkII was the version with the primitive superstructure, no AA guns, and limited traverse gun turrets with short gun barrels (which actually had shells).

vnhw4En.jpg

And the MKI which was mean to test buoyancy, but had some interesting deck issues.

T31TLPP.jpg

Maybe I'll take another crack at it. However, my first post exams craft will probably be a submarine.

Edited by andrew123

4 minutes ago, andrew123 said:

Back in 0.20 ish, I made a (very) rough stock Yamato. I'd gotten much better at shipbuilding after it, but never got around to remaking it with the new turret tech or the reinforced deck structure. :l

Please excuse my potato pictures. XD

MkII was the version with the primitive superstructure, no AA guns, and limited traverse gun turrets with short gun barrels (which actually had shells).

vnhw4En.jpg

And the MKI which was mean to test buoyancy, but had some interesting deck issues.

T31TLPP.jpg

Maybe I'll take another crack at it. However, my first post exams craft will probably be a submarine.

Going stock is pretty hard to deal with though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.