So, I got Dwarf Fortress...

mincespy

The color doesn\'t matter, but staircases are the < and > symbols, up/down staircases are X.

Press D to bring up the designations your dwarves can do, like Chopping Trees(t), Digging(d), and making staircases.

Press B to bring up all the constructions you can make, press W while inside the construction menu to bring up all the Workshops you can make. Most of them take up a 3x3 space and require 1 unit of material(It can be anything from wood to stone to metal to soap).

Oh and also, I recommend the 'Lazy Newb Pack', it has some nifty tools to help you, and has some tilesets to make the graphics less like vomit and more like graphics. There are also many Tutorials for Dwarf Fortress, and there is a huge amount of !FUN! to be had watching various Dwarf Fortress videos on YouTube. (Don\'t embark on the purple stuff, you will get attacked by skeleton things, and even a skeletal badger can ruin an emerging fortress.)

I\'ll second the LNP, mostly because it\'s a pain to figure out what things are without a graphics pack, and managing a couple hundred dwarves with the in-game UI is waaaay more difficult than using Dwarf Therapist.

That guide is awesome. I\'d give that a read for sure.

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920022565.do

If you\'re a book person. This is a pretty great read, and the comics are rather amusing.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

Additionally, browse the df wiki. It is your best friend.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0 <--- This right here is the Lazy newb pack. Its just plain great. I\'d recommend giving it a download. It will come with a load of awesome utilities like dwarf therapist that makes your life much easier. Additionally, it will allow you to load up a graphics set. That turns the game from being ascii to actual visual tiles. I prefer the visual tiles, but its a matter of preference really. After a while of playing you can just see the matrix. It ceases to be little squiggles and you instead see a vast field filled with all manner of grass and trees, as coyotes playfully devour your fishing dwarf. Good times.

Man, the new version of df is awesome. I wish I had time to play it... :(

StoneSense

9pUGc.jpg

Graphics tileset (Included in the newb pack)

NGtD7.jpg

oh man i got soo many good memories of this game.

if you think this game is hard, then you should go to this site:

http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/

it\'s the site where i learned this awesome game, and i highly recommend an older version. on the site is a link to a download of an old version, with a starting world, with my favorite tileset (mayday green\'s). if ya wanna play this game, i tell ya: the utter newbie tutorial is the best place to learn it.

you know, when notch started making minecraft, he wanted a mix between dwarf fortress and roller coaster tycoon 2?! :D its one of the most hard and realistic games i know. the details... amazing. the game lets you use your fantasy. it gives like a 500 word description of every dwarf you have: how he looks, what he thinks, what he likes and dislikes, where he is good in and isn\'t, if he is calm or agressive like everything and everything.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.