Who is Supreme Leader Snoke?

ProtoJeb21

With Star Wars now following the examples of suspense from Marvel movies and Gravity Falls, we have tons of room for speculation! Especially for the Gravity Falls fans who miss all the theorizing of/from the show (me). The primary topic of speculation among Star Wars fans is Jar Jar--- I MEAN Supreme Leader Snoke. Post your theories below. HOWEVER, please refrain from debunking theories with some of those leaked spoilers I keep hearing about. Otherwise, I will request this thread locked. Anyways, you can also support or debunk theories (WITHOUT SPOILERS!) that have been presented on YouTube or other social media sites. Comment on other theories too, and share your own.

36 minutes ago, max_creative said:

Emperor palpeteen's teacher? Sorry about the spelling. I mean, they both look like old grandpa's!

Palpatine's master, Darth Plagueis, was killed by Palpatine himself, so not very likely.

I'd bet on some cheap retcon, like he was Palpatine right arm or something like that. This, or a completely new guy.

Edited by Gaarst

3 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

Palpatine's master, Darth Plagueis, was killed by Palpatine himself, so not very likely.

Yes, but he was also known to be able to cheat death. It would certainly explain his torn-up face. He's a good fit, but I doubt it's that simple.

Just now, kmMango said:

Yes, but he was also known to be able to cheat death. It would certainly explain his torn-up face. He's a good fit, but I doubt it's that simple.

If he was this powerful, I doubt he would have let Palaptine do his business after he betrayed him. And I doubt even more he would have established the First Order as a "tribute" to Palpatine's Empire.

Why risk exposing yourself if you can let someone else do it for you? 

He lets Palpatine think he's dead, Palpatine creates an empire, Palpatine gets killed, and now he can jump in and pick up the pieces, with an apprentice far more powerful than Palpatine.

Bam. Your enemy does most of the work for you.

Edited by kmMango

It's interesting speculation. They sort of painted themselves into a corner at the end of VI. The whole ideology of the Sith is that there are always only two: the Master and the Apprentice. Well, at the end of VI, the Master (Emperor Palpatine), and the Apprentice (Darth Vader) both died. According to their own logic, there are now no more Sith. So who the hell is this guy Snoke? 

• Ex-Jedi? Other Jedi besides Obi-Wan and Yoda may have survived. There were stories in the Extended Universe about them, and while the Extended Universe is officially depreciated, they are obviously heavily drawing on it for inspiration. Maybe a surviving Jedi turned to the Dark Side?
  • Random Force-sensitive alien? Quite a few of those showed up in The Clone Wars, and that series is still considered canon. Maybe one of them decided to get ahead in life?
  • Palpatine's Other-other-apprentice? Maybe Palpatine decided to break the rules and have another apprentice on the side? He certainly went through enough of them, couldn't hurt to have a spare. 
  • Darth Plageuis? This theory has a lot of traction on the net. But gosh, Palpatine seemed really certain he was D-E-D, dead. And he didn't seem like the sort of guy to leave that sort of thing ambiguously unresolved, if you get my drift. 

Oh, we're talking about Palpatine 2.0? He's gonna be just like Palpatine, except sliiiightly different because they can't just copy the old movies word for word. They have to make it at least look like it's got a different plot.

*actually, I think they were just being cautious at first and now that they know they have fans they'll start getting more creative* Still, it's going to be pretty similar.

On 25.4.2016 at 1:21 AM, TheSaint said:

It's interesting speculation. They sort of painted themselves into a corner at the end of VI. The whole ideology of the Sith is that there are always only two: the Master and the Apprentice. Well, at the end of VI, the Master (Emperor Palpatine), and the Apprentice (Darth Vader) both died. According to their own logic, there are now no more Sith. So who the hell is this guy Snoke? 

In the old canon, the "rules of the sith" changed a few times. Plus, i cannot remember the sith beeing mentioned in the force awakens. All we know is that there are 2 evil people who can use the force. Could be sith, wannabe siths or dark jedi. We know they're somewhat organized within the "Knights of Ren"

• Ex-Jedi? Other Jedi besides Obi-Wan and Yoda may have survived. There were stories in the Extended Universe about them, and while the Extended Universe is officially depreciated, they are obviously heavily drawing on it for inspiration. Maybe a surviving Jedi turned to the Dark Side?

Possible, but who? Snoke is definetely somwhere at the top of the first order, yet we don't know how the first order and the knights of ren are exactly related. He most likely have a background from the empire or the old republic (may it be force-related, military or diplomatic), otherwise i doubt he could be in a higher position. Beeing in a force-fraction before might have given him the skills to teach himself further knowledge.

• Random Force-sensitive alien? Quite a few of those showed up in The Clone Wars, and that series is still considered canon. Maybe one of them decided to get ahead in life?

He must be very, very strong in the force to get that "important" without a teacher, i cannot remember any characters who got strong in the force without beeing trained with supervision. Not even in clone wars. I doubt the theory of a self didact force sensitive

• Palpatine's Other-other-apprentice? Maybe Palpatine decided to break the rules and have another apprentice on the side? He certainly went through enough of them, couldn't hurt to have a spare. 

Doubt that...Of course my thinking is influenced by the old canon, but 2 apprentices at the same time does not fit palpatine. He saw himself as the last, immortal sith, no need for a successor. Maul, Dooku and Vader all had their weaknesses which rendered them controllable for him and he kept them as useful tools, which could easily be replaced. Nice to see in the official canon with dooku and vader, both of them were disposed as soon as a stronger apprentice was in sight (anakin or luke).

• Darth Plageuis? This theory has a lot of traction on the net. But gosh, Palpatine seemed really certain he was D-E-D, dead. And he didn't seem like the sort of guy to leave that sort of thing ambiguously unresolved, if you get my drift. 

Qui Gon was also thought to be dead for 2 movies. As far as i know, there's nothing that actually conflicts this theory. Didn't Palpatine thought the experiments where unsuccessful? Maybe Plagueis did not told him everything. He's not mentioned very often in the canon now, i'd like that theory more than Palpatine went full Sauron and came back as a ghost.

1 hour ago, Octa said:

In the old canon, the "rules of the sith" changed a few times. Plus, i cannot remember the sith beeing mentioned in the force awakens. All we know is that there are 2 evil people who can use the force. Could be sith, wannabe siths or dark jedi. We know they're somewhat organized within the "Knights of Ren"

The fact that the rules of the Sith changed in the canon before kinda supports the idea that Palpatine may have had multiple apprentices. He may have thought himself so high-and-mighty that he could break whatever rules he wanted to. 

1 hour ago, Octa said:

Possible, but who? Snoke is definetely somwhere at the top of the first order, yet we don't know how the first order and the knights of ren are exactly related. He most likely have a background from the empire or the old republic (may it be force-related, military or diplomatic), otherwise i doubt he could be in a higher position. Beeing in a force-fraction before might have given him the skills to teach himself further knowledge.

Don't know. At this point they could just make someone up whole-cloth. That's one advantage of starting over from scratch. It would also explain how he is able to train Kylo Ren, which other possibilities are not able to explain. 

1 hour ago, Octa said:

He must be very, very strong in the force to get that "important" without a teacher, i cannot remember any characters who got strong in the force without beeing trained with supervision. Not even in clone wars. I doubt the theory of a self didact force sensitive

It's a long-shot, sure, but remember that they are making things up as they go along now. The one thing that I like about this theory is that it makes Snoke a total black swan, like the Mule in Azimov's Foundation series. But it wouldn't explain how he is able to train Ren. 

1 hour ago, Octa said:

Doubt that...Of course my thinking is influenced by the old canon, but 2 apprentices at the same time does not fit palpatine. He saw himself as the last, immortal sith, no need for a successor. Maul, Dooku and Vader all had their weaknesses which rendered them controllable for him and he kept them as useful tools, which could easily be replaced. Nice to see in the official canon with dooku and vader, both of them were disposed as soon as a stronger apprentice was in sight (anakin or luke).

Well, see your own arguments above. If Palpatine really did think that he was immortal, invincible, and all-seeing, that sort of arrogance might just lead him to break all sorts of rules and do all sorts of crazy stuff. "Hey, I'm so cool I don't need no stinkin' 'Rule of Two', I can keep as many apprentices as I want under my thumb." I kinda like this theory, actually, I think it fits him. 

1 hour ago, Octa said:

Qui Gon was also thought to be dead for 2 movies. As far as i know, there's nothing that actually conflicts this theory. Didn't Palpatine thought the experiments where unsuccessful? Maybe Plagueis did not told him everything. He's not mentioned very often in the canon now, i'd like that theory more than Palpatine went full Sauron and came back as a ghost.

Hmmm, Ghost Palpatine would sort of fit the canon. But there's a few problems with it. Why doesn't Snoke look anything like Palpatine? Ghost disguises? If Ghost Palpatine could train Kylo Ren, why didn't Ghost Obi-Wan train Luke? And, why would he call himself Snoke and not Palpatine? No, doesn't hold water. 

The only problem I have with the Darth Plagueis theory is this: So Apprentice Palpatine kills you. And he's not the sort of guy to leave this sort of thing to chance. (Especially if he knows you're a guy who has been fiddling around with resurrection spells.) He kills you. Then he kills you again. Then he cuts you up into little bits. Then he sews all the little bits back together just so he can have the pleasure of cutting them back up again. Then he burns you into ash. Then he jumps up and down on the ashes for a while. Then he feeds the ashes to his pet gundark. Then he takes the gundark poop and burns it. You get the picture. He's not going to just poison you then turn around and walk away like some two-bit B-movie villain. So how does Ghost Darth Plageuis bootstrap himself back from that? And, again, if he does manage to do so, why the name change? 

Mara Jade, obviously. 

Kidding aside, I like the idea of this not being a sith, just someone who got their hands on some sith texts and is teaching himself. Or even better, he has no force abilities and is just using Kylo and the other knights of Ren. I think at this point both the Jedi and the Sith are done, Luke probably saw the problems with trying to start from scratch so it will be up to Rey to start a new order that is more about using the force for good without all the bs.

Who is he? Donald Trump. Errm, I mean Darth Plagueis. Since the EU is no longer canon, all we know about him is that he had the power to cheat death, and that Sidious thought he killed him. We don't know the true extent of his power. He could have saved his consiousness in the force or something like that, and then wait for the inevitable fall of the Empire, and at that point he jumped at the chance to take control (maybe by taking control of someone else's body). Another option could be a secret apprentice of Sidious, as already mentioned, or it could be Sidious himself, who performed an 'essence transfer' right before death. I hope it is one of these, so that technically the lineage of true Sith Lords isn't broken when Sidious dies...

How about Anakins light and dark side got split into Anakin (Force Ghost at the end of EPVI) and Force-Ghost-Darth Vader/Snoke? Or the Inquisitor from SW Rebels? These 2 might explain the scarring in his face.

I like. Old canon is scrubbed, everything is possible and there are little to no hints. He could be anybody. :confused:

The fact of the matter is this...the writer's themselves might not know who snoke is. Until the movie that explains who he is is put into movie theaters for people to watch, up until that moment, they could change who he is. So if there are multiple theories, then the writers have options, and the final decision on who he is isn't concrete until the movie comes out. Even if they have it all planned out right now, it could still change. So why speculate?

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.