If a Moon or planet had life, what should we do?

Spaceception

Say, Venus, or Mars, or Europa, or Enceladus, or Titan (Those are the 5 most popular targets for finding life on Moons and Planets) or all 5 had life, what should we do? Should we study it or leave it alone, now, the outer space treaty says that you would not be permitted to study it, but finding life would likely push NASA to push the UN to make a compromise, How would society react? And, could we safely say, that life should be present everywhere in the universe? And, as for Mars, would we still try to colonize it?

I'd like to see your thoughts :)

But please, follow the guidelines, a discussion like this could easily become locked.

Edited by Spaceception

Study it, the outer space treaty doesn't prohibit that.

http://www.unoosa.org/oosa/SpaceLaw/outerspt.html

States Parties to the Treaty shall pursue studies of outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, and conduct exploration of them so as to avoid their harmful contamination

It just says that you have to be careful not to contaminate them...

If a State Party to the Treaty has reason to believe that an activity or experiment planned by it or its nationals in outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, would cause potentially harmful interference with activities of other States Parties in the peaceful exploration and use of outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, it shall undertake appropriate international consultations before proceeding with any such activity or experiment. A State Party to the Treaty which has reason to believe that an activity or experiment planned by another State Party in outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, would cause potentially harmful interference with activities in the peaceful exploration and use of outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, may request consultation concerning the activity or experiment.

At most a consultation is required.

Just now, RainDreamer said:

Well, I am sure observations from orbit and the likes would still be permissible. It is only when you land on the surface and possibly contaminate life there with earth 's life that it gets problematic.

But observations don't tell you much, you have to study it up close.

We would definitely sudy it, but would have to be very careful to sterilize everything we launch to that place. And no, we can't assume a trip through space is good enough. Life is notoriously resilient. I wonder what the rules on bringing it here would be. Maybe not to the surface, but maybe an LEO research station, with special containment units and enough fuel to launch into the sun if need be. Not that anything we find is actually likely to be harmful to us.

53 minutes ago, todofwar said:

We would definitely sudy it, but would have to be very careful to sterilize everything we launch to that place. 

Even then sometimes, its not enough...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tersicoccus_phoenicis

1 hour ago, todofwar said:

Maybe not to the surface, but maybe an LEO research station, with special containment units and enough fuel to launch into the sun if need be. Not that anything we find is actually likely to be harmful to us.

"In case of station re-entry, activate Wildfire protocol immediately"

Nuke it from orbit, it is the only way to be sure.

Ok joking aside.  Step 1 would be not to contaminate the site with anything.  We should try to figure out as much about the life there as possible from orbit first.  Once we can be reasonably certain we aren't going to destroy it accidentally, then and only then should we try to collect samples.

I am reasonably sure that this is overkill.  If a alien bacterium landed on earth, the first and mostly likely thing to happen is that it will get eaten by the locals.  Sci-FI movie plots aside the local life has evolved here and is optimized for here.  It is unlikely that life from a completely different environment will be able to last for very long.  Having said that, we really need to be sure that is the case before contaminating the site.

Edited by Leszek

In any case this life may would ought to be studied, an least to overtake it before it can study us.
This would take decades of DNA engineering progress and of comparative research of two evolutionary different DNAs.

After this studies Terrans get an ability to design and create any lifeform at their wish.

After this any primitive lifeform from another planet will be just another one more Lego set, unless it can speak, write or play KSP.
This will eliminate any ethical problem.

Study them with proper protection and sterilization. Yes, we can't precisely sterilize anything, but IMHO the vacuum of space is the best way to have it. Maybe make a mission with spacecraft that doubles as an orbiter and a lander, or rover.

What I always think, is that we might actually act out what some people think aliens would do to us in the past: kidnapping specimens and then intrusively and violently experiment on them. At least from their perspective.

Edited by RainDreamer

Not contaminate the site? 

Thats like saying lets not deforest the amazon, or throw our bits and pieces in the ocean. 

The bigger question is what will happen if it contaminates us. 

Edited by PB666
ipad sucks

4 hours ago, Leszek said:

Step 1 would be not to contaminate the site with anything.  We should try to figure out as much about the life there as possible from orbit first.  Once we can be reasonably certain we aren't going to destroy it accidentally, then and only then should we try to collect samples.

^^^This^^^

Then I suggest leaving it alone, prime directive, star trek style...

7 hours ago, ChrisSpace said:

Find out what it tastes like.

Probably like chicken:rolleyes:

Check genetic make up. If it's like our DNA, maybe even suggesting a common ancestor, then be very cautious to prevent interaction. If it's genetics is *really* alien, we're probably incompatible in any way. So we can study all we want

Edited by 1of6Billion

21 minutes ago, 1of6Billion said:

Check genetic make up. If it's like our DNA, maybe even suggesting a common ancestor, then be very cautious to prevent interaction.

Thats if it even has genes. You never know, life is incredibly tricky...

22 minutes ago, 1of6Billion said:

If it's genetics is *really* alien, we're probably incompatible in any way. So we can study all we want

Probably, probably not...you can tell why I'm worried...:wink:. I think we can just all agree to be careful...

13 minutes ago, Atlas2342 said:

Thats if it even has genes. You never know, life is incredibly tricky...

Probably, probably not...you can tell why I'm worried...:wink:. I think we can just all agree to be careful...

We know about something like prions. Indeed.

BTW: Is this thread about alien micro organisms, Tribbles or sentient beings? All will call for a different approach.

Edited by 1of6Billion

30 minutes ago, jwenting said:

kill it so it can't kill us. Survival is key, thinking that everything except humans is just cute furry animals that can't do harm to us or would be fully justified to if it did do harm is beyond silly, it's suicidal.

Umm.....I don't......ok...

I think concern for infection depends on where we find it. For example, any life that formed on titan would find our environment incredibly hostile, so no need to worry. Something that formed on Europa might be a bit more dangerous, but probably not a fan of oxygen (though plenty of anaerobes live on earth).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.