Pending: v1.1 compliant Arkingthaad tower lander.

Whackjob

13 minutes ago, Whackjob said:

Ok, I've got the VAB extender going, because it'll be very necessary.  For obvious reasons.  First thing I note, I hit the roof of it already:It blew up on launch, not a surprise, given it's one test column with no supports.

Seems to be running fairly smooth.  Only ~300 parts, that'll escalate very quickly.

Can I get someone to figure out how many of those largest cans I need tall to be one kilometer?  I'm asking because reasons.

Well, I don't know off the top of my head, but it seems like you could simply open up a single can in the editor and take a gander at the engineer's report (in the bottom right-hand side of your screen).

7 minutes ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

hum, you could eventually attempt to land on the mün with a spaceship having a bigger mass than the mün *shrug* & why not after all xDr

challenge accepted Whackjob ? ; ) ; ) ; )

That's... actually semi-coherent. And not a bad idea, either. Seems like it might be right up his alley.

Bigger than the Mun, masswise?  No can do.  The Mun is denser than any part, so I'd have to be physically larger than the Mun.  There's still a 2.2km physics limit, or at least that's the best to my knowledge.  I'll start with a 1km tower, first.

Here's a peek at the engine clusters I'll be using, unless I have to go bigger at some point:

A57C05191A15C12F16CC87B94770F116F25B42FA

LFB KR-1x2 engines, thirty six per cluster at 72,000 thrust per cluster, which at six clusters gives me 432,000 thrust.  Pretty good for the inner cluster cores.  There will be another six, making me draw near a million thrust.

Launch test was good:

8C9C2D5D99035CDB0CD20D68AD2CEFCFFADE3DEF

5 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

What's an Arkingthaad Tower Lander?

Here's an earlier one, that landed successfully on both the Mun and Duna:

A3odnAq.png

This one, should I succeed, will be significantly larger.

22 minutes ago, Whackjob said:

Bigger than the Mun, masswise?  No can do.  The Mun is denser than any part, so I'd have to be physically larger than the Mun…

Part. Clipping.

But that's probably a "hell no, not with my Krakenbait" kind of thing.

And here's 864,000 thrust.  I might do one more column set for stability purposes.

F8E65899BC72823BF890D0AE1F8FB5DFFDB0361E

12 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Unfortunately performance for single craft is not quite what it was in 0.90 but it's close. Performance fr multiple craft is now far better than it has ever been. 

Perhaps it's time to change tack old boy? 

Eh... quality over quantity.  A whole fleet of smaller things don't interest me much.

8 hours ago, Whackjob said:

I always felt bad about that challenge.  Several teams surrendered because it was too much with not enough time.  It wasn't fair to them.

Personally, I think the fact that we'd just come out of another time intense challenge contributed a lot to those teams decision to leave. It wasn't just your one. The paceing of the whole Kerbin Cup was pretty gruelling, and then there were bugs beyond our control... it was certainly one of the more stressful things I've been involved with with KSP. 

It's nice to look back on now though, everyone managed to churn out some pretty impressive creations, in solving the problems. 

1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

What's an Arkingthaad Tower Lander?

It's Whackjob most know contraption.

Let me explain: there are some people who like to build small, then there are others who likes big (more than 1k parts) crafts, an then there's Whackjob

Btw, welcome back Whackjob, is nice to see you back into the VAB again

Edited by federicoaa

14 hours ago, Whackjob said:

So my question to you all, is, what should I do with it?  What should I put on it?  Is there any thing anyone wants to see, specifically?

Since you ask - I've been thinking of bridging the Dres canyon.  Sounds like the sort of thing you'd enjoy.

Welcome back Whack, you've been missed.  What is the dream job?

19 hours ago, Whackjob said:

So my question to you all, is, what should I do with it?  What should I put on it?  Is there any thing anyone wants to see, specifically?  

Just break the game.  If your first crash doesn't do it, add more stuff :)

20 hours ago, Whackjob said:

Maybe I can finally breach the 100k part barrier.  Who knows.

It was a normal, sunny day on Kerbin. Birds were chirping, waves lapped lazily at the shore, children played in the park. And yet Gene Kerman, flight director, was trapped inside. He had thought it odd that every coffee pot in mission control was empty, even the one he hid under his desk, and was about to send out an angry email. "Make more if you take the last cup." Except he didn't need to. A glint caught his eye, a glance at the launchpad, and he knew.

It was the largest craft he'd ever seen, several kilometers tall at least. How had he missed them building this behemoth in the VAB? How had it fit through the door? He was about to phone up Wernher to ask when the ground shuddered, the windows rattled, and the roof caved in. "Physics" had loaded. Every building at the space center collapsed into a burning heap of rubble, even the runway on which nothing rested. Yes, Gene knew why the coffee was gone. He knew all too well.

The whack was back. 

Sorry for lack of updates.  I am making progress slowly.  Time available is a factor.  Aside from the veritable feast on my schedule table, I've managed to add house hunting into the mix.  The 'Whack may soon become a home owner!  Part owner.  The lady will be the other owner. :)

• 2 months later...

A thousand apologies to all who are interested.  The project is delayed for some time.

Reason being, I am now a homeowner.  With my girlfriend.  Fixing, spackling, base coating, painting.  Moving at some point.

Holy heck.  I now have a home.  And all the responsibility that comes with it.

And she will be there.  Technically, it's her mortgage (she got a better rate than even the V.A.) with both of our names on it.

My future is officially 1,000% cooler.

1 hour ago, Whackjob said:

A thousand apologies to all who are interested.  The project is delayed for some time.

Reason being, I am now a homeowner.  With my girlfriend.  Fixing, spackling, base coating, painting.  Moving at some point.

Glad to see you back, WJ!  Congrats on the real life stuff, even if it gets in the way of KSP :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.