Pending: v1.1 compliant Arkingthaad tower lander.

Whackjob

Allrighty.  It's been a while, now, hasn't it?

I'm thinking of doing a new project.  I hear 1.1 has dropped, and that there's optimizations in there that'll let me up my part count some.  Maybe I can finally breach the 100k part barrier.  Who knows.  

I'm probably going to put together a new Arkingthaad tower lander.  The biggest one yet.

So my question to you all, is, what should I do with it?  What should I put on it?  Is there any thing anyone wants to see, specifically?  

I've been out of the loop for quite a while, now, so some blundering is to be expected.

Give me your thoughts, please!

What I mean, is, craft could never be more than 2.2km long, because the physics "bubble" that is calculated has a radius of 2.2km.  Build longer than that, and the Kraken strikes everything everywhere at once.

Ask me how I know.  Haha!

I was just wondering if that had changed in any way with 1.1.

I'll probably shoot for a one kilometer tall tower lander.  Not sure how I can measure the height reliably though.

#EDIT:  Staying in the atmosphere is a definite no-go.  Gotta take it out into the black.

Edited by Whackjob

Make sure you save after every part you add.  While performance has increased, stability in the editors took a turn for the worse.  Not everybody experiences the problem, but many crash frequently.  Hopefully that will be a thing of the past in the next few days though, once Squad gets back after the weekend.

Edited by Alshain

2 minutes ago, Whackjob said:

I'll probably shoot for a one kilometer tall tower lander.  Not sure how I can measure the height reliably though.

In that case there's a good couple of challenges that you could enter if you were so inclined.  The Munar Crusade is practically made for you challenge wise.

On a personal note I'd like to see you land a class E on top of your Burj Whackjob, but I realise that's quite a stretch goal.

SM

29 minutes ago, jpinard said:

Do you have videos of your attempts?  And of course you must record your current work!

I can do pictures.  My motherboard has an odd fault plaguing me, where it's not recognizing the external hard drive dock and a handful of other USB devices.  It'll have to be screenshots.

I do have a youtube channel with some random things on it, including flying the Arkingthaads.  It's under name "CrazyPilotEarl", an exceptionally old handle I used back in the days of the original Tribes game.

17 minutes ago, Tw1 said:

You could try another "some assembly required" version.

http://imgur.com/a/2wfhC Ah, memories....

I always felt bad about that challenge.  Several teams surrendered because it was too much with not enough time.  It wasn't fair to them.

12 minutes ago, r4pt0r said:

I enjoy scary, survival horror type games.

Whackjobs monstrosities are still the most terrifying thing I can imagine.

Same here!  Ark Survival, 7 Days to Die, and a new one called Factorio.  I have all three.

7 hours ago, Alshain said:

Make sure you save after every part you add.  While performance has increased, stability in the editors took a turn for the worse.  Not everybody experiences the problem, but many crash frequently.  Hopefully that will be a thing of the past in the next few days though, once Squad gets back after the weekend.

I had a little bit of bugginess when 1.1 first ran. Nothing serious and it didn't actually crash - just some items not working. An un-install, delete folder and reinstall got it all going again.

9 hours ago, Whackjob said:

I hear 1.1 has dropped, and that there's optimizations in there that'll let me up my part count some.

Spoken by Whackjob, this has got to be the best sentence that could possibly be said on these fine pages in response to the 1.1 release.

Really looking forward to see any results of this line of research.

Also: Whackjob - thanks for your signature text. While you certainly don't owe us any explanations or apologies, I will admit that I would have been sad about you being "out of the loop" if I had not seen that there is a really good, positive reason for it. Welcome "back in the loop"!

Ok, I've got the VAB extender going, because it'll be very necessary.  For obvious reasons.  First thing I note, I hit the roof of it already:

EB8E4AD0DE40870CEF3D317E47C0A32F32B09D13

It blew up on launch, not a surprise, given it's one test column with no supports.

A6825BCDB7B8B3F2B83AB7BAD650A5F634A2447C

Seems to be running fairly smooth.  Only ~300 parts, that'll escalate very quickly.

Can I get someone to figure out how many of those largest cans I need tall to be one kilometer?  I'm asking because reasons.

Edited by Whackjob

10 hours ago, Whackjob said:

Give me your thoughts, please!

hum, you could eventually attempt to land on the mün with a spaceship having a bigger mass than the mün *shrug* & why not after all xDr

challenge accepted Whackjob ? ; ) ; ) ; )

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.