Shuttle Challenge v3 - The 1.1.x STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly][11.10.2016 - CLOSED FOR REFURBISHMENT]

16 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Hi there!  

So basically you are permitted to have as many engines in as many places as you like on the External Tank as well as boosters mounted radially, but the shuttle must only have it's own engines which are either used or not during ascent.  Basically go for gold apart from with the shuttle, where the basic rule is: whatever the shuttle starts with the shuttle must end the mission with so no decoupling bit's off it.

Thinking further into your question and creating a Hybrid STS/Buran and whether that's allowed: It must be lifted into space by a Carrier Vehicle which either supplies fuel during to main engine(s) mounted on the Orbiter or lifts the Orbiter into space with its own engine(s) doesn't make for heaps of clarity, but precedent has been set with a number of craft that have used engines both on the shuttle and the ET during launch.  Most notably Algeo, and ZooNamedGames, so I think I'll allow it in the interests of creating diversity in the shuttle arena.

If in doubt pics and I'll rule on it for you. :)  Hope that helps!

EDIT:  With the above in mind I've made a minor edit to the shuttle definition to encourage diversity in design...

SM

My shuttle qualifies then,all of the KS-25 Engines on the Shuttle and the ET fire all the way to MECO-With boosters Included:cool:

MECO is at 100-150Km to -20 Km can i get more points for keeping the ET on Suborbital. might try a SpaceX Style Landing with the ET in the future.Hmm

Also i have done a 42Ton payload test 600 by 600Km and landed saftely,i have 2 versions the Test was with my Extended range Version. 350m/s DV with 42 tons-700 without Payload

Pics coming soon

Edited by Ourworldalpha1

I have a question about THE Can you land me Challenge. Can i have another ship get the asteriod and bring it too the Shuttle in LKO, Will it count if the ship the brings the Asteriod to the shuttle is Launched by the shuttle on another flight.

Like some clarification on that please=:)

Edited by Ourworldalpha1

Just so you know @Speeding Mullet, SSM-30+ are all dedicated to finishing all of these missions :wink::) , and I mean ALL of them on hard mode. So this'll be fun! Granted I have to get to SSM-20 first :P , so it'll be a while but I plan on kickstarting it back into action sometime soon and burning through these next series of missions lightning fast.

On 5/23/2016 at 0:56 PM, funk said:

The HST mission shows why prelaunch training for astronauts is so important... Where is up? Where down? Where is my target? And first and foremost where is the shuttle?

It took me some time to get used to the jetpack behaviour, but with fine controls it's really fun, and like the HST itself is giving us wonderful pictures, the mission is kinda eye-catching, too.

Spoiler alert: Funkyndustries' engineers remembered some blueprints and prototypes of 1.04. They started to improve the design of an alternative Space Transport System...

Gottdam, that's a nice assembly you did there.

On 6/4/2016 at 11:59 PM, michal.don said:

Hi again,

this is Kolumbia's last mission so far.

I had a lot of free time today, so I was able to fly the Duna mission. I used the bigger tank and SRBs to be sure I had enough of delta-v for the whole mission, but it wasn't necessary, and even caused me some problems, when I tried to aerocapture at Kerbin on the way back, because the shuttle was too heavy. After a few tries I found out I had to burn several tons of fuel to be able to aerocapture. I hope this isn't an issue big enough to deny me the Commander level badge :) Other than the reentry part, the mission went really smooth, and considering that I had to flush some 1200 m/s of delta-v down the drain, I could have probably visited Mun or Minmus on my way.

*Gallery Snip*

As always, I hope everything is documented properly, and not trying to pressure you, I'm really looking forward for more :)

Michal.don

Verrrry nice once again @michal.don you've smashed it and are the first to complete STS-9 (Can you visit me) with the rank of Commander level 7.  Here is your badge, the only one to wear it is you so far so well done again:   Q4pOeUT.jpg

No issues with having to burn fuel in order to aerocapture successfully by the way.  As long as your trajectory transitioned from interplanetary to orbital actually under aerocapture rather than a burn then you are all good!  I've put that bit in bold as people reading through might ask the same question and this is good clarity.  You can burn as much as you like to reduce your aerocapture intensity, as long as said trajectory change is actually under aerocapture conditions.

I will get on with planning another mission FYI so look out for STS-10.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to go down the route of another Duna mission.  It would be good to build something up in the mission profiles rather than jumping about for consistency!  Hope that's ok with everyone going back to Duna a few times!

On 6/5/2016 at 1:17 AM, NotAnAimbot said:

I have a question for the 42t fuel tank challenge:

My shuttle can carry it into orbit with less than 100m of difference, but the difference gets greater when I release the tank, since my RCS makes it wobble a bit and so changes the orbit. Does that count as a win or a fail?

If you turn off your RCS and then release the fuel pod you should prevent wobble being translated through.  You should be able to reduce shuttle induced jiggle also by going to soft RCS by pressing caps lock.  If you've already boosted the thing up there and don't want to run the whole mission again, as long as you have good proof of shuttle reaching desired orbit parameters then I'm comfortable with micro adjustments to the fuel pods orbit using the fuelpods own RCS system :)

On 6/5/2016 at 3:18 AM, luizopiloto said:

I updated my fashion shuttle... It needs a bit of skill to land.... but works... :P

That is seriously a thing of beauty.  I'm going to award you the Skunkworks badge for producing an especially outstanding shuttle design.  Really the detail on that thing is second to none and it's also a well proved shuttle so keep going for more badges!   km1jmmp.jpg

On 6/5/2016 at 3:45 AM, awfulhumanbeing said:

So, my STS-2 is goiing to be delayed, i have a lot of work. Right now i'm trying to pull off a cray-cray interplanetary thingy. Here's an early shot:

View post on imgur.com
Would love to get help!
Also, gonna be playing arond in RO, and in particular - try to build an RO shuttle.

Take your time, no pressure to complete the individual challenges, and this challenge thread isn't going to go anywhere anytime soon.  I think it's part of the woodwork now!

So this cray-cray interplanetary thing is for this challenge thread right?  If not I'd love to help still, just not in this thread if not to avoid unwanted clutter.  If so then ask away what help you need!

Definitely would be interested in seeing a thread linked here to your progress in making an RO shuttle!

On 6/5/2016 at 7:39 AM, Alchemist said:

Lost one part when returning home (why the heck did I put it there without looking at thermal resistance in the first place?

What part did you lose?

On 6/5/2016 at 9:44 AM, Ourworldalpha1 said:

can i get more points for keeping the ET on Suborbital.

Alas no, but kudos will flow liberally, especially if you Space-X the landing :)

On 6/5/2016 at 10:09 AM, Ourworldalpha1 said:

I have a question about THE Can you land me Challenge. Can i have another ship get the asteriod and bring it too the Shuttle in LKO, Will it count if the ship the brings the Asteriod to the shuttle is Launched by the shuttle on another flight.

Like some clarification on that please=:)

The Shuttle needs to be capable of going to the asteroid, and returning it to land as a single mission, but what you do to get a suitable potato in a position for your one shuttle mission to retrieve is of less concern to me.  @Alchemist send his STS 5-8 space station to chase potatoes from memory.  Basically I only need to see a mission that goes to orbit (or beyond) to grab a 'roid, and land it.  Whether you go interplanetary in one hit or perform 5 pre launches to drag a class E to LKO I'm not fussed :)  Please go for a class E!!

On 6/5/2016 at 0:14 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

Just so you know @Speeding Mullet, SSM-30+ are all dedicated to finishing all of these missions :wink::) , and I mean ALL of them on hard mode. So this'll be fun! Granted I have to get to SSM-20 first :P , so it'll be a while but I plan on kickstarting it back into action sometime soon and burning through these next series of missions lightning fast.

Excellent, please make mission reports as before on this thread and I will award as required.  Good luck with the missions.  Sounds like there will be more to do by the time you get to them :)

Sorry for the slow responses everyone - I've been ill.

SM

Yep, @Speeding Mullet, this is supposed to be a shuttle, even though it isn't for now. I have huge problems with the orbiter, specifically - the wings and engines. For the engines - four Mainsails, clipped so they form something like a rose. These are for OMS, and they are not angled, so I will have to use the Energia clone with 20 Vector engines, and the game will most likely crash. The wings are the biggest problem - Big-S ones are just not enough to glide safely, I don't want to create wing monstrosities like my SSTOs and I am not particularly good at segmented wings, so the entry will be modded. I'm planning to try Procedural Wings. Any good mod for huge boosters?

My RAM failed randomly and is now being fixed and I'm stuck with 4 Gb, so don't suggest really tough mods. With this problem, RO doesn't work, so my RO shuttle will wait too. I'm probably going to use Shuttle Lifting Body and Real Scale Boosters. The external tank is going to be provided by Space Shuttle Engines, if it exists in 1.1. If not, Procedural Parts. 

Right now the next-gen orbiter Olympus is being prepared for its first flight. The test have proven that it's awesome. Gonna give ya some links on it so anyone can grab it. It's using Shuttle Lifting Body and Tantares mods.

I'm waiting furiously for KSO on 1.1 if this will ever happen.

Good health for ya!

Edited by awfulhumanbeing

57 minutes ago, Speeding Mullet said:

What part did you lose?

c77d6a422456.png

That control surface under the engines didn't survive aerocapture at Kerbin. However I wonder more of how it did survive everything else before, given it's an aircraft-grade part.

57 minutes ago, Speeding Mullet said:

The Shuttle needs to be capable of going to the asteroid, and returning it to land as a single mission, but what you do to get a suitable potato in a position for your one shuttle mission to retrieve is of less concern to me.  @Alchemist send his STS 5-8 space station to chase potatoes from memory.  Basically I only need to see a mission that goes to orbit (or beyond) to grab a 'roid, and land it.  Whether you go interplanetary in one hit or perform 5 pre launches to drag a class E to LKO I'm not fussed :)

I actually wanted to use it to find something that fits in the payload bay, but they all turned out way too big (I'm pretty sure I've seen a screenshot of a rock less than 3 m in diameter somewhere on the forum - yet I couldn't get anything less than twice the required size). In the end I just launched HRO-M and intercepted a rock I haven't approached before

As for the interplanetary ship, I returned it to Kerbin orbit, gave it a couple of landers and sent it where it originally was designed to go (which went parallel to Buran's Duna mission).

06834d2647c6.png

I maded a thing

>Craft Thread Link<                                                                               (if a more accurate album is required i'd be happy to oblige)

Edited by Bloojay

On 6. 6. 2016 at 9:59 AM, Speeding Mullet said:

I will get on with planning another mission FYI so look out for STS-10.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to go down the route of another Duna mission.  It would be good to build something up in the mission profiles rather than jumping about for consistency!  Hope that's ok with everyone going back to Duna a few times!

Great, I enjoyed the Duna trip (although it felt a bit weird to see a Shuttle fly above another planet, considering what it was originally designed for :) ) and I plan on expanding my infrastructure above/on the surface anyway. Maybe a satelite or two to Ike? Or a lander that fits in a MK3 bay? Or, why not both? :) I'll be looking forward to the next one, but I have a feeling you'll be quite busy in the time coming, because the challenge is becoming quite popular, and lots of new builders appeared here recently.

Thanks for the badge, and see you soon,

Michal.don

Finally I finished the second part of the STS-4 video. I'll have to train a bit more with all the camera mods and learn more about video editing to get it done in less time. Sry for the delay... I hope you'll enjoy:

When I have time and @Speeding Mullet is ok with STS-4, I'll go on with the space station missions. Not sure if I'll do a video again. Is it necessary to fly exactly four missions for the success of this mission, or could there be more?

Edited by funk

52 minutes ago, Bloojay said:

Here's my crappy proper submission, I uh... Nailed it.

Mods Used: Kerbal Engineer Redux, and Trajectories(-ish it was fiddly I wouldn't really say it really helped)

All I can say is:

Spoiler

hqdefault.jpg

Space K: STS - 2

I know I said no more video but after such praise I felt I had to step up my game a little bit.  About 90% of the video is at 7x, it's still pretty long (~25 mins)  I also forgot to include the clip but I am sad to say my new crawler did not make it up the approach incline for the launch pad either.  In lighter news, I built the Esper 412-C MK 2 carrier, nick named "Odie"  I'm quite proud of it.  Same list of mods in the same uses as before.  Be sure to enable annotations for extra info again.

Final Orbits:
Com Sat I - Ap: 351,250m  Pe: 350,997m  Dif: 253m
Com Sat II - Ap: 351,609m Pe: 350,761m  Dif: 848m

Ending Spoiler:

Spoiler

I didn't bring the shuttle back to KSC for two reasons.  First, I didn't want to play the whole mission for another 2 1/2 hours after already completing the main goals; Secondly, I wasn't planning on an island landing so KSC didn't even have the infrastructure to receive the mounted shuttle.  I haven't updated and replaced the (dis)mounting rig.  Besides, while recording, my frame rate was damn near unplayable already.  The physics did strange things at that low fps and almost caused me to scrap the mission entirely.

On 6/6/2016 at 7:18 PM, awfulhumanbeing said:

Good health for ya!

Cheers!  So with your shuttle design as it stands I think procedural wings would really help, especially with the part count, but also that thing looks long and heavy.  Space-Y I believe is the go to for mammoth boosters and the like.  @NecroBones does fantastic mod work and they are quite prevalent here in the shuttle challenge thread.

Other things I'd do - Exchange the Mainsails out for something lower weight and thrust with higher ISP.  Don't think you need all that power really.  I'd also if you are struggling with nose lift you can clip a few canards into the cockpit to help there.

Other advice - Have you implemented Claw's stock bug fix which corrects body lift?

On 6/7/2016 at 10:32 AM, Ourworldalpha1 said:

Tropical Storm Colin has delayed the Pics, anyone else being effected by it

i Live in Ocala FL

Not me - Had our own storms to deal with in Sydney at the weekend which took out the internet a few times!  Look forward to seeing the pics and hope all are safe!

On 6/7/2016 at 2:55 PM, Bloojay said:

I maded a thing

*Gallery Snip*                                                                                                                                              >Craft Thread Link<                                                                               (if a more accurate album is required i'd be happy to oblige)

It's cute as a button but unfortunately doesn't meet the entry requirements, which I think you know judging by your later post which I will get to shortly!

16 hours ago, michal.don said:

I'll be looking forward to the next one, but I have a feeling you'll be quite busy in the time coming, because the challenge is becoming quite popular, and lots of new builders appeared here recently.

Excellent and thanks for the potential ideas!  You are right - There's heaps of new people pouring into the challenge which is superb to see.  It's barely getting off the top one or two listings at the moment.  More the merrier I say!  Aero-braking at Duna for me is something I had a feeling my shuttle would be capable of, but I never thought it would look so cool and unusual!

16 hours ago, FCISuperGuy said:

ETA: 48 hours and counting...

EPIC!!!  Good to see you back around.  Can't wait to see what you pull out of the bag on this one :)

7 hours ago, funk said:

Finally I finished the second part of the STS-4 video. I'll have to train a bit more with all the camera mods and learn more about video editing to get it done in less time. Sry for the delay... I hope you'll enjoy:

*Video Snip*

When I have time and @Speeding Mullet is ok with STS-4, I'll go on with the space station missions. Not sure if I'll do a video again. Is it necessary to fly exactly four missions for the success of this mission, or could there be more?

Lord of funk, lord of awesome shuttle, another great effort and video mission report.  That really was really great to watch!  I loved of course the last extra mission to go and get the broken shuttle too!  Here's your badge oh worthy one:

yCCnUU7.jpg

If that's you at not having learned about video editing then you have big things ahead of you.  Clearly a natural I think!  

Oh yes for the STS 5-8 mission, 4 missions are prescribed.  I'm pretty comfortable if you want to do heaps of pre or post launches to build it into something much bigger (people sometimes work the challenge into a broader plan or mission report) but only on the assumption that your challenge submission for STS 5-8 meets the brief over 4 launches.  Hope that's the clarity you need!

6 hours ago, Bloojay said:

Here's my crappy proper submission, I uh... Nailed it.

*Gallery Snip*

Mods Used: Kerbal Engineer Redux, and Trajectories(-ish it was fiddly I wouldn't really say it really helped)

Um.  This was a pretty crazy mission and shuttle haha!  It looks so different.  That's not a bad thing at all it was just quite unexpected for it to have made it so incredibly far!

Unfortunately being the administrator of this challenge I am going to have to (partially) cut you down in your prime and quote from the rules.  Rule 8 states:  Missions must be completed in the logical order unless you are certified from either STS v1 or v2 challenges to the relevant level I think you may have missed this one?

Anyway.  In short while I recognise your incredible achievement I cannot award you the relevant mission badge.  Also I cannot see if your shuttle landed in one piece to be able to award you the level of Rank 1 (Pilot or Commander) which was going to be my dearly hoped for fall back option.

With that in mind a couple of options for you:  1) Fly more missions, starting at STS-1 and moving through the mission profiles.  2) Provide proof of safe shuttle landing (can't see the shuttle in your screen shot) for me to award you Rank 1,  or (and I hope you won't choose this as your shuttle is clearly hilarious and awesome) 3) Don't bother.

Hope to see you again soon :)

1 hour ago, AffreuxLex said:

Space K: STS - 2

I know I said no more video but after such praise I felt I had to step up my game a little bit.  About 90% of the video is at 7x, it's still pretty long (~25 mins)  I also forgot to include the clip but I am sad to say my new crawler did not make it up the approach incline for the launch pad either.  In lighter news, I built the Esper 412-C MK 2 carrier, nick named "Odie"  I'm quite proud of it.  Same list of mods in the same uses as before.  Be sure to enable annotations for extra info again.

*Video Snip*

Final Orbits:
Com Sat I - Ap: 351,250m  Pe: 350,997m  Dif: 253m
Com Sat II - Ap: 351,609m Pe: 350,761m  Dif: 848m

Ending Spoiler:

Hide contents

I didn't bring the shuttle back to KSC for two reasons.  First, I didn't want to play the whole mission for another 2 1/2 hours after already completing the main goals; Secondly, I wasn't planning on an island landing so KSC didn't even have the infrastructure to receive the mounted shuttle.  I haven't updated and replaced the (dis)mounting rig.  Besides, while recording, my frame rate was damn near unplayable already.  The physics did strange things at that low fps and almost caused me to scrap the mission entirely.

I can't believe I'm about to say this considering the super human effort you have gone to to create such a huge and detailed mission once again.  I hate myself for saying this but the mission requires the satellites to be boosted to Geostationary orbit, so about 2863.33 km not 350km.  Have you got enough juice left in the satellites to boost them to the correct altitude at all?

Also, what's the score with the spin stabilisation.  Looks like you had things set up right, but did it not work in any configuration for you?

If you can raise the satellites to geostationary orbit under their own juice and provide a couple of screenies I will of course be more than happy to award you the relevant badge.  So sorry to be militant on the requirements :(

SM

5 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

I can't believe I'm about to say this considering the super human effort you have gone to to create such a huge and detailed mission once again.  I hate myself for saying this but the mission requires the satellites to be boosted to Geostationary orbit, so about 2863.33 km not 350km.  Have you got enough juice left in the satellites to boost them to the correct altitude at all?

Also, what's the score with the spin stabilisation.  Looks like you had things set up right, but did it not work in any configuration for you?

If you can raise the satellites to geostationary orbit under their own juice and provide a couple of screenies I will of course be more than happy to award you the relevant badge.  So sorry to be militant on the requirements :(

SM

Don't be sorry.  That's what I get for not writing down the mission requirements before launch then checking during the flight.  I missed the part about geostationary orbit.  As for the spin stabilization, I'm not sure what you mean.  I fired the rockets and spun them up, was there something I missed?

There were a lot of things I was unhappy about with my entry anyway, from builds to launch and flight.  I'll do it again but better.  It's going to be a little while though because I want to tweak some builds and I have to rebuild the mounting rig.  Just because I don't plan to land on the island doesn't mean that it won't happen anyway.

14 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Also I cannot see if your shuttle landed in one piece-

It didn't. :P i uh.... may have... completely forgotten landing gear...

also i completely missed the part where i was supposed to complete all the previous challenges.... woops

Edited by Bloojay

22 hours ago, Bev7787 said:

Shuttle Challenge? Gonna put my shuttle in soonTM.

Nice can't wait to see it!

17 hours ago, AffreuxLex said:

I'll do it again but better

Wow....better?  Take your time, we will still be here when you are ready!

11 hours ago, Naito said:

Does this suffice for the fuel pod challenge?

1,650,186 x 1,650,094km orbit.

50% OMS fuel remaining for deorbit burn.

Manually flown using a fully fueled version of my updated shuttle https://kerbalx.com/crafts/14202

*Gallery Snip*

Unfortunately not.  Rule 6 is:  All missions require either an Imgur album showing each stage of the flight, or a continuous (1 take only) video showing all stages of the flight.

You only have 3 screenshots.  Review some of the other mission reports in this thread and you will see kind of detail that is required for a challenge submission.

8 hours ago, Bloojay said:

It didn't. :P i uh.... may have... completely forgotten landing gear...

also i completely missed the part where i was supposed to complete all the previous challenges.... woops

Haha it's all good.  You can chalk it up to experience, add landing gears, and do a re-run from the first mission if you like!

SM

20 minutes ago, Bev7787 said:

I think I have a shuttle for Duna already worked out. But I haven't even officially started the challenge!

Don't forget to begin at the beginning as the missions are meant to be done in order :)

SM

STS-1 Submission- Mallard

Mods: Stock Visual Enhancements

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

MechJeb

Kerbal Alarm Clock

StageRecovery

KW Rocketry (Not used in any of the shuttle parts, but the OP says all mods)

Kerbal Construction Time (Not used)

Distant Object Enhancement

Texture Replacer with Rareden's Skybox installed

Camera Tools

Note: I might modify the shuttle slightly with a different rcs fuel tank layout. Currently they're inside the cockpit.