Shuttle Challenge v3 - The 1.1.x STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly][11.10.2016 - CLOSED FOR REFURBISHMENT]

I've tried suborbital launch with HRO-N, separating Buran at 1,7 km/s. Even with having packed quite some extra fuel, the launcher had no chance of flying all the way across the ocean, so it ended like this
(it's on an island east of KSC. Across the entire ocean east)

4d4221d464eb.jpg

Yeah, the refueling procedure needs a bit of adjustment - the claw turned out to slide from most of the surfaces.

Then both these crafts flew back to runway
... and all of this was only the launch part of the actual mission...

UPD: And now to the main part...
Here's the new launch configuration: HRO-L  (Light)

953c3eab41ee.jpg

Perfect for operations in medium-altitude orbits.

And then the payload...

222fa296669b.png

Still much better aerodynamics than the last payload recovered!

UPD2: Yeah, definitely better flying than with the rock

d2467a0726fc.png

There will be video report.

Let's see where it gets me:

Energia-Buran

HRO

STS-1

Launching the 40+ t payload

HRO-M can carry the 40+ t payload to any altitude and back

STS-2

With the entire Buran reaching KSO

SSTO launch of HRO (not exactly qualified...)

STS-3

Done

HRO-N + Buran

STS-4/4R

Rescued crew of a Space Shuttle

HRO-L recovering the entire Buran (launched by HRO-N)

STS-5-8

4 modules with Buran + propulsion module launched on Energia

Not attempted, but does anyone doubt the capability?

STS-9

-

HRO-M landing 35 tons of rock

STS-10

Done

?

Edited by Alchemist

18 hours ago, Alchemist said:

I've tried suborbital launch with HRO-N, separating Buran at 1,7 km/s.

*Snip*

Nice work, at least you can do a decent field landing without spinning out with the low friction.  I'm not sure about the new settings to control the wheels and landing gears - not very intuitive!  What's next for you, the 168t payload?  Otherwise you are waiting for the next STS mission right?  Really need to produce the goods on that this weekend finally!

EDIT:  For some reason the second part of your post only flagged up once I'd commented.  Nice recovery of the shuttle there and looking forward to seeing the video.  Re: your table of completed missions STS 5-8 doesn't need to be run for your second shuttle.  AS long as you have progressed through the challenges with at least one shuttle you don't have to go back to re-prove with a new shuttle.  You can cherry pick!

Also 300 posts and 10k views on this thread is pretty darned awesome.  I wasn't sure if this one would take off for me but the community has been awesome so thanks to everyone for making this challenge great!

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet

Completed STS-3 on the commander level!  The wings have been moved back for stability, and low temperature tolerance parts such as RCS quads have been replaced, allowing a nice reentry with no parts lost.  Just barely made it on fuel.  Also added parachutes, which did not need to be used.

On 6/27/2016 at 4:28 AM, Speeding Mullet said:

Well done on rearranging the HST package to fit in the cargo bay, it's a great solution to attach them to the MMU's!  Re-entries from inclined orbits are definitely more challenging, but even more satisfying when you manage it.  I think the first inclined re-entry I did caused a whole design review of my Buran shuttle!

Now I'm going to have to be picky here - I can only award you the pilots badge as you haven't met the orbit requirements for the commander badge.  Your inclination is over 30 degrees.  Still a very impressive mission though so well done!

JqRGJ60.jpg

SM

I was wondering if you would notice that... It has given me an excuse to do my Hubble servicing mission that I have designed a payload for.

2zCqw8z.jpg

I was going to run the Hubble servicing mission next, but I was short on crew as Atlantis was stuck in orbit with a broken port aileron, so I had to do the rescue mission 1st. I wanted to use KIS/KAS to remove the offending aileron(s) so I could remotely deorbit and land Atlantis, however I could not get it to work (and I lost my screwdriver) so I guess I'm going to have to send another mission up to try to get her back!

When I was docking with the remote arm I ended up pushing both shuttles down to a 350x320 orbit (blame my lack of KAS/Infernal robotics knowledge...) but before I disconnected Atlantis was dragged back up to a 350x350 orbit.  

My landing was a little unorthodox... I did not have enough range to get Discovery to line up with the runway for a landing however much I tried. I still ended up on the runway, so I hope that counts!

Mods used that affected the design/performance of my shuttle:

Mechjeb

Kerbal Engineer

Better Burn Time

RCS Balancer

Dang It!

Shuttle Lifting Body (Body, Nose, OMS System)

Fuel Tanks Plus (External Tank)

Space Y (SRB's)

Tweakscale (WIngs)

Stage Recovery (SRB Recovery)

RemoteTech

KIS & KAS

Infernal Robotics (Remote Arm)

Edited by Paranoid Shark

Hey guys, this is my space shuttle ''Aquarius '', named after the Apollo 13 LEM. 

STS-1 Test out Aquarius.

Goals Launch, complete 5 orbits, open cargo bay, close cargo bay, return and land at KSC.

I have many mods installed, but me shuttle is completely stock bar an APAS docking port from the CXaerospace mod.

LVaGlf4.png

3Gczfzd.png

GzAYfv1.png

RODxJOh.png

EtHr8Et.png

5jF5tbY.png

HIHTNAw.png

Mission Outcome Success!

Edited by Kram45

On 30.06.2016 at 2:02 PM, Speeding Mullet said:

Nice work, at least you can do a decent field landing without spinning out with the low friction.  I'm not sure about the new settings to control the wheels and landing gears - not very intuitive!  

I think it's the same balancing issue - don't put your center of traction in front of  the CoM. That is, as long as main gear is bigger than the frontal one, just don't put the main gear too close to to CoM and it should be OK. Not sure if the width of the main gear affects this as well or only the positioning along the fuselage.
Not much spinning issues (apart from phantom jaw at maximum weight horizontal takeoff - but it's on the edge of stupidly clipping the gear into the runway) with what I have on these planes, except for some moments when driving the refueler backwards - so it's definitely the balancing.

What's next for you, the 168t payload?  Otherwise you are waiting for the next STS mission right?  Really need to produce the goods on that this weekend finally!

Not sure if HRO-M will even reach orbit with 168 t.  But that's just the medium configuration, spending about half of its internal fuel for reaching orbit after dropping the external tank. Which means I can always make a heavy version. By adding MOAR BOOSTERS. And more external tank.

Re: your table of completed missions STS 5-8 doesn't need to be run for your second shuttle.  AS long as you have progressed through the challenges with at least one shuttle you don't have to go back to re-prove with a new shuttle.  You can cherry pick!

I know. I'm redoing them in the case I can do them in some new way. Plus the payloads of STS-2 and STS-3 are totally worth being recorded on video, especially if it also includes some experiments with launch configurations. :wink:

EDIT:  For some reason the second part of your post only flagged up once I'd commented.  Nice recovery of the shuttle there and looking forward to seeing the video.  

The recovery vehicle is launched at 27:52, everything before is the launch and launcher recovery

On 7/1/2016 at 10:34 AM, sdj64 said:

Completed STS-3 on the commander level!  The wings have been moved back for stability, and low temperature tolerance parts such as RCS quads have been replaced, allowing a nice reentry with no parts lost.  Just barely made it on fuel.  Also added parachutes, which did not need to be used.

*Gallery Snip*

The more I see this shuttle the more sold on it I am - not just because it's clearly proving itself worthy, but just because it's so unusual.  Have I awarded you the Skunkworks Badge yet?!  Anyway good work on the mission.  Your orbit was spot on, and despite narrow margins you made it back to the runway for a nice landing.  Have a badge Commander!   neSFTQk.jpg

On 7/2/2016 at 5:54 AM, Paranoid Shark said:

I was wondering if you would notice that... It has given me an excuse to do my Hubble servicing mission that I have designed a payload for.

2zCqw8z.jpg

I was going to run the Hubble servicing mission next, but I was short on crew as Atlantis was stuck in orbit with a broken port aileron, so I had to do the rescue mission 1st. I wanted to use KIS/KAS to remove the offending aileron(s) so I could remotely deorbit and land Atlantis, however I could not get it to work (and I lost my screwdriver) so I guess I'm going to have to send another mission up to try to get her back!

When I was docking with the remote arm I ended up pushing both shuttles down to a 350x320 orbit (blame my lack of KAS/Infernal robotics knowledge...) but before I disconnected Atlantis was dragged back up to a 350x350 orbit.  

My landing was a little unorthodox... I did not have enough range to get Discovery to line up with the runway for a landing however much I tried. I still ended up on the runway, so I hope that counts!

Mods used that affected the design/performance of my shuttle:

*List Snip*

*Gallery Snip*

That's awesome!  I hadn't thought of adding an HST servicing mission.  I'm not sure what it would take to make it a mission worth doing in this challenge as a STS-3 part b, but I'm open to it potentially.  Can you post a link to the HST servicing mission once you've completed so I can have a look at it please?  Also if you can use the Hubble servicing mission to align the orbital parameters correctly, and return to KSC or island runway then I will definitely upgrade you to Commander level!

Onto your mission proper, and a very very nice rescue mission indeed.  The orbit parameters check out, and while you landed on the grass not the runway, that's clearly "returning to KSC" so yep you check out, and pass out to level 4 Commander!   rohCksW.jpg

Can't wait to see you get stuck into the Space Station Mission sequence.  For me it was the most satisfying (apart from possibly landing a potato :) )

On 7/2/2016 at 6:59 AM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Just tweaking ROCV-001 'Nomad' Mk 7.317 to the Mk 7.4 with AeroSpike OMS rockets and slightly better XT before official submission

That's quite the designation!  Good to see you taking it seriously and can't wait to see the finished result!!

12 hours ago, Kram45 said:

Hey guys, this is my space shuttle ''Aquarius '', named after the Apollo 13 LEM. 

STS-1 Test out Aquarius.

Goals Launch, complete 5 orbits, open cargo bay, close cargo bay, return and land at KSC.

I have many mods installed, but me shuttle is completely stock bar an APAS docking port from the CXaerospace mod.

*Picture Snip*

*Picture Snip*

*Picture Snip*

*Picture Snip*

*Picture Snip*

*Picture Snip*

*Picture Snip*

Mission Outcome Success!

Hi there and welcome to the challenge!  It's great to see new people entering, and I'm honored that you've decided to up your post count since joining a year a go with entry to the challenge!  Couple of bits of house keeping if you will humor me:

1)  Please can you use imgur to post in gallery format for your images instead of posting them inline?  Things tend to run away with post length and it becomes difficult to view especially on mobile devices otherwise.

2)  Awesome screenshots, and a beautifully designed shuttle by the looks of it, very crisp!!  Unfortunately your pictures (as silly as this is going to sound) provide little proof of achieving orbit as you have F2'd to get rid of all the important information which validates your entry.  Have a look at some of the other challenge entries if you are not sure and you will see what I mean

3)  I've had a look at the APAS docking port and am comfortable with it's use under a stock entry.  It's not powering your shuttle, or an integral part of making it fly so you qualify for Stock :)

Having said all that I'm happy for the first level that you've completed the mission as described (you can tell visibly that you are in orbit and why would you make it up), and would therefore like to award you the rank of Commander level 1.  Awesome job and hope to see you back for the next part of the challenge!   sE1QW9Q.jpg

12 hours ago, Alchemist said:

By adding MOAR BOOSTERS

I am very very keen to see your HRO - H (Humongous) designate lift that fuel pod :).  That will be a sight to behold.  I know of one person who has lifted the pod but they haven't posted the result yet.  Cough Cough @Cipher_077:)

12 hours ago, Alchemist said:

*Video Snip*

The recovery vehicle is launched at 27:52, everything before is the launch and launcher recovery

Right so did I miss that video or did you just post it?  Hope I'm not losing my touch as admin of this challenge!  Either way I have now watched it and am amazed as normal with another great video.  Can you rescue me?  Yes you can!  I think that's the first full recovery of a shuttle and crew from orbit if I'm not mistaken (I haven't checked back and my memory is bad).  I like the extra effort you went to to refuel the sub-orbital HRO carrier vehicle for the first mission.  Here's your much deserved badge  yCCnUU7.jpg

10 hours ago, Ourworldalpha1 said:

script>VByG8cbOsiG00JYZOGVGw

Here are some pics i am in the middle of testing EDL-can orbit

Also got Kerbal 1.1.3 Working:cool:

More info coming soon 

P.S right mouse click to see the images

The first image just links back to the main forum thread page, but the others work when you right click.  There's a couple of different ways you can share on imgur where the picture or gallery will insert into the thread without showing as a broken image.  Have a look at one of the imgur photo sharing guides for KSP forum.  Can point you in the right direction if you cannot find it.

Shuttle looks great - Keep us updated and can't wait to see your first entry to the challenge!

In other news I am going to upload the next STS mission shortly and finally, and then I will be putting out a couple of notifications.

Cheers

SM

6 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

I am very very keen to see your HRO - H (Humongous) designate lift that fuel pod :).  That will be a sight to behold.

Looks like there will be gradation on the versions of HRO-H
Results so far:

• HRO-H6: got to LKO, failed to circularize at 500 km. Also terrible ascent TWR profile for this payload weight. No further testing
  • HRO-H7:
    -  KSO - failed to circularize (barely)
    -  Edge of SOI - failed to circularize. barely. Same Delta v requirement to get there as KSO? and definitely less to deorbit
    -  2000 km - circularized, but failed to deorbit
    -  1500 km - success (still have to aim the landing, but there's enough fuel for it landed it, but not without a flat spin. It suddenly got a bit tail heavy - need to slightly adjust the airframe)
  • There's still a bit of space for improvement... Any bets on HRO-H8? :wink:

What does the digit mean? Well, for now let's say that HRO-M qualifies as H3

Has anybody calculated which altitude really is the most delta-v expensive? Because the circularization cost definitely starts to drop after some altitude.

Edited by Alchemist

10 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

That's awesome!  I hadn't thought of adding an HST servicing mission.  I'm not sure what it would take to make it a mission worth doing in this challenge as a STS-3 part b, but I'm open to it potentially.  Can you post a link to the HST servicing mission once you've completed so I can have a look at it please?  Also if you can use the Hubble servicing mission to align the orbital parameters correctly, and return to KSC or island runway then I will definitely upgrade you to Commander level!

Onto your mission proper, and a very very nice rescue mission indeed.  The orbit parameters check out, and while you landed on the grass not the runway, that's clearly "returning to KSC" so yep you check out, and pass out to level 4 Commander!   rohCksW.jpg

Can't wait to see you get stuck into the Space Station Mission sequence.  For me it was the most satisfying (apart from possibly landing a potato :) )

Hey,

So the plan for the HST Servicing mission is to launch to 500km then hohmann transfer to rendezvous. MMUs will dedock from shuttle with the new panels attached and dock with the HST manuevering engine. Then plan is to dock the engine to HST, then remove the old solar panels with one MMU whilst the other MMU docks the new solar panels. If everything goes to plan, the old panels (if I dont break them as they will still be deployed) will then be docked onto the end of the new panels. This will then be repated for the other side. The MMUs will then dock together to make the return trip back to the shuttle. Finally there will be a plane change maneuver to bring the HST to 28.5° inclination.

I have also been inspired by @ZooNamedGames Saturn Shuttle I wondered if it would be possible to design an Apollo CSM/LM that fits in a CRG-100 bay. I'm at work at the moment, but you'll get pics of it tomorrow hopefully. 

It has enough fuel to dedock from the shuttle in LKO, hohmann transfer to the Mun or Minmus, land and then return to Kerbin (Apollo style) or for added bonus points dock with the shuttle in LKO to return everything but the descent stage (if you went to the Mun rather than Minmus) to the KSC

As for the Space station, I've kinda hit a wall, as I love @Nertea's Space Station Expanded mod,  I made an awesome Core + Hab for my station, but his 2.5m 6way hub is too wide for a Mk3 bay when you put docking ports on the faces. I'm in the process of a new shuttle design, possibly using Mk4 parts just so I can get the Core to orbit...

I also have an upgraded version of my shuttle that has a nuclear OMS system, larger SRB's and ET, that should be able to deliver the standard fuel pod to orbit around Duna, or the (short lived) 84 ton pod to 1000km. I still havn't tackled your 168 ton monster though!

I just dont have enough time to play with all of my cool designs. I'm setting up a kerbalx profile so you guys can have a go with all the stock payloads, but my shuttles are so mod dependant I doubt that they will appeal to many people.

Kit

Edited by Paranoid Shark

Delta v to various altitudes from 70 km LKO (purple line includes deorbit to 30 km periapsis)

56c4f353da4f.png

The most expensive is in 6000-10000 km  range (depending on mass ratio... but the numbers don't really change much in this range), then it slowly drops.

1 hour ago, Paranoid Shark said:

Hey,

So the plan for the HST Servicing mission is to launch to 500km then hohmann transfer to rendezvous. MMUs will dedock from shuttle with the new panels attached and dock with the HST manuevering engine. Then plan is to dock the engine to HST, then remove the old solar panels with one MMU whilst the other MMU docks the new solar panels. If everything goes to plan, the old panels (if I dont break them as they will still be deployed) will then be docked onto the end of the new panels. This will then be repated for the other side. The MMUs will then dock together to make the return trip back to the shuttle. Finally there will be a plane change maneuver to bring the HST to 28.5° inclination.

I have also been inspired by @ZooNamedGames Saturn Shuttle I wondered if it would be possible to design an Apollo CSM/LM that fits in a CRG-100 bay. I'm at work at the moment, but you'll get pics of it tomorrow hopefully. 

It has enough fuel to dedock from the shuttle in LKO, hohmann transfer to the Mun or Minmus, land and then return to Kerbin (Apollo style) or for added bonus points dock with the shuttle in LKO to return everything but the descent stage (if you went to the Mun rather than Minmus) to the KSC

As for the Space station, I've kinda hit a wall, as I love @Nertea's Space Station Expanded mod,  I made an awesome Core + Hab for my station, but his 2.5m 6way hub is too wide for a Mk3 bay when you put docking ports on the faces. I'm in the process of a new shuttle design, possibly using Mk4 parts just so I can get the Core to orbit...

I also have an upgraded version of my shuttle that has a nuclear OMS system, larger SRB's and ET, that should be able to deliver the standard fuel pod to orbit around Duna, or the (short lived) 84 ton pod to 1000km. I still havn't tackled your 168 ton monster though!

I just dont have enough time to play with all of my cool designs. I'm setting up a kerbalx profile so you guys can have a go with all the stock payloads, but my shuttles are so mod dependant I doubt that they will appeal to many people.

Kit

As to my design, it will not hold a CSM+LM as the cargo bay is basically only the half size one. Even then, I doubt the vehicle has enough DV to make orbit then to the moon, it would have to be a direct to mun mission which would be risky as it likely doesn't have enough to return unless the direct orbit was one of a free return trajectory which would be difficult to achieve from a direct launch and the last major issue is that the orbiter would be traveling far too fast, faster than I've ever flown it, so it would likely burn up... Especially since the free return trajectory from direct would likely return the vehicle into the atmosphere almost directly down causing the most heat and also possibility to impact into the ground.

So sadly, no the Saturn Shuttle cannot go to the moon and carry the CSM+LM :/ .

32 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

So sadly, no the Saturn Shuttle cannot go to the moon and carry the CSM+LM :/

Ahh, You misunderstand me. I was inspired by your combining of the two programs. I wanted to combine them in the other way, with a Shuttle deploying an Apollo CSM/LM from LKO.

Kit

Edited by Paranoid Shark

25 minutes ago, Paranoid Shark said:

Ahh, You misunderstand me. I was inspired by your combining of the two programs. I wanted to combine them in the other way, with a Shuttle deploying an Apollo CSM/LM from LKO.

Kit

Oh. Well enjoy, and good luck.

Thanks for reply

Next set of pics will be about a Transoceanic Abort test 

Von Brawn Kerman states("this spacecraft will be the first to have more than 50% chance of success")

Jeb keeps bugging the enginers to add more boosters

Hear from you again=:)

i will work on the pics after the 4th of july 

Q1DGE

Unfortunately could not get it to stop displaying a broken picture:(

But here is my Abort test Album.

Have a nice day:D

Edited by Ourworldalpha1

On 7/4/2016 at 10:03 PM, Alchemist said:

1500 km - success

Getting closer to an entry soon I reckon!

On 7/5/2016 at 3:47 AM, Paranoid Shark said:

I still havn't tackled your 168 ton monster though!

That's a fair assessment of the size of the thing!  I think you should have a crack though can't wait to see how people manage to do this.  Just the amount it will throw the COM off in most shuttles will be enough to ruin everything for many people.

Would love to see a Mk4 based shuttle.  I saw a thread recently where someone was creating STS for RSS.  That is a crazy crazy thing to attempt.  Oh wait here it is:

On 7/5/2016 at 4:48 AM, Alchemist said:

Delta v to various altitudes from 70 km LKO (purple line includes deorbit to 30 km periapsis)

Nice work, did you create this?  I had a look last night and was going to reply to your post and then my brain just 'sploded.  Thanks for sharing!

On 7/5/2016 at 5:54 AM, Paranoid Shark said:

I wanted to combine them in the other way, with a Shuttle deploying an Apollo CSM/LM from LKO

That's potentially a nice idea for a mission, we haven't been to the Mun yet have we?  Not sure where it would fit in the scheme of the challenge gradients though.

On 7/5/2016 at 8:17 AM, Ourworldalpha1 said:

But here is my Abort test Album.

Excellent progress.  I copied the JSC Shuttle IIc a while back and it had a particularly unique abort sequence, based largely by the looks of it around total disintegration, but on closer inspection it was actually a very clever piece of work:

cROnafi.png4w0hwdC.png

I was also thinking about the potential of a separate badge for clever escape systems, but in the end decided that it is covered by the Skunkworks badge.

On 7/5/2016 at 1:45 PM, Cipher_077 said:

@Speeding Mullet gonna work on it today

Awesome, good luck with the monster Ore pod!

In other news and as a natural finish to this post i'm just going to leave this here and walk away :)

STS-11:  Can You Land on me?

pTzl4q6.png   

This mission requires not only a Shuttle capable of getting to Duna, but also one capable of landing on the red planet and successfully returning to Kerbin.  You may require extensive shuttle modifications, or even a new shuttle design for this mission.

NOTE:  You may launch 1 support package for your shuttle using a traditional rocket or shuttle launch for this mission, and feel free to use the mission to add another module to your outpost (this is not a requirement for the challenge)

Badges Avaliable

STS Pilot - Rank 8

3ECkakt.jpg  x1tdjJZ.jpg

Launch your shuttle to Duna, capture how ever you like and visit your orbital outpost from STS-10 before or after your Duna landing.  Return home, capturing however you like and landing where you want.

STS Commander - Rank 8

NtisK8P.jpg  XKlYg8d.jpg

Launch your shuttle to Duna.  Aero-brake/capture at Duna and visit your orbital outpost from STS-10 in Low Duna Orbit before or after your Duna landing.  Return home, aero-brake/capture at Kerbin,  land at either at the KSC, the Island Airfield just off of KSC, or at any Kerbal Konstructs airport.

GOOD LUCK!

Edit:  Cough cough, @michal.don :) 

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet

trUuyVP.png

6ZlmC86.png

This thing flies a lot more stable than I ever could of imagined on launch O_O! But I still can't quite make it to orbit! soo soo soo soo close! and that's not to mention the nose cone Burning up issue and the Maintank sep OMS fuel feed issue! but i'm slowly improving the design!

Edited by Dermeister

Getting closer to an entry soon I reckon!

It will be double entry, actually. Featuring HRO-H7 and HRO-H8. Ridiculously humongous.
The most hilarious part was that I tweaked the aerodynamics between the flights, but second landing didn't go any better than the first. That's what happens when you take something developed in 1.1.2 and put it in 1.1.3. And only then I found an elegant solution that seems to return the craft back to normal performance.

On the bright side I might say I have learned how to get out of this. If I only had any much idea on how I managed
580x380_PSMbhAKgIMxsiuHWj23V.jpg

Nice work, did you create this?  I had a look last night and was going to reply to your post and then my brain just 'sploded.  Thanks for sharing!

Just found the formulas and threw them into Excel.
The requirement barely grows after KSO and after the Mun it even starts falling. To the point full trip may be cheaper than KSO.

Launch your shuttle to Duna.  Aero-brake/capture at Duna and visit your orbital outpost from STS-10 in Low Duna Orbit before or after your Duna landing.  Return home, aero-brake/capture at Kerbin,  land at either at the KSC, the Island Airfield just off of KSC, or at any Kerbal Konstructs airport

Sounds just about as something I was going to try anyway...

Hey speeding mullet,i have a question

I have already tested my shuttle Payload capabilities

but can i build a reusable variant of the Shuttle-C look up Wikipedia on it and bring me a response next post okay

P.S its for the 168 Ton ore Challenge

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here are the stats for the crew variant

Stats: lite version

Name:Kerbal Shuttle Atlantis

Cost:211,603 VF

Mass:534.804 Tons at lift-off-47.452 tons after ET SEP(No payload)

Payload to LKO-60 tons to 180x180 km Orbit

Payload to MKO-42 tons to 400x400 km orbit

Payload to KSO-7 tons with Kick motor to 280x2868 km transfer orbit

Payload to Beyond KSO with Kick motor-TBD

Crew:4

Max T@W at liftoff-1.70 with max payload 1.18Tw

DV in orbit: without KER it's a guest: about 350m/s with Max payload

LKO=Low Kerbin Orbit(70-220KM)

MKO=Med Kerbin Orbit(220-5000km)

KSO= Keostationary orbit(2800-2900km)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMS engines for orbit circulation and maneuvers

LF-OX Pro grade veneir engines for fine tune maneuver or emergencies-Dv about 80 m/s with OMS tank depleted

More stats will come with time and Testing

Also i found out that the Main engines determin the payload

the heavier the Payload the MOAR power the engines put out until 60 Tons when the thrust is maxed out on liftoff for Center of thrust-center of mass alignment balance

Edited by Ourworldalpha1

16 hours ago, Dermeister said:

This thing flies a lot more stable than I ever could of imagined on launch O_O! But I still can't quite make it to orbit! soo soo soo soo close! and that's not to mention the nose cone Burning up issue and the Maintank sep OMS fuel feed issue! but i'm slowly improving the design!

Still cannot believe you are attempting this insanity in RSS!!!!  IF more people used it there would definitely be mileage in creating an RSS badge for those brave enough!

15 hours ago, Ourworldalpha1 said:

next flight will be my first entry into the challenge

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

6 hours ago, Ourworldalpha1 said:

Hey speeding mullet,i have a question

and

4 hours ago, Ourworldalpha1 said:

IF the Reusable Shuttle-C concept is a go on the the Rules

From what I've seen/read the Shuttle C was a wingless and crew-less module that made use of the existing shuttle ET and boosters (and shuttle engines) to take payload to orbit.  A wingless and/or crew-less module would not be allowed as per the challenge rules as the "Shuttle" specifically has to be a winged and crewed orbiter.  If you are making a Shuttle C but with a winged and crewed orbiter then you are really just making an STS or derivative and of course that fits in with the rules.

As to your specific question as to whether you can fly a wingless and crew-less Shuttle C to attempt the 168t Ore Pod lift the answer is no as per rules the shuttle must be both winged and crewed.  Can you get away with designing a Shuttle C that has the absolute minimum amount of "wing" possible and relies mainly on body lift and has a single crew space instead of a heavy MK3 cockpit, then sure.  Rules are meant to be bent but no broken, and Kraken only knows there's a lot of rule bending that goes on in this challenge :D

Hope that helps clarify things for you!

9 hours ago, Alchemist said:

On the bright side I might say I have learned how to get out of this. If I only had any much idea on how I managed

My shuttle was stricken by this in early development and while the problems are sorted now, when it happens on other craft my solution mostly is to give it full beans, take SAS off and wait for it to sort itself out.

9 hours ago, Alchemist said:

Sounds just about as something I was going to try anyway...

Excellent, you don't think I wimped out on the complexity do you?  Strikes me it's a hard hard mission even compared to just getting to Duna orbit.

In other news, I will be going on holiday from weekend after next for a couple of weeks and am totally unplugging from everything that resembles something that would give me access to work emails.  Therefore I may be approaching 1 or more people via PM to ask if they would like to moderate the thread for a couple of weeks on my behalf.  If I ask you and you cannot commit to doing it a simple refusal is fine rather than saying yes and regretting it later.  If I don't ask you and you feel I should have, then I'm sorry. :)

SM

36 minutes ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Still cannot believe you are attempting this insanity in RSS!!!!  IF more people used it there would definitely be mileage in creating an RSS badge for those brave enough!

Why it's not that hard! just everything scales up! but the basics still apply..more heat doe and more DV.. but i'm sure no matter what System you're in all the main issues stopping me.... can stop any 1 else. It's not size related it's just New guy trying to figure it out related and maybe a bug here and there. I still have a lot of work to do but i'm getting closer.... Still can't make it to orbit but right now I have other issues to fix before I attempt orbit!