Shuttle Challenge v3 - The 1.1.x STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly][11.10.2016 - CLOSED FOR REFURBISHMENT]

16 minutes ago, Dermeister said:

Why it's not that hard!

Maybe, but there seems to be some reverence around accomplishments in RSS that in a normal Kerbal system would be relatively minor accomplishments, such as going to Mun/Duna etc so I figured it must be ultimately much more difficult.  Maybe I'll give it a try one of these days and find out for myself.

17 minutes ago, Dermeister said:

Still can't make it to orbit but right now I have other issues to fix before I attempt orbit!

GL mate, let us know if you need any help in resolving issues :)

SM

Orbits:

HRO-H7: 1 509 235 - 1 509 271 m

HRO-H8: 10 145 371 - 10 145 783 m
... which also means it can to any higher altitude

2 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Excellent, you don't think I wimped out on the complexity do you?  Strikes me it's a hard hard mission even compared to just getting to Duna orbit.

It is just something I designed for the previous level and haven't flown yet. Previous level meaning that it also carries a module for the station.

Edited by Alchemist

2 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Maybe, but there seems to be some reverence around accomplishments in RSS that in a normal Kerbal system would be relatively minor accomplishments, such as going to Mun/Duna etc so I figured it must be ultimately much more difficult.  Maybe I'll give it a try one of these days and find out for myself.

GL mate, let us know if you need any help in resolving issues :)

SM

It's fuel related idon't know if it's a bug or not. But if here ill link you to the thread where I describe the issue.

Here is STS-Apollo.

This was so much fun.

I have to tidy up the subassembly a bit, but then I'll post it for everyone to play with. The lander has a few power issues at the moment. Apollo has lots of extra Dv if you go for a standard splashdown, but recovery by the shuttle is also possible!

Payload is stock, Mod list for the shuttle is the same as previous STS missions.

Kit

Edited by Paranoid Shark

It does thanks,I will stop referring it as Shuttle-C it's now the ( Heavy,Versatile,Space Shuttle,ARES)HVSSA

i can with every Mission for this Challenge have a Crew tank in the cargo Bay,so it can be easily manned,But it will be controlled using a 2.5 meter Probe core and it has Wings and other control surfaces for Re-entry and landing on Atmospheric Planets/Moons, the inspiration is from the Skylon Space plane,look it up

I also tested it, i also have plans for it to be the Mother ship for the JOOL 5 Challenge, it's that Powerful:cool:

But it's up to you on rules, I can give you a pic of my Manned Jool 5 Variant:)

P.S if you seen the Pics it has Wings-But unfortunately this was a test flight and was flown Unmanned for Safety 

Edited by Ourworldalpha1

@Speeding Mullet god, this was though man! My new shuttle named "Pulse" is already much heavier than "Force of Nature" already was, and taking it to LKO with 168t inside was a challenge! But after (a LOOOOT of) fuel pumping and gravity assists I took the ore pod to a 82000km orbit. The assists helped, but mostly my new shuttle has more powerful OMS with more Delta V, so the Duna mission soon will definitely be possible. Anyway, here it is http://imgur.com/a/ew1Ut

Also, im gonna send you a PM and don't forget to update the leaderboard!

3 hours ago, Cipher_077 said:

@Speeding Mullet god, this was though man! My new shuttle named "Pulse" is already much heavier than "Force of Nature" already was, and taking it to LKO with 168t inside was a challenge! But after (a LOOOOT of) fuel pumping and gravity assists I took the ore pod to a 82000km orbit. The assists helped, but mostly my new shuttle has more powerful OMS with more Delta V, so the Duna mission soon will definitely be possible. Anyway, here it is http://imgur.com/a/ew1Ut

This gets JEB SEAL OF APROVALL:D

Hey,

I had a bit more time today, so here is the Hubble servicing mission I have been working on. (STS-3b :wink:)

The engine has quite a bit more fuel as I wanted it to be able to remotely de-orbit Hubble if needed.

Primary mission objective was to install the Maneuvering/De-Orbit engine. The secondary objective was to install the new solar panels. Finally, if possible the original panels would be re-installed on the ends of the new panels. The MMUs would then be returned to the shuttle. The Maneuvering engine would then be activated and Hubble's inclination will be corrected to 28.5°.

Payload is stock, my standard mods for my shuttle.

Once again, @Speeding Mullet thanks for running this challenge!

Kit

Edited by Paranoid Shark

2 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

@Speeding Mullet, question about STS2 mission. Do the Com Sats have to actually go in to KSO, or just be deployed from the shuttle? it's  not really set out in the OP

The comsats have to end up in kso, the shuttle does not have to go to kso as well though. Deployment altitudes depend on what badge you want, there are more details in the OP

Be aware that the payload may need some modification, as it was built a few versions ago. I experienced problems with fuel routing, others have had problems with phantom lift caused by the cases for the comsats when the cargo bay is closed. 

Kit

On 7/6/2016 at 8:15 PM, Alchemist said:

*Video Snip*

Orbits:

HRO-H7: 1 509 235 - 1 509 271 m

HRO-H8: 10 145 371 - 10 145 783 m
... which also means it can to any higher altitude

It is just something I designed for the previous level and haven't flown yet. Previous level meaning that it also carries a module for the station.

Haha another awesome cup fo tea post work video to review.  The Heavy configuration actually suits the shuttle I reckon.  I think if I made the ore pod any heavier (say 1000t) then people would eventually work out how to design a shuttle capable of doing it anyway, so the 168t Ore Pod will be sticking around as the "Harder" of the two power lifting challenges!  Good luck finding the source of the instability on your shuttle, and here is your badge.  I will update the leader-board shortly for you!   YbUvgWK.jpg

On 7/6/2016 at 8:15 PM, Alchemist said:

Previous level meaning that it also carries a module for the station.

Awesome, so going for the extra part of the mission as well.  Landing a Shuttle on Duna is hard, but it looks like the HRO has the wing for it.  Best way I've found is just to come screaming in at a steep angle so when you flare you are carrying enough speed to gain significant lift to keep you off the ground while you shed forward speed.  It's almost like the suicide burn for shuttles!  I did experiment with a highly complex setup using LfO driven vtol fans that deployed using robotics parts from the cargo bay, but gave up in the end and just went for old school.

On 7/6/2016 at 9:42 PM, Dermeister said:

It's fuel related idon't know if it's a bug or not. But if here ill link you to the thread where I describe the issue.

So it looks like you are going to need someone with a similar set up or knowledge of RSS and RF to help you.  I'm not that person unfortunately, but if anyone else can help please visit the thread.  Best luck sorting your issue, hope to see you back in the thread soon :)

On 7/7/2016 at 0:14 AM, Paranoid Shark said:

Here is STS-Apollo.

That is an absolutely awesome mission!  I love the idea of doing an Apollo style mission but as previously stated I'm not sure where it fits quite into the difficulty level of the challenges.  I'm certainly in favour of taking the challenge thread to the moon, just need to figure out the best way of doing that.  Nice mission @Paranoid Shark thanks for sharing with us.  Also - very tidy lander, that's a good bit of design!

On 7/7/2016 at 1:07 AM, Ourworldalpha1 said:

But it's up to you on rules

From what you have told me you are good to go :).  I saw the pics of your shuttle, I just wasn't clear exactly what you were talking about as the Shuttle C had no wings.

On 7/7/2016 at 1:56 AM, Ourworldalpha1 said:

Hey Speeding Mullet

Here is KTS-1 Mission Album,The First Orbital Test@My first entry into the challenge,Enjoy:cool:

IZrsh

it was suppose to be a 5 orbit mission but only did 3,Got carried away:confused:

Hey that's great, congratulations on your first official entry to the challenge thread, and good to see another shuttle builder steeping into it!  I like the shuttle, but love the gallery style you produce for your missions also - it's the little touches such as the photo from the cockpit that make them fun to read.  Clearly this shuttle has a future so progress with the missions and see you next time :)  Here's your badge!   Rvs3vgQ.jpg

On 7/7/2016 at 2:55 AM, Cipher_077 said:

;.;...Oh my word.  AMAZING!  This shuttle is basically the Big Mac of shuttles isn't it.  Look how much fuel you landed with, probably could have taken the ore pod to Tylo's surface.  I don't even know what to say, have a badge for Krakens sake!  YbUvgWK.jpg

Seriously though that's an amazing redesign to take the pod to the edge of the SOI so well done, and well deserved top spot on the leader-board, which I will update soon :)

On 7/7/2016 at 7:36 AM, Paranoid Shark said:

Hey,

I had a bit more time today, so here is the Hubble servicing mission I have been working on. (STS-3b :wink:)

The engine has quite a bit more fuel as I wanted it to be able to remotely de-orbit Hubble if needed.

Primary mission objective was to install the Maneuvering/De-Orbit engine. The secondary objective was to install the new solar panels. Finally, if possible the original panels would be re-installed on the ends of the new panels. The MMUs would then be returned to the shuttle. The Maneuvering engine would then be activated and Hubble's inclination will be corrected to 28.5°.

Payload is stock, my standard mods for my shuttle.

*Gallery Snip*

Once again, @Speeding Mullet thanks for running this challenge!

Kit

Another superb mission, and very happy to be upgrading you from pilot to commander for this servicing mission.  You could have just run it again, but I much prefer your mission that you've done here :)   MvCxjCK.jpg

7 hours ago, Paranoid Shark said:

The comsats have to end up in kso, the shuttle does not have to go to kso as well though. Deployment altitudes depend on what badge you want, there are more details in the OP.

@OrbitalBuzzsaw Paranoid shark is correct in their post, and the OP contains the info to match.  Good luck with the mission :)

SM

According to the numbers *pushes his none existent nerd glasses back u on his nose* this is what it takes to orbit in RSS I don't know why it's so disproportionate than in Real life... probably because in real life they use solids? I don't know but for me if I juge only by numbers... this should orbit. Now mind you it's empty has no cargo. But still! 1 step at a time! It's a fun challenge! I will build a space station eventually! the good news is I can ad like 5 tons of cargo in this and it only affects my TWR by 0.01 :DM8CTr6i.png

Edited by Dermeister

Love the Badge Speeding Mullet

i am working on an upgraded Version of the Manned Shuttle called Epsilon

Same payload to higher orbits:cool:.

I also got all of the subassembullies and test launching in the simulator with them to give you a perfect mission when i post,

Next post will be the KTS-4 the fuel tank to 280X280km

P.S i am using the same shuttle to build a station in high orbit  so the numbers will not be in order,Larger program in progress,ISS Replica 

The tank is successfully in orbit,Solar Flare forced the crew to land in the Desert for safety,or alternate landing site:cool:

r9yBH

Enjoy:sticktongue::D

P.S Jeb,Bill,Bob are on another missions to prevent RUJ

RUJ=Rapid Unscheduled Joking:cool: 

Edited by Ourworldalpha1
JOKES

6 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Haha another awesome cup fo tea post work video to review.  The Heavy configuration actually suits the shuttle I reckon

Yeah, when I was designing HRO, the idea with fuel capacity basically was being able to get heavy payloads to and from high orbits after the external tank is dropped slightly before achieving LKO. HRO-H8 actually was the first time external tank separated at over 2 km/s. And getting with almost full tanks in LKO the ship actually turned out capable of dragging 168 t practically anywhere (for reference, dry mass of HRO is about 70 t, so the payload was over twice the mass of the orbiter)

6 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Good luck finding the source of the instability on your shuttle, and here is your badge.

Thanks! The instability source is simple - it was developed in 1.1.2 with broken body lift. So in 1.1.3 the CoL shifted a bit forward. Solution is also simple - there are wing panels covering the gap between payload bay and fuel tanks on the bottom - removing a bit of that from the front seems to do the job. It may still be possible to put the craft into spin by pulling the controls too hard, but at least now it stabilizes prograde with controls released not into flat spin.

7 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Landing a Shuttle on Duna is hard, but it looks like the HRO has the wing for it.  Best way I've found is just to come screaming in at a steep angle so when you flare you are carrying enough speed to gain significant lift to keep you off the ground while you shed forward speed.  It's almost like the suicide burn for shuttles!

And while you are going with high pitch you can always use the engines to slow the descent a bit. I've even had planes landed on the Mun with final burn done with about 45 degree pitch (yes, horizontal landing. takeoff may be a little tricky). And this wing area should really make some good lift even on Duna.

7 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

I did experiment with a highly complex setup using LfO driven vtol fans that deployed using robotics parts from the cargo bay, but gave up in the end and just went for old school

Fans behave as bad as wings with not enough air. I'd rather consider VTOL rocket engines... great, now I'm also contemplating strapping one such plane on a rocket...

Can i make new payloads for this challenge

send them to you so you can evaluate them yourself from possible intergration with this challenge

I see a lack of deep space probes missions, like Galileo,TDRS,Magellan,ect

All launched by the real Space Shuttle

Like input soon Cheers:cool:

New payloads can be interesting. However, there's also the question of engineering and piloting challenge progression.

STS-1

Just get in orbit and back

STS-2

Deploy payload in LKO, use its own propulsion to reach target orbit

STS-3

Additional orbit specifications

EVA operations

STS-4/4R

Rendezvous (close maneuvering optional)

EVA crew transfer (unless some more complex options used)

Requires having payload (crew module) on landing (or having extra crew capacity in the base configuration)

STS-5-8

Multiple rendezvous

Module docking (docking the shuttle itself optional)

STS-9

Rendezvous and catching the payload (in interplanetary or Kerbin escape trajectory)

Oversized payload recovery

STS-10

Interplanetary transfers

Delivering payload to another planet

Aerobraking from interplanetary trajectory

STS-11

Rendezvous and docking in orbit of another planet

Landing on and takeoff from planet with thin atmosphere

In this scheme additional probe missions (depending on the complexity of the deployment procedure) may qualify as alternate payload options for STS-2 and STS-3.

Some other recently demonstrated missions, like Hubble servicing or Mun landing with lander (and transfer craft, if included) launch and recovery with the shuttle might even qualify to the level of alternate STS-4 options, but that's a bit more complicated question.

Edited by Alchemist

@Alchemist I agree completely, the alternative payloads that I have done don't really highlight the performance of the shuttle, as it was the payload that completed the mission rather than the shuttle. They were no harder than sts-4, but only because I have done multiple mun landings already.

Kit

4 hours ago, Ourworldalpha1 said:

be creative LOL

About what I wanted to say. You can always design something, but for it to fit within the challenge there must be some kind of regulations. Station assembly and Duna outpost missions already give you plenty of freedom in this extent, that is require you to design the station with only some little constraints.

STS-2 and STS-3 may as well get the custom payload option, where you may design and launch your own payload (for which there are some specifications). In fact, there has already been at least one STS-2 entry with custom satellites. And then there can also be several "stock" options submitted by the participants to choose from if you don't design your own. The current payloads aren't only options, they are just one of the best there are.

On another note... a little teaser

95f950c553d8.png

The station grew more than twice the size, and that's without accounting for the spaceplane.

Edited by Alchemist

This has inspired me for my new Duna missions. I will conduct a fairly extensive pre-colonisation exploration of Duna and probably do most of it with shuttles for this challenge. Obviously I'll do the earlier missions first, but Duna is my goal - well, one of my goals; if the new shuttle-based infrastructure is successful enough I will probably use it to go other places as well.

I do need to ask though: although automatic ascent is disallowed (I feel safe to assume though that adjusting engine direction and centre of mass to get a minimal effort gravity turn is fine) would it be okay to use MechJeb's maneuver planner to automatically conduct rendezvous and interplanetary transfer maneuvers? And what about using MechJeb for automatic docking? I tend to design vessels so that RCS is balanced enough to dock manually but doing a lot of manual docking gets tedious (I'm not unwilling to do it if needed I just prefer to save time when possible).

Completed STS-4, pilot level though I did make a runway landing.  Both shuttles had a lot of fuel left, so it was really because I didn't have too much time and wanted to do it in one sitting.  The only problem I encountered is that the two shuttles don't actually dock at any angle other than back-to-back, because the flaps of the Mk2 docking port hit the cockpit of the other shuttle!

Here's a link to the album, because embedded albums have recently been formatting incorrectly for me (Imgur beta?) http://imgur.com/a/cLGlM

On 7/4/2016 at 4:10 AM, Speeding Mullet said:

The more I see this shuttle the more sold on it I am - not just because it's clearly proving itself worthy, but just because it's so unusual.  Have I awarded you the Skunkworks Badge yet?!  Anyway good work on the mission.  Your orbit was spot on, and despite narrow margins you made it back to the runway for a nice landing.  Have a badge Commander!

No, you didn't give me the Skunkworks badge, thank you for deeming my shuttle worthy of it, though!

On 7/8/2016 at 9:27 PM, Dermeister said:

I will build a space station eventually!

On 7/9/2016 at 2:07 AM, Dermeister said:

Made it to orbit :)

WOOT!  Well done @Dermeister.  I'd be happy to knock up the equivalent challenge badges for RSS entry should you wish to 1 or more of the STS missions and provide mission reports here.  Seeing as your shuttle clearly is capable of orbit all you have to do is document the whole trip to orbit and back in gallery or video format and you have your first badge :)

21 hours ago, Alchemist said:

However, there's also the question of engineering and piloting challenge progression. *Snip*

11 hours ago, Alchemist said:

About what I wanted to say. *Snip*

For @Ourworldalpha1 these posts are dead on to answer your question of whether you can submit payloads, or have other people design payloads etc etc.  I can see a window to open up STS-2 (with precedent in place already) to not use the designated comsat payload in lieu of designing one's own, and I will open up the challenge accordingly, but the requirements of the mission still have to be met (i.e. orbital parameters and spin stabilization etc).

STS-3 is slightly more complicated to open up, as part of the challenge lies in arranging the HST payload in the cargo bay effectively.  If I opened up this challenge to user created payloads then it's too easy to stick a FL-T400 in the bay and all it a "telescope".  I know of Cacteye and other part mods that allow you to actually have a working telescope, so I will allow these mods under stock entries for those that want to build a working telescope.

Otherwise I think the missions that are down are down, and enough people have completed them to a point that adding in missions mid sequence, renumbering, and forcing people to backdate would not only confuse people, but in an instant make the thread completely unrelated to the OP.  I am totally open to mission ideas for future STS numbered missions, but these will not only have to show adequate progression, but also make sense in the shuttle series of missions.

If anyone has ideas for future STS missions then please feel free to PM me with your idea.  No guarantees it will make it to the STS list, but that's my prerogative :wink:

11 hours ago, Alchemist said:

The station grew more than twice the size, and that's without accounting for the spaceplane.

Wow!  That's a decent size orbital platform in anyone's books, let alone one put there by a shuttle!

9 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

This has inspired me for my new Duna missions.

Welcome to the thread @eloquentJane!  Feel free to use the whole of MechJeb, as the whole MJ functionality is allowed :)  Automatic ascent and shuttle's don't tend to mix anyway, they are much better flown manually in my opinion.  Automatic landings are definitely troublesome.  I fly everything totally manually apart from using mj to set up burns, and to take care of repetitive maneuvers so find the balance that works for you and play the game the way you want to :)

Really glad this challenge has inspired you to use Shuttle's to create an exploration program based off of it and can't wait to see your shuttle!

8 hours ago, sdj64 said:

Completed STS-4, pilot level though I did make a runway landing.  Both shuttles had a lot of fuel left, so it was really because I didn't have too much time and wanted to do it in one sitting.  The only problem I encountered is that the two shuttles don't actually dock at any angle other than back-to-back, because the flaps of the Mk2 docking port hit the cockpit of the other shuttle!

Here's a link to the album, because embedded albums have recently been formatting incorrectly for me (Imgur beta?) http://imgur.com/a/cLGlM

Great work once again - the shuttles look good lined up like that so no issues there!  I haven't had any issues with Imgue embedding albums so I'm not sure what to say on that!  Here's your badge:   yCCnUU7.jpg

8 hours ago, sdj64 said:

No, you didn't give me the Skunkworks badge

Consider it given :cool:  km1jmmp.jpg

On 7/9/2016 at 0:48 AM, Ourworldalpha1 said:

The tank is successfully in orbit,Solar Flare forced the crew to land in the Desert for safety,or alternate landing site:cool:

Sorry I missed your gallery there!  Great work lifting the fuel pod to 280km.  You don't qualify for the leader-board, but this is still an amazing feat of engineering and piloting prowess.  It takes a lot of hard work to be able to design a shuttle capable of getting anything close to 42t to orbit so congratulations and have a badge:  et2p8E4.jpg

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet