Shuttle Challenge v3 - The 1.1.x STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly][11.10.2016 - CLOSED FOR REFURBISHMENT]

Thanks for the consideration!  I guess I've played enough KSP that there wasn't a whole lot new, although I enjoyed designing the habitation modules.  It's been a long time since I've done an asteroid capture, and never brought an asteroid into the atmosphere, so that'll be new.  I'll have to come up with a creative way to bring it back, and there'll probably be a few quicksave moments, since I have no idea what's going to happen with the CoM/CoL on re-entry.  Is it necessary to land with the asteroid still attached to the shuttle, or could I drop it on the KSC grounds and then land the shuttle separately?

Um....hmm.  I think I might have bit off more than I can chew here.  Is there a way to find out the mass of an asteroid *before* you fly all the way out to it?

jVLm7E8.png

Lol.  This pebble is 976.33 tons.  I went from 1700m/s dV left....to 67.  Am I allowed to send a second shuttle to help out?

JfKCfG8.png

If I had a measly 60 more m/s dV, I could make this work...

Edited by zolotiyeruki

Back after a month or so absence from this challenge.  I have made a new front-tank shuttle bigger and better than the last.  The Chevalier H2 now has 50% more liftoff thrust and a longer payload bay to transport big heavy payloads, like station modules, and also has nuclear OMS engines that will be useful for the upcoming missions to asteroids, Duna, and beyond.

Launching STS-5, the station core:  http://imgur.com/a/Exd17

kcEJ6lf.png

23 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

Lol.  This pebble is 976.33 tons.  I went from 1700m/s dV left....to 67.  Am I allowed to send a second shuttle to help out?

LOL - Unfortunately this is a one hit mission and there is no provision for a support launch.  Everyone I've seen so far has mined out the asteroid using ISRU to make it a more manageable task, and the challenge is in a big way about designing and lofting this payload as much as it is about landing a whopper potato.  Good luck with your next try :D

9 hours ago, sdj64 said:

Back after a month or so absence from this challenge.

Nice good to see you back around @sdj64 and with a new and improved design of the Chevalier to boot!  That first station core looks mint and can't wait to see the finished product.  The LV-Ns will definitely helps with the later missions!

42 minutes ago, biomecaman said:

Hello, is it ok to use Infernal robotics mod? specifically for a variable geometry wing?

Absolutely!  Your shuttle will be awarded in the modded section but that's why I added it in - specifically to see people come up with amazing (and crazy?) new ways to Shuttle!

Can't wait to see what you come up with :)

SM

Updated the album with STS-6.  This module is an extension of the core truss, plus a solar arm.  The solar arm has small science parts on the ends, so this is the first "science module" for the station according to the challenge.

http://imgur.com/a/Exd17

@zolotiyeruki Maybe you aren't moving fast enough?  Claws don't have magnets like docking ports do so you have to sort of stab the asteroid with the claw.  0.5 m/s or so will probably work but 0.1 sometimes bounces off.  Choose a point on the asteroid that looks flat so you get a good attachment.  If it's a bug, maybe also try going to space center and come back, or disarm and then arm the claw again.

4 hours ago, sdj64 said:

@zolotiyeruki Maybe you aren't moving fast enough?  Claws don't have magnets like docking ports do so you have to sort of stab the asteroid with the claw.  0.5 m/s or so will probably work but 0.1 sometimes bounces off.  Choose a point on the asteroid that looks flat so you get a good attachment.  If it's a bug, maybe also try going to space center and come back, or disarm and then arm the claw again.

I've tried everything from 0.5m/s to about 2m/s.  The craft actually augurs about 1m deep into the surface before it hits something and bounces back out.

On 9/1/2016 at 11:45 PM, zolotiyeruki said:

Grrr.  Now my claws won't grab on to the asteroid.  Anyone have any tips for getting the claw to work?

as @sdj64 says you sometimes have to take a bit of a running dive at the thing, although I've never had an issue really.  Sounds silly but have you tried other parts of the potato?  TRy that, and a little more speed and see if you can nab it!

On 9/2/2016 at 0:46 AM, sdj64 said:

Updated the album with STS-6.  This module is an extension of the core truss, plus a solar arm.  The solar arm has small science parts on the ends, so this is the first "science module" for the station according to the challenge.

The ET jettison never fails to amuse me on this one.  It's really effective, but you could see the NASA briefing where the design team tries to sell this way of doing it!  Anyway it works and I love the shuttle every time it get's an outing so keep going!  The second mission to deliver station parts looks like it ran really well and I can see you have the beginnings of a class space station there so I can't wait to see the finished product!

SM

Well, I'm back off holiday, and have finished STS-10 last night.

This was easy compared to STS-9 (potato wrangling). I had a contract to create a Remote Tech network for Duna, so that pretty much completely funded this mission. I also had a rescue contract from a low Ike orbit, (welcome aboard Seelee Kerman!) pop up as I was on the way to Duna. 

STS-10

I had a grand tour contract that I was going to try to complete with this shuttle (flyby of Duna, Ike, Mun, & Minmus), but didn't quite have enough Dv to do the necessary maneuvers after my way too efficient Kerbin aerobrake! This was my 1st night landing, and I won't be trying it again anytime soon.

STS-11 and 12 have already been launched, on an upgraded version of Voyager. STS-11 is 5 days out from Duna aerobrake, STS-12 will arrive in the Jool system in around 400 days.

Kit

Because I'm an idiot, I decided to throw away a perfectly good Saturn Shuttle and make a new one based on the NASA concept for a fully reusable booster/orbiter shuttle combination. So, I spent the better part of the evening balancing everything out to create an insane, piloted shuttle booster that piggy-backs the orbiter into space and then returns from its suborbital hop and lands at a runway. So... I just re-finished STS-1. I beat my previous orbital altitude of ~150km with ~175km. The maiden voyage of my shuttle fleet was performed by shuttle Sierra Nevada on booster plane Colorado. (The other orbiters are Appalachian and Rocky. My second booster is Mississippi.)

I used FMRS for the fly-back on STS-1 just to make sure that my setup of jet engines and delta wings could get the booster Colorado back to a KK Runway. I plan on using Stage Recovery going forward for speed of play. No need for badges again. Just wanted to say thanks for the challenge that keeps on giving.

SSTS-1 Mission Album

Mod List

Spoiler

Kerbal Engineer Redux

Kerbal Joint Reenforcement

Shuttle Payload Technologies

Stage Recovery

Trajectories

Tac Fuel Balancer

FMRS

HGR Redux

KRASH

KerbalKonstructs

KerbinSide

MarkIVSystem

Mk2Expansion

Mk3Expansion

KAS (For On Orbit Construction)

KIS  (For On Orbit Construction)

Chatterer (Because I get sad if I don't have it)

Um5naOo.png

Edited by Daelkyr
Got Booster Name Wrong :(

20 hours ago, Paranoid Shark said:

Well, I'm back off holiday, and have finished STS-10 last night.

This was easy compared to STS-9 (potato wrangling). I had a contract to create a Remote Tech network for Duna, so that pretty much completely funded this mission. I also had a rescue contract from a low Ike orbit, (welcome aboard Seelee Kerman!) pop up as I was on the way to Duna. 

STS-10

I had a grand tour contract that I was going to try to complete with this shuttle (flyby of Duna, Ike, Mun, & Minmus), but didn't quite have enough Dv to do the necessary maneuvers after my way too efficient Kerbin aerobrake! This was my 1st night landing, and I won't be trying it again anytime soon.

STS-11 and 12 have already been launched, on an upgraded version of Voyager. STS-11 is 5 days out from Duna aerobrake, STS-12 will arrive in the Jool system in around 400 days.

Kit

Nice!  Hope you had a cracking holiday :)  Good to see you back doing missions with your (highly capable) shuttle.  I have to admit I haven't completed any further missions than the potato landing one so I can't comment on how easy it is.  It's probably more a test of navigation and range (and intense aerobrakes) than anything else so interesting feedback.  I one shotted the asteroid mission so I found that to be relatively easy apart from reading up on exactly how to intercept an asteroid and put that into practice.  I think you may find the next mission slightly more difficult but interested in your feedback!

Another great mission report, really nicely organised and detailed all the relevant steps.  Setting up an RT network was an added bonus there so well done!  Here's your very well earned badge:   Q4pOeUT.jpg

18 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

I wrassled a spud down to Kerbin yesterday.  Still need to post pics.  It took a LOT of aerobraking passes.  And I opted to forget trying to bring in a Class-E, and just go with a Class B instead.

Haha, the class E remains elusive.  Look forward to seeing the mission report and congrats on landing the roid!

3 hours ago, Daelkyr said:

Because I'm an idiot, I decided to throw away a perfectly good Saturn Shuttle and make a new one based on the NASA concept for a fully reusable booster/orbiter shuttle combination. So, I spent the better part of the evening balancing everything out to create an insane, piloted shuttle booster that piggy-backs the orbiter into space and then returns from its suborbital hop and lands at a runway. So... I just re-finished STS-1. I beat my previous orbital altitude of ~150km with ~175km. The maiden voyage of my shuttle fleet was performed by shuttle Sierra Nevada on booster plane Colorado. (The other orbiters are Appalachian and Rocky. My second booster is Mississippi.)

I used FMRS for the fly-back on STS-1 just to make sure that my setup of jet engines and delta wings could get the booster Colorado back to a KK Runway. I plan on using Stage Recovery going forward for speed of play. No need for badges again. Just wanted to say thanks for the challenge that keeps on giving.

SSTS-1 Mission Album

Mod List

Reveal hidden contents

Kerbal Engineer Redux

Kerbal Joint Reenforcement

Shuttle Payload Technologies

Stage Recovery

Trajectories

Tac Fuel Balancer

FMRS

HGR Redux

KRASH

KerbalKonstructs

KerbinSide

MarkIVSystem

Mk2Expansion

Mk3Expansion

KAS (For On Orbit Construction)

KIS  (For On Orbit Construction)

Chatterer (Because I get sad if I don't have it)

*image snip*

Oh but I insist:   sdeeGOl.jpg

Awesome work on developing an entirely new shuttle.  I know that @Alchemist will be interested in this one having built a shuttle that get's to orbit using a shuttle also :)  I've been toying around with the Mk-massive space plane parts but haven't come up with anything really useful yet, so this is a good demonstrator!  One day I'll get more time to manage this challenge and play all the games I like to play including KSP plus doing all the other things (not because they are easy..) and come up with something that makes good use of these parts.

Thanks for the thanks on the challenge, it's a joy to maintain and expand on, and will certainly continue through the 1.2 release and beyond!  May even make TOTM one day :)

EDIT:  @Daelkyr I've just updated the OP for you!

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet

SSTS-2 has completed its mission to put the KEOsat1 constellation in keosynchronous orbit around Kerbin. Using an ET+, Shuttle Appalachian was able to reach a ~375km orbit after its orbital piggyback from Booster Mississippi. Once on orbit, the crew of SSTS-2 launched KEOsat1-1 and 1-2 and then spent nearly two days in space performing experiments. After the mission was completed, the first return from high orbit was performed (and it was a screamer!!!) The shuttle and crew came through unharmed at KSC.

Mission Album

Once again, what a blast. In simulations, I was flopping everywhere, until I realized that putting the satellite sub-assembly into the cargo bay backwards and throwing off the center of mass. Now I have an un-fueled save of my shuttle listed as Shuttle Orbiter (Empty) for payload checks for return from orbit flight. :D

Hey,

I have a 400 day wait till STS-12 arrives at Jool, and a 1 year and 20 day wait until the departure window for STS-11 returning from Duna, so I decided to tackle the monster Ore Pod. 

I wanted to only use hardware that I had already designed, to stop me from just building something way too big. The Orbiter (Voyager) is the same design as the one that orbited Duna, apart from the single tail fin has been duplicated and moved onto the wings. The ET & SRB's are the same setup as the one that launched Voyager II to land on Duna, just there are two sets of them.

STS-2b

Modular building is so nice when it works! 

Kit

Edited by Paranoid Shark

@zolotiyeruki,

I imagine that you will have to run both missions , as only 1a and 1b are designed to be potentially ran together. Also one of the key skills that is being tested in STS-11 is the ability of your shuttle is to be able to aerobrake into an orbit that you can easily rendezvous with your station.

I just had a look at your STS-9 album and it looks like imgur has muddled the order up again. Also I could not see any screenshot that showed how much your asteroid weighed when landed. @Speeding Mullet will need that to put you on the leaderboard!

On 9/10/2016 at 8:00 PM, Paranoid Shark said:

@zolotiyeruki,

I imagine that you will have to run both missions , as only 1a and 1b are designed to be potentially ran together. Also one of the key skills that is being tested in STS-11 is the ability of your shuttle is to be able to aerobrake into an orbit that you can easily rendezvous with your station.

I just had a look at your STS-9 album and it looks like imgur has muddled the order up again. Also I could not see any screenshot that showed how much your asteroid weighed when landed. @Speeding Mullet will need that to put you on the leaderboard!

The asteroid was just over 19T, although you're right--I didn't get a screenshot specifically of that.

Oh, fer heaven's sake.  I *know* I rearranged all those pictures to be in order.  Darn you, imgur!

EDIT:  I've rearranged (and captioned) all the pictures. Again.

EDIT #2:  If I can't do both missions with the same shuttle, can I send two shuttles during the same transfer window?

Edited by zolotiyeruki

On 9/9/2016 at 2:03 PM, Daelkyr said:

SSTS-2 has completed its mission to put the KEOsat1 constellation in keosynchronous orbit around Kerbin. Using an ET+, Shuttle Appalachian was able to reach a ~375km orbit after its orbital piggyback from Booster Mississippi. Once on orbit, the crew of SSTS-2 launched KEOsat1-1 and 1-2 and then spent nearly two days in space performing experiments. After the mission was completed, the first return from high orbit was performed (and it was a screamer!!!) The shuttle and crew came through unharmed at KSC.

Mission Album

Once again, what a blast. In simulations, I was flopping everywhere, until I realized that putting the satellite sub-assembly into the cargo bay backwards and throwing off the center of mass. Now I have an un-fueled save of my shuttle listed as Shuttle Orbiter (Empty) for payload checks for return from orbit flight. :D

Nice work on completing another mission with your new shuttle!  Sorry it's taken so long to get round to reviewing this - work has been heavy over the last week or so.  Here's a badge to keep you moving forwards :)   P83gnaC.jpg

On 9/10/2016 at 9:04 PM, Paranoid Shark said:

Hey,

I have a 400 day wait till STS-12 arrives at Jool, and a 1 year and 20 day wait until the departure window for STS-11 returning from Duna, so I decided to tackle the monster Ore Pod. 

I wanted to only use hardware that I had already designed, to stop me from just building something way too big. The Orbiter (Voyager) is the same design as the one that orbited Duna, apart from the single tail fin has been duplicated and moved onto the wings. The ET & SRB's are the same setup as the one that launched Voyager II to land on Duna, just there are two sets of them.

STS-2b

Modular building is so nice when it works! 

Kit

Wow ok so straight to the top of the modded leaderboard for the 168t ore pod.  there wasn't anyone on it but this is pretty much impossible to beat anyway.  Well done!   Vdrbae7.jpg I'll update the OP shortly :)

On 9/10/2016 at 11:34 PM, zolotiyeruki said:

Here's my potato retrieval:

http://imgur.com/a/4IgP2

Is it permissible to combine STS-10 and STS-11 into a single mission?  Arrive at Duna, leave the orbital outpost in place, land on Duna, then return home?

Lol it's always interesting to see people's tactics for landing the potato.  Good work on just getting it back to the ground to be honest - It is a really challenging mission to complete.  I'll mark your potato as 19t unless you can provide an accurate measurement?  I'll wait for you to come back to me before updating the OP..... cpvdNsy.jpg

On 9/11/2016 at 11:41 AM, zolotiyeruki said:

EDIT #2:  If I can't do both missions with the same shuttle, can I send two shuttles during the same transfer window?

You cannot do both missions with the same shuttle, but as long as the missions are effectively performed as per the challenge requirements then you are welcome to send both in the same transfer window to save time.  Please just make sure you report them as two distinct and separate missions (ie do not bundle the reports)

Thanks

SM

6 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Lol it's always interesting to see people's tactics for landing the potato.  Good work on just getting it back to the ground to be honest - It is a really challenging mission to complete.  I'll mark your potato as 19t unless you can provide an accurate measurement?  I'll wait for you to come back to me before updating the OP..... 

You cannot do both missions with the same shuttle, but as long as the missions are effectively performed as per the challenge requirements then you are welcome to send both in the same transfer window to save time.  Please just make sure you report them as two distinct and separate missions (ie do not bundle the reports)

Yeah, just mark it at an even 19T.  Thanks for clarifying the duna mission.

On 9/14/2016 at 1:11 AM, zolotiyeruki said:

Yeah, just mark it at an even 19T.  Thanks for clarifying the duna mission.

Cool will do!  No worries :)

1 hour ago, awfulhumanbeing said:

Hi guys. 

Is there going to be a mission using the new 1.2 comms system? Like, set a triangular geostationary relay system.

Hi there - Very good question.  1.2 is looking like a really meaty update, with changes to aerodynamics, as well as the introduction of the new comms system as you suggest.  There will certainly be new missions once the release is finalised and rolled out, but not until I've had a chance to play around with it and see where it all fits in to the missions we have already.  It seems that some missions may have a good opportunity to be de-designed around the new features that 1.2 is going to offer, and new missions certainly can make use too.  I'm not going to close the thread down and open a new one, as I don't think that favors either the players taking part, or the knowledge base that has developed here, so I'll be figuring out how to incorporate 1.2 moving forwards with this thread.

SM

Finished the station, STS 5-8!  The shuttle performed well but there are always opportunities for improvement.  It has the thrust to carry a bigger tank, which will be useful for the longer missions.  It also needs more LF for the nukes.  This will probably be my last mission in 1.1.3 and I'll wait for 1.2 to do the missions ahead, but I'll get to work designing payloads now!

http://imgur.com/a/Exd17 contains all 4 missions

6 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Hi there - Very good question.  1.2 is looking like a really meaty update, with changes to aerodynamics, as well as the introduction of the new comms system as you suggest.  There will certainly be new missions once the release is finalised and rolled out, but not until I've had a chance to play around with it and see where it all fits in to the missions we have already.  It seems that some missions may have a good opportunity to be de-designed around the new features that 1.2 is going to offer, and new missions certainly can make use too.  I'm not going to close the thread down and open a new one, as I don't think that favors either the players taking part, or the knowledge base that has developed here, so I'll be figuring out how to incorporate 1.2 moving forwards with this thread.

Thanks for your work running this challenge.  I'm looking forward to seeing the changes for 1.2!  STS-2 is an obvious fit for an update with new satellites that have relay dishes.  Maybe rewards for more satellites, or for functioning networks.  But there are obviously opportunities to run with the new features for entirely new missions.

Random question, looking ahead: is ISRU allowed on the Duna landing mission?