Shuttle Challenge v3 - The 1.1.x STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly][11.10.2016 - CLOSED FOR REFURBISHMENT]

18 hours ago, sdj64 said:

Finished the station, STS 5-8!  The shuttle performed well but there are always opportunities for improvement.  It has the thrust to carry a bigger tank, which will be useful for the longer missions.  It also needs more LF for the nukes.  This will probably be my last mission in 1.1.3 and I'll wait for 1.2 to do the missions ahead, but I'll get to work designing payloads now!

http://imgur.com/a/Exd17 contains all 4 missions

Egads that thing is a work of art!  Excellent mission report once again so thanks for all the detail.  If anyone needs an example of what looks good this is it :)

I'm pretty much holding off on anything apart from messing around until 1.2 comes out also - It's a really tasty looking release at this point.  Definitely going to be diving in with a fully stock (bar visual) career game to really test myself I think.  Here's your badge!   gDmEbjw.jpg

18 hours ago, sdj64 said:

Thanks for your work running this challenge.  I'm looking forward to seeing the changes for 1.2!  STS-2 is an obvious fit for an update with new satellites that have relay dishes.  Maybe rewards for more satellites, or for functioning networks.  But there are obviously opportunities to run with the new features for entirely new missions.

Random question, looking ahead: is ISRU allowed on the Duna landing mission?

No worries at all, it's a pleasure.  First time running a large challenge for me and it seems to be going well and maintaining interest.  Again I think a lot of people are waiting for 1.2 to drop formally so I reckon there will be an uptick in challenge entries once that comes along.  STS-2 will definitely be getting a make over, and I think STS 10 and 12 seem like good candidates also.

Random question answered by @michal.don by the way.  I tried it without ISRU and got back to orbit from Duna before my fuel ran out.  That was the indicator for me that it was a suitably hard challenge.  Speaking of hard, good luck with STS-9 :D

SM

Hey,

Here is STS-11. I was done with this a while ago, been too busy with other things to upload the pics. I had to do an EVA transfer at my Duna outpost as I forgot that it only had a senior port on it. Whoops!

The refueling rover/base was a slightly modified version of the base that I designed for the next mission. 

I received over 4.5 million credits for this mission, as I completed Explore Duna, Plant Flag on Duna, 4 Science contracts and 3 Grand tours with the flybys of Mun & Minmus at the end.

STS-11

STS-12 is completed as well, 172 days till the return window opens. 

Thanks,

Kit

Edited by Paranoid Shark

I'm back guys! But this time with a Buran style shuttle.

4uCfANG.jpg

I'm sorry if it looks like yours @sdj64, I did take a bit of inspiration from yours.

Anyways I spent the evening building this and flying it. I built it in the SPH, used the new debug menu to edit it into orbit. I added some winglets to the nose and re-entry was smooth. I didn't care about landing so I just aimed randomly and tried a water landing. I originally had Wheesely jet engines like your Buran but these didn't help me very much so I added Panthers afterwards. Since it flew so well, I immediately took it to VAB and fitted an external tank and two LFO strap-on boosters to it.

As with all Shuttles, I try to recreate the roll program that happens right after liftoff. I actually succeeded this time but I was spinning left and right for the rest of the ascent so that wasn't such a good idea. The new auto-strut feature helped a lot when building this. Since I have no interest in playing around with the seperatrons' angle and direction, I just added a flea booster on either side which worked fine. After I had drained most of the fuel in the main booster, it started to want to flip over. This was because the COM had moved out of the Vector engine's range and it could no longer compensate for the bad COM/COT alignment. I could solve this by angling the vectors slightly or trying to cope with it and use the vernor clusters I added on the nose to help with stability. Not sure if inigma's 40 ton fuel pod will work currently.

Anyway flew it into a very inclined 250km orbit thanks to that roll program after lift-off. I overshot way over to the continent east of the KSC. (I had no idea how to re-enter from a 250km orbit. :P ) I forgot to add an action group to the parachutes but with some pretty awesome piloting, if I do say so myself, I set it down on the ground lightly and hit the brakes. Pretty successful maiden voyage.

bxwrW1Q.png

(This picture is from testing)

soTFO4B.jpg

Anyway, on to the design. The Shuttle has a pretty standard profile. I put two vectors as secondary engines, the new and improved puff monopropellant engines along with 1000 units of monopropellant. I have the two panthers on top which really help with landing. Two drogue chutes to assist the landing but I forgot to assign an action group to them so they weren't used in the maiden voyage. As said previously, I added winglets to the nose to help with re-entry. I do not regret it. :D 

But as I have already completed the level where you just fly it to orbit and back, this doesn't apply. Therefore I am going to have to complete this on another level to get another badge. I do intend to try with Inigma's fuel pod but I must continue testing this until I can get it to orbit flawlessly.

Anyways that's it for now!

This sounds absolutely insane. Challenge accepted. Results soon.

Clarification question though. When it says we are required to use a Mk3 fuselage, do we HAVE to absolutely use one or is it just to make holding the parts easier?

Edit: Forgot, well you know, the picture. Here it is. Only shuttle I have really, so I don't really want to have to design another, which is why I'm asking. (more pics soon)

JMbSm1q.png

Edited by wrench-in-the-works
forgot the pics /facepalm

Hey,

STS-12 was a lot of fun. It really challenged me.

I wanted to run this with existing shuttle hardware that i had designed and the specialize the payloads. The mining base would refuel the shuttle so it could get back to orbit, but how to get it home....? 

With another shuttle of course!

The initial plan was for the 2nd shuttle to refuel at Bop or Pol and then head over to Laythe to refuel the other shuttle that would hopefully make it back to low Laythe orbit.

I then thoroughly nerd-sniped myself and turned a relatively simple refueling mission into the rest of a Jool5 attempt. A lander was designed for Tylo and Vall, Giant legs were found and fitted to the shuttle so it could land vertically on Bop or Pol. I then further complicated everything and decided that both shuttles would be launched at the same time, and I was going to do the Jool5 at Jebadiah's level so science experiments were stuck on every almost every lander.

What actually happened...

Part 1 (Takeoff, Transfer & Laythe Exploration)

Part 2 (The rest of Jool5)

Part 3 (Laythe rendezvous, Transfer to Kerbin & Landing)

This was my 1st visit to the Jool System and I will definitely be back soon. I wanted to land the Shuttle on Bop or Pol, but the miner had to refuel at both locations anyway, and I really didn't feel like making 2 extra landings (one in the shuttle and one more refueling trip) I may go back later to see it it was possible to land this design on Vall as well.

I only need to design a Tylo shuttle, and then hopefully a true shuttle Jool5 would be possible.

Looking forward to the next mission wherever it goes!

Ps. @sdj64 Can I have a Jool5 badge as well? The only mod that I used that isn't on your list is Shuttle Lifting Body.  My total science gathered was 13,016.

On 9/21/2016 at 2:46 AM, Paranoid Shark said:

Hey,

Here is STS-11. I was done with this a while ago, been too busy with other things to upload the pics. I had to do an EVA transfer at my Duna outpost as I forgot that it only had a senior port on it. Whoops!

The refueling rover/base was a slightly modified version of the base that I designed for the next mission. 

I received over 4.5 million credits for this mission, as I completed Explore Duna, Plant Flag on Duna, 4 Science contracts and 3 Grand tours with the flybys of Mun & Minmus at the end.

STS-11

STS-12 is completed as well, 172 days till the return window opens. 

Thanks,

Kit

Hey sorry for the delay in visiting this thread to pass out missions.  Got a new starter next week and wanted to make sure all was pleasant for their arrival.  Nothing like starting a new job where no-one has prepared for someone!

Great job with this mission report.  Your mining base seemed really well put together and the shuttle clearly performed admirably throughout the mission.  Have a badge with many many stars!   XKlYg8d.jpg

On 9/21/2016 at 11:35 AM, Firemetal said:

I'm back guys! But this time with a Buran style shuttle.

Nice, you've got the beginnings of a decent shuttle there!  Not sure about the SRBs on the boosters though? :D

Keep this in your pocket if you don't mind until 1.2 formally drops.  This challenge is currently only for 1.1.x, but will be going through a revamp to properly make sense with 1.2's new features.  In the meantime though keep working on it, but don't submit any new missions with your 1.2 build as you may find some changes coming!

On 9/23/2016 at 7:31 AM, wrench-in-the-works said:

It's a great set of challenges for sure!  Welcome to the thread :) .  The only insane thing is that shuttle!  Phew, it's a beauty!  To clarify on the Mk3 cargo bay, that is the minimum requirement for the suggested payload, but use whatever cargo bay you like.  Obviously you will be sitting in the modded category for you entry but that is all good, plenty are, and it really allows the expansion of some cool looking craft!  Can't wait to see this one competing, but if you are using 1.2 I would ask you to hold fire for the moment until the full release is done :)

10 hours ago, Paranoid Shark said:

Hey,

STS-12 was a lot of fun. It really challenged me.

I wanted to run this with existing shuttle hardware that i had designed and the specialize the payloads. The mining base would refuel the shuttle so it could get back to orbit, but how to get it home....? 

With another shuttle of course!

The initial plan was for the 2nd shuttle to refuel at Bop or Pol and then head over to Laythe to refuel the other shuttle that would hopefully make it back to low Laythe orbit.

I then thoroughly nerd-sniped myself and turned a relatively simple refueling mission into the rest of a Jool5 attempt. A lander was designed for Tylo and Vall, Giant legs were found and fitted to the shuttle so it could land vertically on Bop or Pol. I then further complicated everything and decided that both shuttles would be launched at the same time, and I was going to do the Jool5 at Jebadiah's level so science experiments were stuck on every almost every lander.

What actually happened...

Part 1 (Takeoff, Transfer & Laythe Exploration)

Part 2 (The rest of Jool5)

Part 3 (Laythe rendezvous, Transfer to Kerbin & Landing)

This was my 1st visit to the Jool System and I will definitely be back soon. I wanted to land the Shuttle on Bop or Pol, but the miner had to refuel at both locations anyway, and I really didn't feel like making 2 extra landings (one in the shuttle and one more refueling trip) I may go back later to see it it was possible to land this design on Vall as well.

I only need to design a Tylo shuttle, and then hopefully a true shuttle Jool5 would be possible.

Looking forward to the next mission wherever it goes!

Ps. @sdj64 Can I have a Jool5 badge as well? The only mod that I used that isn't on your list is Shuttle Lifting Body.  My total science gathered was 13,016.

Right, give me a half hour to digest this mission report.....Awwwwww look at the wee little exploration aircraft!!!!  That's so good I think I'm going to award you the Skunkworks badge in recognition of excellent design, along with your dual shuttle, and mining rig.   km1jmmp.jpg

For the rest of your mission, wow, a full Jool epic, that's really something.  I'd love to see you try the full shuttle Jool 5 for sure.  Take the badge good sir!   fVO5IUM.jpg

Also - Nerd-sniped.  That's just brilliant :D

SM

1 hour ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Nice, you've got the beginnings of a decent shuttle there!  Not sure about the SRBs on the boosters though? :D

Keep this in your pocket if you don't mind until 1.2 formally drops.  This challenge is currently only for 1.1.x, but will be going through a revamp to properly make sense with 1.2's new features.  In the meantime though keep working on it, but don't submit any new missions with your 1.2 build as you may find some changes coming!

I used those SRBs to push away boosters. In the end I just added seperatrons.

I added 2 more boosters as I remembered the Energia actually had and added fuel to the main booster. And don't worry. I'm not going to submit any missions yet. :) 

Thanks!

My shuttle is shorter than most and unable to complete most of the lifting challenges, but I've done the orbit and ksc landing and build a space station ones. Geostationary sats will be a launch soon and I'll incorporate some more goals into my missions.  

All stock craft files on curse link in videos. Uses solid rocket boosters, monopropellent oms, and can do around 150km x 150km orbit with around 10 tons. 

On 9/24/2016 at 3:04 PM, Westi29 said:

My shuttle is shorter than most and unable to complete most of the lifting challenges, but I've done the orbit and ksc landing and build a space station ones. Geostationary sats will be a launch soon and I'll incorporate some more goals into my missions.  

All stock craft files on curse link in videos. Uses solid rocket boosters, monopropellent oms, and can do around 150km x 150km orbit with around 10 tons. 

Ah cool I was hoping to see you pop up in this challenge!  I've already watched the first few videos which definitely prove your shuttle not only highly capable, but also a dream to fly.  Very happy to reward you with your first badge!   sE1QW9Q.jpg

I'll hold fire to award the space station missions as the challenge is designed to be run in mission order.  However when you reach the relevant missions I'll review the rest of the station build missions and award as required!  Good luck with the other challenges.  Seeing as 1.2 is about to drop you might want to wait for a week or so to see how this challenge might change - the Geo sats mission in particular will be revamped.

Cheers

SM

On 9/22/2016 at 5:31 PM, wrench-in-the-works said:

Clarification question though. When it says we are required to use a Mk3 fuselage, do we HAVE to absolutely use one or is it just to make holding the parts easier?

Edit: Forgot, well you know, the picture. Here it is. Only shuttle I have really, so I don't really want to have to design another, which is why I'm asking. (more pics soon)

JMbSm1q.png

PC got fried due to power surge, I'll have to get back to this later. I'll put up results as soon as I get the replacement parts.

nBUEaSh.jpg

Hi ! This is my entry for the STS challenge 1b, the orbiter "Robor". My plan was to do both 1a and 1b in the same time, but I was too greedy and didn't had enough fuel for a precise landing (to go higher than @Naito :) ), so mission 1a will follow. The craft, orbiter + rocket, is stock (in 1.2 pre-release) and weighs 645,381kg, with 74,2% of Lf+Ox and 0,62% of mono-propellant. KER says it has 5165m/s delta v in vacuum, which is more like 4900-5000 because of the atmosphere.

I reached an 2200km by 2200km orbit. My goal was to reach a geostationary orbit at 2868,75km, but I was really low on fuel. Imgur album : http://imgur.com/a/iYULX

Edited by Andiron

Here's STS 1A and 1B (i can do those at the same time right?) http://imgur.com/gallery/c5PfM (ps this is still 1.1.3 because the people who run opt don't update very fast)

PBAUyff.png

EDIT: mod list because i'm not smart.

Spoiler
  • OPT Spaceplane parts (shuttle body)
  • B9 Aerospace (struts and the one random rcs block on the back that i dont feel like removing)
  • SpaceY/SpaceY Expanded (boosters, booster separation, OMS/RCS engines and launch clamps)

pps: launch badge(s) courtesy of http://patchcreator.interstellarmovie.net/ 

Edited by wrench-in-the-works
EVERY TIME, I ALWAYS FORGET SOMETHING

Really sorry for the delay and for not checking in with this forum.  I've been away for a few days on holiday largely out of range of any possible internet connection, and at points quite deep underground.  Mystery? :)

On 9/27/2016 at 8:47 PM, Andiron said:

Hi ! This is my entry for the STS challenge 1b, the orbiter "Robor". My plan was to do both 1a and 1b in the same time, but I was too greedy and didn't had enough fuel for a precise landing (to go higher than @Naito :) ), so mission 1a will follow. The craft, orbiter + rocket, is stock (in 1.2 pre-release) and weighs 645,381kg, with 74,2% of Lf+Ox and 0,62% of mono-propellant. KER says it has 5165m/s delta v in vacuum, which is more like 4900-5000 because of the atmosphere.

I reached an 2200km by 2200 km orbit. My goal was to reach a geostationary orbit at 2868,75km, but I was really low on fuel. Imgur album : http://imgur.com/a/iYULX

Ahha! A new entrant - welcome to the challenge!  Very unusual shuttle design you have there.  I presume at this stage a stock entry?  If so I like what you did with the fuel tanks to give a checkerboard effect :).  I'll have to update the leader-board shortly, but in the mean time here are your badges for your first run, and I look forward to seeing more from this obviously capable shuttle!   et2p8E4.jpgRvs3vgQ.jpg.

Annnd here's your badge for successfully graduating to commander level.  May all your landings be runway bound  sE1QW9Q.jpg .

On 9/30/2016 at 7:59 AM, wrench-in-the-works said:

Here's STS 1A and 1B (i can do those at the same time right?) http://imgur.com/gallery/c5PfM (ps this is still 1.1.3 because the people who run opt don't update very fast)

*Image Snip*

EDIT: mod list because i'm not smart.

Reveal hidden contents
  • OPT Spaceplane parts (shuttle body)
  • B9 Aerospace (struts and the one random rcs block on the back that i dont feel like removing)
  • SpaceY/SpaceY Expanded (boosters, booster separation, OMS/RCS engines and launch clamps)

pps: launch badge(s) courtesy of http://patchcreator.interstellarmovie.net/ 

That's a mega beast of a shuttle!  Welcome to the challenge.  Of course you are welcome to do 1A and 1B together.  Also you can do 2A and 2B together if you are feeling daring!  Anyway, apart from the touch and go re-entry (more balancing required?) you ran an excellent mission, and are thoroughly deserving of your two badges pilot!   7RNmgnC.jpgsdeeGOl.jpg

Looks like I'll be updating the leaderboard shortly!

Sorry again for the delay all!

SM

I'm back (already) with STS-2A and 2B! (they're separate because Artemis's cargo bay is big but it's not a TARDIS I mean come on.)

Awkwardly rotated poster from STS-2A here:

Spoiler

QFnGu6V.png

Album for STS-2A here http://imgur.com/a/YVQzn

Now for STS-2B apparently I forgot to take pictures of the several hour struggle of final circularization, and the important bit of pLACING THE ORE SATELLITE (don't ask me how I forgot that it's a pretty important step) so while I'll dump the album here I realize it probably won't be accepted. http://imgur.com/a/KuXaR

c3f8cDF.png

I am back again! This time with a somewhat unique shuttle. o_O

Well not very unique. There has been some discussion on Shuttles vs SSTOs. Basically, if you have one, an SSTO, it's better because you can recover the whole thing. As much as I would like to agree, (I love SSTOs :P ) I cannot.

"But Firemetal," you say to me. " you brilliant Einstein, what do you mean by this?"

I mean dropping a shuttle on a 600 ton spaceplane. :P

Basically an aircraft launched shuttle. I know, I know. It has been done already. But who cares? I wanted to try it anyways.

Anyway the shuttle itself works like a dream. The Carrier keeps either stalling on re-entry or lawn darting so I'm pointing prograde and my nose blows up. Yes the carrier needs work but the Shuttle works! It is half done already!

Anyways that's what I've been working on. Pics soon if I manage to get this carrier to work.

Fire

On 10/5/2016 at 11:14 AM, wrench-in-the-works said:

I'm back (already) with STS-2A and 2B! (they're separate because Artemis's cargo bay is big but it's not a TARDIS I mean come on.)

Awkwardly rotated poster from STS-2A here:

Reveal hidden contents

QFnGu6V.png

Album for STS-2A here http://imgur.com/a/YVQzn

Now for STS-2B apparently I forgot to take pictures of the several hour struggle of final circularization, and the important bit of pLACING THE ORE SATELLITE (don't ask me how I forgot that it's a pretty important step) so while I'll dump the album here I realize it probably won't be accepted. http://imgur.com/a/KuXaR

*image snip*

I like your style with the individual badges for each mission - must take a while to produce so extra imaginary points for effort there!  It truly is a massive shuttle, but clearly still has a few development issues to iron out, particularly with those engines which seem to be pretty liable to falling off!  Anyway, its refreshing to see a shuttle so large it destroys the runway, so again extra style points there!  Here's a badge!   P83gnaC.jpg

With regards STS-2B I'm afraid I have to take the rule that I take with everyone else, which is "pictures or it didn't happen".  I'm confident you have completed the mission, but no bending the rules I'm afraid :(  You can re-run soon if you would like, but it's not mandatory to move on with the missions....

On 10/9/2016 at 11:55 AM, Firemetal said:

I am back again! This time with a somewhat unique shuttle. o_O

Well not very unique. There has been some discussion on Shuttles vs SSTOs. Basically, if you have one, an SSTO, it's better because you can recover the whole thing. As much as I would like to agree, (I love SSTOs :P ) I cannot.

"But Firemetal," you say to me. " you brilliant Einstein, what do you mean by this?"

I mean dropping a shuttle on a 600 ton spaceplane. :P

Basically an aircraft launched shuttle. I know, I know. It has been done already. But who cares? I wanted to try it anyways.

Anyway the shuttle itself works like a dream. The Carrier keeps either stalling on re-entry or lawn darting so I'm pointing prograde and my nose blows up. Yes the carrier needs work but the Shuttle works! It is half done already!

Anyways that's what I've been working on. Pics soon if I manage to get this carrier to work.

Fire

Haha, yeah the Shuttle lofted to space but the SSTO is the ultimate in your face to the SSTO itself.  I mean if the SSTO can get there, then why not just get the SSTO to do the entire mission right?  But alas, no SSTO challenge is this so winged orbiters have to step up to the plate!

Looking forward to seeing if you manage to do this.  I still can't design an effective SSTO, let alone one that can loft a Shuttle and it's payload!

Anyway folk, that's all for the moment, and again thanks very much for the patience!  I will be making a small announcement on the thread soon so stay tuned!

SM

ANNOUNCEMENT - THREAD CLOSED FOR REFURBISHMENT

It's been an amazing run with this thread, but with the pending release of 1.2 it's time to take a fresh look at the future of this very special set of challenges.  All the new features being introduced provide an ideal opportunity to temporarily close the doors on the Shuttle Challenge, sweep out the cobwebs, and generally make this challenge fit for the 1.2 epoch to follow.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say thanks to all the participants, advice givers, rule benders, architects, engineers, and taggers-along that have made this challenge what it is.  Rest assured we will be back in business soontm

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet