Speeding Mullet

Shuttle Challenge v3 - The 1.1.x STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly][11.10.2016 - CLOSED FOR REFURBISHMENT]

Recommended Posts

Just now, Speeding Mullet said:

flying ability went wrong

Well it certainly did, but the quicksaves sort of recalculate the physics, and that can result in an awful accident, get you in a stall or break the craft entirely.

The quicksaves also disable the physics for like a second, and everything is on rails, as if you were in time warp, with only difference that time is not warped. During that, the craft can freely go underground, and break because of suddenly appearing collision meshes. I am not that good of a pilot though, and the re-entry angle was messed up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, awfulhumanbeing said:

get you in a stall

Ahhh!  That explains quite nicely why my perfectly working Buran used to completely crap out on loading in-atmosphere quick saves :)

Also - We made it to page 10 people wooot!

SM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if an airplane could be considered a carrier vehicle. A crazy idea got in my head - a Spiral!

The Spiral is a soviet a soviet spaceplane. It has a detachable rocket on it for getting into space, as well as its own engines for OMS. The plane and the rocket are lifted by an airplane.

BTW, any good Mk3-extension mods?

Edited by awfulhumanbeing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, awfulhumanbeing said:

I wonder if an airplane could be considered a carrier vehicle.

Yep there's precedent for this.  Behold the mighty Space Husstle and Mained Duck by @Evanitis.  As long as the whole thing conforms to the rules there's nothing in there against launching horizontally, hence this exploited loop hole.  Go for it!

11 minutes ago, awfulhumanbeing said:

BTW, any good Mk3-extension mods?

I'm using B9, Mk2 stockalike expansions, Prakasa Aeroworks, Stock Extension, Tweakscale all of which may or may not help with Mk3 parts.

There is also Mk3 Hypersonic Expansion, Mk3 Mini Expansion, Mk3 Pod IVA replacement, Mk3 Stockalike expansion all available on CKAN, and I'm sure more than I'm listing if you look through!

SM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Speeding Mullet Medium gear worked much better. Just trying STS-2 now. I can't seem to de-power my shuttle in the correct way though! When you have a light payload where do you remove fuel from first? For STS-1 my shuttle has a full ET and full SRB's that are limited to 75%.

Have other people been having problems with the shuttle draining fuel from the comsats as well? It seems like it is because there is the fuel lines running from the comsat to the housing.

Can I do a slight redesign of the comsats so they can be the start of my interplanetary relay? I was going to add 2 1000ec batteries, replace 4 of the static panels with 1x6's and add 2 RT antennas. 

Thanks

Kit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paranoid Shark said:

@Speeding Mullet Medium gear worked much better. Just trying STS-2 now. I can't seem to de-power my shuttle in the correct way though! When you have a light payload where do you remove fuel from first? For STS-1 my shuttle has a full ET and full SRB's that are limited to 75%.

Have other people been having problems with the shuttle draining fuel from the comsats as well? It seems like it is because there is the fuel lines running from the comsat to the housing.

Can I do a slight redesign of the comsats so they can be the start of my interplanetary relay? I was going to add 2 1000ec batteries, replace 4 of the static panels with 1x6's and add 2 RT antennas. 

Thanks

Kit

Cool yep the medium gear is an option!  De-powering (or taking fuel out) is best done in the boosters in my experience.  If you find that a lighter carrier vehicle is flipping you shuttle down due to being lighter than it was you can de-throttle the boosters, or increase the throttle on the shuttle engines.  Or just add weight :)

I didn't have any issues with the shuttle draining fuel from the comsats, but feel free to edit the fuel lines or assembly to get it working the way you like.  I'm not sure if the package has been updated in a while so it may have changed the way it works slightly loading it into 1.1.2.

Also yes feel free to redesign the comsats to fit in with your RT array!

SM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winglets in the nose? That's a dirty trick. :D I'll definitely try it though if all else fails. Here is my last shuttle. I built it after taking a long break from shuttles. (rage!!!!)

I had a few previous shuttles, some that even got into orbit but they all stalled horribly and crashed. I decided to come back since I downloaded hyper-edit and could hyper-edit it into orbit to test re-entry. I kept tweaking the wing position until it didn't stall in or after re-entry. But unfortunately the COL was too far back and I crash landed but the Kerbals walked away from it so it was a good flight. That was just a warm up. I'm still working on the real thing.

I have never landed a spaceplane before. That means I'm probably going to go for a pilot award. But first I need to learn how to glide. :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

Winglets in the nose? That's a dirty trick. :D I'll definitely try it though if all else fails. Here is my last shuttle. I built it after taking a long break from shuttles. (rage!!!!)

*Gallery Snip*

I had a few previous shuttles, some that even got into orbit but they all stalled horribly and crashed. I decided to come back since I downloaded hyper-edit and could hyper-edit it into orbit to test re-entry. I kept tweaking the wing position until it didn't stall in or after re-entry. But unfortunately the COL was too far back and I crash landed but the Kerbals walked away from it so it was a good flight. That was just a warm up. I'm still working on the real thing.

I have never landed a spaceplane before. That means I'm probably going to go for a pilot award. But first I need to learn how to glide. :P

 

Awesome, looks like you are well on your way to being able to qualify for the pilots badge.  Just need to get that best landing ever tweaked a little :wink:.  Oh yes, I noticed that you are suffering from the grand spinning shuttle when you are hauling ass on minimal fuel in the external tank.  I have a good tip for you in my Buran thread.  Credit where credit is due @FCISuperGuy tipped me off on this one but if you follow the fuel line routing tip here and here then you can actually keep your COM much higher during your ET fuel burn which helps MASSIVELY with the stability of your launches.  It was a total revelation when I designed it into my Buran.  It's not a panacea, but it will help a lot!  OK OK Anti-gravity fuel and winglets in the nose both dirty tricks I know, but you work the loopholes with these shuttles!

 

6 minutes ago, awfulhumanbeing said:

Aircraft launched shuttle to the Mun!

Very hard to pilot, I recommend to improve it yourself. Use RCS for final deorbit!

*Gallery Snip*

Fully reusable, except for SRB's.

Mods: MechJeb 2

Craft: https://kerbalx.com/awfulhumanbeing/K-2

Haha good work good work.  I suppose it does qualify, those boosters are attached radially right?!  I think, yes, here's your badge, now just do it with a Mk3 shuttle and the fuel pod :wink:

Rvs3vgQ.jpg

 

SM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Awesome, looks like you are well on your way to being able to qualify for the pilots badge.  Just need to get that best landing ever tweaked a little :wink:.  Oh yes, I noticed that you are suffering from the grand spinning shuttle when you are hauling ass on minimal fuel in the external tank.  I have a good tip for you in my Buran thread.  Credit where credit is due @FCISuperGuy tipped me off on this one but if you follow the fuel line routing tip here and here then you can actually keep your COM much higher during your ET fuel burn which helps MASSIVELY with the stability of your launches.  It was a total revelation when I designed it into my Buran.  It's not a panacea, but it will help a lot!  OK OK Anti-gravity fuel and winglets in the nose both dirty tricks I know, but you work the loopholes with these shuttles!

 

Haha good work good work.  I suppose it does qualify, those boosters are attached radially right?!  I think, yes, here's your badge, now just do it with a Mk3 shuttle and the fuel pod :wink:

Rvs3vgQ.jpg

 

SM

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it with this new shuttle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it with this new shuttle.

No problems.  Just be sure to route the fuel lines exactly as in the picture (top to bottom) otherwise I don't think it works.  Also I routed mine using cubic octagonal struts as it looked neater, but any small part that you can surface attach a fuel line to will work.  If you need any more help with it I can provide an in depth picture tutorial after work tomorrow.  Sleep calls, then unfortunately work!

 

SM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Speeding Mullet said:

No problems.  Just be sure to route the fuel lines exactly as in the picture (top to bottom) otherwise I don't think it works.  Also I routed mine using cubic octagonal struts as it looked neater, but any small part that you can surface attach a fuel line to will work.  If you need any more help with it I can provide an in depth picture tutorial after work tomorrow.  Sleep calls, then unfortunately work!

 

SM

Thanks again. I will definitely try it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Speeding Mullet said:

do it with a Mk3 shuttle and the fuel pod

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

I will try to get it landed on the Mun. Would a fuel pod landed with legs on the Mun count?

I know, it wouldn't. The telescope is probably going to be my LKO test of the "air"craft launched shuttle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm I'm having trouble flaring. I hold down the S key really hard but it just noses up to about -10 degrees. Anyone know a solution to this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Firemetal said:

Hmmm I'm having trouble flaring. I hold down the S key really hard but it just noses up to about -10 degrees. Anyone know a solution to this?

Try to move your CoL closer to the CoM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

News update: engineers at SuperDyne Industries are experiencing some issues with payload integration. Apparently, the mounting system for the STS-2 comsat payload is somehow producing lift inside the cargo bay and affecting liftoff stability. Looks like my STS-2 entry will be delayed... :(

1 hour ago, Firemetal said:

Hmmm I'm having trouble flaring. I hold down the S key really hard but it just noses up to about -10 degrees. Anyone know a solution to this?

Move your center of lift close (but still behind) the CoM. You will need to do many, many test flights to get the combination right at all weights due to a shifting CoM - trust me, what works for one weight configuration may not for another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, FCISuperGuy said:

News update: engineers at SuperDyne Industries are experiencing some issues with payload integration. Apparently, the mounting system for the STS-2 comsat payload is somehow producing lift inside the cargo bay and affecting liftoff stability. Looks like my STS-2 entry will be delayed... :(

Move your center of lift close (but still behind) the CoM. You will need to do many, many test flights to get the combination right at all weights due to a shifting CoM - trust me, what works for one weight configuration may not for another.

Thanks! This was actually what I was doing before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still got problems landing. How do I bring prograde vector to 90 degree vector? I always try to flare when my prograde vector is at the -30 degree mark on the navball. .-.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That moment when you launch your shuttle with a test payload of 36 tonnes and it flies all the way to a circular 9000+km orbit...... with 900m/s delta-v with the payload still attached.

*Determination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FCISuperGuy said:

Looks like my STS-2 entry will be delayed... :(

Whenever you are ready mate, we aren't going anywhere :)

 

6 hours ago, Firemetal said:

Still got problems landing. How do I bring prograde vector to 90 degree vector? I always try to flare when my prograde vector is at the -30 degree mark on the navball. .-.

I hear the AV-R8 winglets calling :D.  Basically it sounds like you don't have enough authority, or the balance is off in some way.  Post a few pictures into the thread and we should be able to get a clearer picture of what might be going on.  Alternatively share you craft file (if 1.1.2) and I can check out your shuttle when I get home tonight!

 

3 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

That moment when you launch your shuttle with a test payload of 36 tonnes and it flies all the way to a circular 9000+km orbit...... with 900m/s delta-v with the payload still attached.

*Determination.

Woot!  Go @SpaceplaneAddict!  Time for you to shifty up to the 42t beast me thinks!

 

Also on the second fuel pod challenge I'm settled between two basic ideas:

1)  How low can you circularise in orbit of Kerbol

2)  Identical to the first challenge, but 2 (yes 2) fuel pods for an "84t bonus fuel pod mission"

 

What does everyone think?  I'll also get round to wrapping up development on the next STS mission ready for the weekend.

SM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd personally like a mission identical to the first challenge but with an even heavier payload. Some ore tanks should do the trick, or perhaps an especially heavy spy observation(!) satellite with booster stage that needs to be placed in a high parking orbit... :) I can create one for you if you wish.

Edited by FCISuperGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My is the HST mission tough. I think I will have to use MJ, since I really suck at docking with Jr. nodes. The MMUs are really bulky and inconvenient. The roll is also really messed up on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I've never posted a craft file before so I need to find out how but when I do I'll post it! Hyper-edit is required since I haven't added external tank yet. I guess you could add the external tank but I'm lazy and I'm using Hyper-edit to simulate after getting into orbit and deploying payload.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my descent.

After the 30 degree dive, I wanted to bring my prograde vector up to horizon so I turned up slowly wobbling a lot and then the whole thing split apart! Maybe I'm not turning up slowly enough but I don't know how to turn up slower than that!

Edited by Firemetal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

Ok I've never posted a craft file before so I need to find out how but when I do I'll post it! Hyper-edit is required since I haven't added external tank yet. I guess you could add the external tank but I'm lazy and I'm using Hyper-edit to simulate after getting into orbit and deploying payload.

Thanks!

Just visit this website, sign up and upload your craft. Insert a description, pictures and give us a link!

Or you can use any file sharing service.

The craft files are [craftname].craft and are stored in Game folder/saves/save name/Ships/VAB or SPH, Depending on the craft.

For your orbiter splitting, try to strut it thoroughly, and check the CoL. It should be just about behind the CoM. 

Edited by awfulhumanbeing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.