Kerbalism mod compatibility?

Mr falcor

I am soon to start a fresh game on 1.1 I have recently downloaded MKS lite also Usi lifesupport for the first time.

I have discovered a mod called kerbalism that appears to be a semi/realistic overhaul  that I really want to try out, I was hoping for  feedback from other players in regards to the compatibility of kerbalism with other mods mainly USI lite and other mods by Roverdude.

Also any general discussion about the kerbalism mod ,what's it like? what are people's opinions of the mod? would also be welcome :-)

Edited by Mr falcor

Welcome to the forums (recently)!  Regarding compatibility the best place to find out would be the mod release thread itself.  The author seems to be very quick to respond and full of useful information.

There's also lots of general discussion going on in there including people's opinions of the mod one way or the other.  Personally I haven't yet tried it but it's big time on the tick list of things to install soon.

SM

14 hours ago, Mr falcor said:

Yeah think I will leave him a post thank you SM if you end up downloading the mod be sure to let me know what you think of it :-)

I have made patches to add support for Planetary Base systems and the Pathfinder mod.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ean0yz1w17snuu4/KerbalismFoxPatches1.2.7z?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d510f5hjbf66u3b/FoxPathfinderPatch%20-%20Delete%20when%20Kerbalism%20Support%20is%20added%21.7z?dl=0

Kerbalism changes the way power is produced and consumed. This means it is incompatible with almost everything by default. Every non-stock part that either produces, stores, or consumes power in any form will require a patch.

You'll find user-created patches for a lot of mods in the thread already, though.

I'd say at this point, given that Kerbalism out of the box has a conflict with the Community Resource Pack, that it's incompatible with anything that uses CRP - tho my understanding is that the author is sorting it.

I also have some of the same concerns as  @Streetwind , and also concerns on performance (tho that depends on how many bases you have, how complex they are, and also assumes the resource issue is sorted).

To be honest, for MKS I'd recommend either using USI-LS or (once updated) TAC-LS.

(Addendum)

After seeing in the Kerbalism thread what they are replacing the converter code with, I can say without a doubt that due to several things being ignored (core heat, efficiency bonuses, required resources, etc.) that it is fundamentally incompatible with MKS/UKS.

No knock against the mod at all, it's a nice piece of work - but the compromises made for (I assume) performance also have an impact on compatibility. 

Kerbalism is looking a lot like BTSM at this stage.  Nothing wrong with that, it's just not going to be compatible with mod spam.  If you want to use it you need to check what the author intends it to be compatible with and stick with those mods.

I'd agree.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with crafting your own sandbox, and the author has a very nice (and consolidated) vision.  Just that some aspects of that vision are driven by compromises that are not compatible with the differing set of compromises we made for stock.

BTSM was a fun ride, especially for mixing up the earlygame that some people find onerous (I don't, but I still enjoyed the challenge of something different).

Another "total conversion" style thing with a wholly different focus is definitely something I'm keeping on my radar. And I'm kind of keeping my fingers crossed he'll leverage Kopernicus for it... :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.