McKerbals Goes to the Mun! (A Munar Crusade)

spacebrick3

McKerbals Goes to the Mun

We all knew it was going to happen. McKerbals has restaurants all over the world, and once the space program started it was inevitable. They were bringing a restaurant (and an outdoor deck) to the Mun.

The first to go was the restaurant itself (unmanned for safety reasons). After several failed attempts involving RUD (Rapid Unplanned Disassembly) and RUDOL (Rapid Unplanned Destruction Of the Launchpad), and an estimated cost of 3,964,327, (luckily, McKerbals has an infinite supply of restaurants), it was ready to go.

knJLNBO.png

However, due to security reasons, it was not launched until the night. Ji5GbZV.png

After pushing it upwards for 5 kilometres, the Mainsails were lost and only the Rhinos remained. This was to be a "up-then-turn" launch, where there was no gravity turn due to the weight and instability of the restaurant.

FPc6pNv.png

The sun's rays, bending through the upper atmosphere, finally began to illuminate it.

6KlOF40.png

Once it was in space, it finally turned and began adding to the horizontal velocity.

ngIrmEC.png

And here it is, in orbit, with only a small kick from the transfer stage needed to circularise.

7YUEy4c.png

Next time: The deck goes to orbit!

The Deck Goes to Orbit

Now that the restaurant was residing safely in a 114x75 km orbit, it was time to bring up the outdoor deck. The first tests also had some trouble with the Launch Stability Enhancers (seriously, I had to put about 20 on to stop them from failing), with explosive results.

3atXHpz.png

However, after more were added it remained stable, and it was able to launch.

zjt5Drg.png

The Mainsails were dropped with no problems, and it continued upwards.

oDKXnHd.png

Due to the high drag, there was no gravity turn, and so it only began adding orbital velocity once it had cleared the atmosphere.

QxQBHhg.png

Finally, it made orbit, and even with a little fuel left because of a 20-ton weight difference between it and the restaurant.

nbP98ig.png

Next time: To the Mun!

To The Mun

Now that both pieces were in orbit, they needed to go to the Mun. However, both were in highly inclined orbits due to drag during the launch and general piloting incompetence. After waiting a few orbits, the Deck was sent off first. 

nyaSKCE.png

It soon exhausted the side tanks, but the Skipper was more than enough to finish the burn.

l4eSpQK.pngThe Restaurant was sent off next, after the Mun had lined up at its descending node.

Uw9JSR5.png

Only two hours after that, the Deck encountered the Mun at a high inclination, which all the pilots agree was totally to give it a better range of landing spaces, and not because of any mistakes during launch.

It braked, and still had fuel left in its tank for deorbiting.

Z6tv6yA.png

The Restaurant, encountering the Mun on the flip side of its orbit, came in at an even higher inclination, but was still able to keep fuel in its transfer stage after braking.

WPTsajr.png

Next time: Landing...

Landing on the Mun

The first to be landed was the Restaurant, for reasons that shall be explained later. However, during deorbit, a huge thrust offset angle was noticed that had appeared in the time between launch and landing. So, they deorbited it fully over the equator:

kbphCHm.pngAnd then began descending at no more than 100 m/s, at 1/15 throttle, because the SAS could keep it pointed retrograde at that low thrust.

vfTwKbz.png

The Kraken (me)  blessed it with infinite fuel at 100 km, because apparently it likes large unstable structures on the Mun.

7p2k1nC.pngHowever, at 25 km, a problem was noticed: The engines would not lift it as the gravity increased, but they couldn't increase thrust, or it would flip. So in a moment of pure frustration, the pilots did the only rational thing. They cut off the engines and let it fall... as I turned on Unbreakable Joints and No Crash Damage.

It hit the ground at 235 m/s, and, after bouncing around for a while, it settled to the ground upright.

hTYuABB.png

I decided to just accept that.

The Deck was chosen to land next, with a deorbit burn that would hopefully put it close to the Restaurant (they were on very different inclinations)

sIk0v1v.pngOnce the restaurant came into view, a suicide burn was made, but it was slightly delayed due to the weak SAS power it had. However, there were no problems with thrust offset this time. It then began falling at a leisurely 10 m/s.

1HBSfxF.png

After landing, the sky crane was jettisoned and was crashed into the terrain because Kerbals like explosions.

D3jB3D8.pngThe Deck had landed... 18 km away. But now the reason for it landing second becomes clear: it has wheels for the likely even of a un-precision landing.

uGZ4Pws.pngIt began the long drive over.

NFGeImI.png

As the restaurant came into view at the crest of a hill, it was like meeting an old friend.

JRyPAmU.pngFinally, the two were reunited.

lO6JPHE.pngNext time: Party time (with Kerbals!)

Edited by spacebrick3

The Kerbals Are Coming

Finally, it was time for the guests to arrive. Fourteen of them lifted off on a Mainsail-powered liquid fuel booster.

Wvq37M3.pngIt was the only ship able to complete a gravity turn, and soon made orbit.

wDCDZW2.png

As they lined up for the transfer burn, an eclipse of the Sun was visible.

15XvmgL.png

Then, using the transfer stage previously used for the Restaurant and Deck, (without the fuel lines since somebody forgot them), it fired towards the Mun.

NDWjb3Z.png

As it fell towards the Mun, fuel remained to put it in a stable, but slightly inclined, orbit.

pSo1xuS.pngIt completed the burn, and then deorbited with a little fuel. All the crew changed their names as well, after a dream where they all died because they didn't start the suicide burn soon enough, and no quick saves were available. After that, however, Jeb Kirfal managed to kill all the horizontal velocity almost directly over the Restaurant (sorry for the pitch-black shots)

rXPD6R8.png

With some small course corrections, they were able to set down less than 50 meters from the Restaurant.

POxTXAv.png

Once the Sun had finally deigned to shine on their side of the Mun, the celebrations began. Kirfal was the first to leave the lander.

qaQNyhK.png

All those who wished to eat inside were very happy with their meal choice.

2ebtabt.png

The Restaurant was a merry place.

TuyNaqx.png

But for those who wished to view the Munar landscape, the Deck, with its oversized heater and umbrellas, was the place to go.

qj0YCUQ.png

Thanks for reading!

Edited by spacebrick3

So, there hasn't been time or motivation for me to bring my restaurant anywhere else, but here are some pictures of a new deck (with drive-through) that I've been developing.

http://i.imgur.com/Ykd9CGe.png

It uses the inflatable heat shield as its umbrella, instead of the small Comunotron-88s.

http://i.imgur.com/qlDvtZC.png

And a drive-through, as requested.

http://i.imgur.com/08Xq0Iv.png

Edit: That's odd, the images aren't showing up.

Edited by spacebrick3

• 2 months later...

You know, you should land one on Eve for the poor Kerbals you stranded haven't yet returned from the surface!

Maybe you should design another variant of the buildings - maybe even build a small shopping district on the surface of some planets/moons! Now with Dollar Kerb and various other mini shops that need naming! Maybe even a 'gas station' - for the lander-crafts!

EDIT: Whoops - I didn't even know this was a few months old!

Edited by Astrofox

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.