1.1 wheels:

amankd

5 minutes ago, Alshain said:

True, though intake mechanics have made VTOL incredibly difficult to build now.

The big radial intakes, and others that peak at low speeds, which are bad for most other purposes, seem to work pretty well VTOLs. Of course, this saddles the plane with draggy intakes in level flight, but VTOLs are always compromises.  They sacrifice normal airplane flight optimization for their VTOL abilities.

17 minutes ago, regex said:

This got me to the Island Airbase:

wjGtEHs.png

Woah.. what the heck?  @Alshain's comment implies to me that there's been some significant change for intakes but uh.. this picture tells me that they no longer work without forward (relative to the intake) motion? :S

9 minutes ago, Renegrade said:

this picture tells me that they no longer work without forward (relative to the intake) motion? :S

For the most part.  I think the intake has a "suction" value which, combined with the directional vector, gives the intake potential (based on other things like area).  The top intakes are quite enough to get this off the ground but they fail once you start moving at speed.

On the matter of the biplane type fixed gear, I found some improvement by running a strut between the wheels.  Cuts down on flex and hence bounce.  That said, the small and medium gear often cause a spinoff with the slightest provocation.

5 hours ago, NikkyD said:

not sure what an " authority limiter" is but they would need reduced steering depending on the speed, like only 10% steering at 90% Vmax, this would avoid the full 30deg left turn with full speed causing a nice turnover

I think he was using the same term they used when they added authority limiters to control surfaces, ya pretty much a speed sensitive dampening system since all control inputs are digital.

Technically we should not even be using nose wheel steering at speeds where we have rudder authority. Depending on aircraft , you should not be using the nose wheel past where there is enough airflow across the rudder to allow it to provide yawing control. I am not sure if the game takes into account speed, or when you hit your yaw key the game just yanks the rudder AND the steering wheel full over.  There needs to be a settable cutoff speed on steerable wheels where nose wheel steering is no longer active when yawing and only rudder input takes over.

22 minutes ago, jedensuscg said:

I think he was using the same term they used when they added authority limiters to control surfaces, ya pretty much a speed sensitive dampening system since all control inputs are digital.

Technically we should not even be using nose wheel steering at speeds where we have rudder authority. Depending on aircraft , you should not be using the nose wheel past where there is enough airflow across the rudder to allow it to provide yawing control. I am not sure if the game takes into account speed, or when you hit your yaw key the game just yanks the rudder AND the steering wheel full over.  There needs to be a settable cutoff speed on steerable wheels where nose wheel steering is no longer active when yawing and only rudder input takes over.

It helps to reassign your steering first of all, so you can't yaw and steer at the same time accidentally.  Good for rovers too.  But in some cases even at slower speeds, the steering whips the plane around quite rapidly, and I use an analog on my HOTAS for that, not a keyboard.  I'd hate to see what a keyboard is like where it is all or nothing. 

A speed cutoff for steering would be a nice addition too.  I was thinking in the past there used to be a speed cutoff for steering though.  Try doing it in 1.0.5 at high speeds and steering won't kick in until you slow down.  That certainly doesn't seem to be the case in 1.1.  So this may be a bug.  Keep in mind testing this requires reassigning your steering, otherwise you can't tell if it's yaw or steering.

Edited by Alshain

Planes skit slowly across the runway with enabled breaks and minimal thrust from the jets, so powering up the jets without moving is no longer possible....

Edit: FYI, i just used the default landing gear so far and did not change any tweakables.

Edited by Octa

15 hours ago, regex said:

I'm literally, seriously wondering why everyone else is having all these issues.  I find the tier 1 runway neither game-breaking, unplayable, nor unusable.  The same goes for the LY-01 and LY-05 gear.  I find both eminently usable now that I understand and respect the fact that they have mass and impact tolerances you have to play to.  They will blow up/get damaged if you pass those limits, and I highly doubt that is going to change, although some of the limits might change a bit.

@Alshain is about the only person around here who gives detailed information about the issues they're having, everyone else is all "HURR GAEM BROKN".  I have nothing to say to Alshain's issues, and in fact agree that some tolerances should be increased, other than that I don't have to camber in the LY-05 wheels.

The runway is strictly a matter of opinion, but the first plane i built in 1.1, using those gear and the lightest parts possible, would literally flip itself over on the runway with no speed applied due to positive suspension feedback loop. Without taking mitigating steps (friction 0 and suspension off and inward camber) I've found it almost impossible to build a plane, no matter the parameters, that can run straight down the runway without turning into a fireball (misaligned wheel collider on small fixed gear is known issue.) None of the problems I've seen have anything to do with gear being overloaded or treated roughly, so I doubt most people's problem are impact and mass tolerances. And, the fact that you say you've had no problems is somewhat moot. Squad has acknowledged that the gear are in an interim state and have multiple problems.

On 4/27/2016 at 9:06 AM, Geschosskopf said:

Yeah, airplane landing gear is a totally different situation than rover wheels.  Personally, I haven't yet found a need to tweak the wheel settings for planes at all.

Oh really?

2 hours ago, g00bd0g said:

Oh really?

Lol, I had this happen just the other day.  No idea what was causing it, but I think it didn't like the lower wing or possibly that the landing gear was clipped through the lower wing.

I wanted to make an endless GIF of it, but I'm not good at doing that sort of thing.

Edited by Alshain

2 hours ago, g00bd0g said:

Oh really?

Y'know, I experienced something kinda weird like that the other day.  I was landing on Minmus with a tripod craft, and it just refused to stay on it's gear.  I kept on having to correct it.  It wasn't trim or anything either (I cleared trim several times, did not help, SAS was off, etc).  Stupid thing just kept on trying to fall over from an almost level surface.  I fought with it for a while, but then it stopped misbehaving of it's own accord and sat normally, and it did not repeat for any of the other landings.

It looked exactly like that too, like as if a gentle wind was slowly pushing it over.

The craft was built around the micro landing strut.

lol... This afternoon I destroyed an entire section of my Mk2 runway by hard-landing a 6-tons jet... Which is pretty light ! The plane bounced and I managed to land without a single part missing... But even early wooden-decked WWII carriers were stronger !

Looks like 1.1.1 made the LY-01 worse.  The wheel camber workaround no longer works nor does making them normally vertical.

Steering is still enabled at all speeds.

Stress tolerance on the LY-05 remains unchanged.

On the bright side the game hasn't crashed yet. *Knocks on wood*

Edited by Alshain

3 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Looks like 1.1.1 made the LY-01 worse.  The wheel camber workaround no longer works nor does making them normally vertical.

Yeah; I made a simple plane in my new hard game, and while it can land and take off on the t1 runway (or the *cough* much smoother surrounding terrain), it's got this absolutely terrifying death wobble happening with the LY-01s...

7 minutes ago, Renegrade said:

Yeah; I made a simple plane in my new hard game, and while it can land and take off on the t1 runway (or the *cough* much smoother surrounding terrain), it's got this absolutely terrifying death wobble happening with the LY-01s...

Looks like they tried to fix it and maybe went the wrong direction.  If you put even more camber on it, it seems to work ok.  At this point the wheels are seriously angled inward.  Two notches on the rotate tool with angle snap while holding shift. (previously only one notch)

My plane is having a tendency to veer off the runway now though.

zX3GLj0.png

Edited by Alshain

It seems like the suspension is much softer now, which is ... bad.

It's like someone is trying to compensate for ridiculous vertical speed on landing, like they're used to slamming planes around all day and can't land softly for some reason.  This makes the wheels wiggle around like mad for a bit on takeoff.

Edited by regex

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.