Stock Science Modules aren't Working

If I right click any of the stock science modules they don't seem to work. I can't right click them in the VAB and at launch I can't deploy or get science out them. For example when I right click the thermometer i can right click to see what temperature it is but the button to get science isn't there. This goes for all of the stock science. I have dmagic installed and those modules work, as well as tantares and blue dog design bureau. Those science modules work, the stock ones do not.

Here is a picture of my gamedata file and my logs are below it. Thank you in advanced for help

Player log https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9pm1i59c04ycoi/Player.log?dl=0

ksp log https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcybc65bdg6owx6/KSP.log?dl=0 N3ancai.png

I've been having exactly the same issue.

I can see that we have in common:

DMagic Orbital Science

KJR

EVE/SVE

ScanSAT

ModuleManager

Smokescreen

RealPlume

Nereid

Tweakscale

TriggerTech

But I've gone through and pulled those out and still have the issue.

This si really frustrating? Is it a stock bug? @DMagic @Beale @CobaltWolf I just wanted to draw some of your guys attention to this. I have read somewhere that the game doesn't like mulitiple sciencedef folders? Is it possible all of your sciencedef folders are conflicting? Even @Yemo I can't access the probe reports. When I use just probes. 

Edited by sp1989

10 minutes ago, sp1989 said:

This si really frustrating? Is it a stock bug? @DMagic @Beale @CobaltWolf I just wanted to draw some of your guys attention to this. I have read somewhere that the game doesn't like mulitiple sciencedef folders? Is it possible all of your sciencedef folders are conflicting? Even @Yemo I can't access the probe reports. When I use just probes. 

If it is a naming conflict, I don't think that will be the problem from me.

de7dece9ec.png

This sounds like the usual problem with duplicate experimentIDs being defined. @sp1989 It would be more helpful if you included logs where you tried to run the experiment. Your logs show you going into an editor and then backing out to the main menu before quitting without having done anything involving experiments...

You cannot have two experiments with the same IDs. You can have multiple sciencedefs folders. For experiments that BDB shares / sourced sciencedefs from (DMagic Magnetometer and FASA geiger counter) they are appended by 'BD_' and a MM patch converts the parts over to the original experiments if it detects them installed. There are no overlapping experimentIDs.

28 minutes ago, xEvilReeperx said:

This sounds like the usual problem with duplicate experimentIDs being defined. @sp1989 It would be more helpful if you included logs where you tried to run the experiment. Your logs show you going into an editor and then backing out to the main menu before quitting without having done anything involving experiments...

I tried to right click the experiments in the vab and I couldn't deploy or even toggle the UI in the Vab so I knew the problem was still persisting.

But I can get you a log from the launch pad

10 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

You cannot have two experiments with the same IDs. You can have multiple sciencedefs folders. For experiments that BDB shares / sourced sciencedefs from (DMagic Magnetometer and FASA geiger counter) they are appended by 'BD_' and a MM patch converts the parts over to the original experiments if it detects them installed. There are no overlapping experimentIDs.

So what do you think it could be then?

To be clear: Stock science parts don't work, BDB ones do? Do the BDB parts running using the stock experiment module (off the top of my head, the IR spectrometer and the Hydrometer) work? If it's the stock experiments that don't work, is the stock sciencedefs file still there?

My suggestion: Revalidate your files / do a fresh install, then add the mods back in and see what happens.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

To be clear: Stock science parts don't work, BDB ones do? Do the BDB parts running using the stock experiment module (off the top of my head, the IR spectrometer and the Hydrometer) work? If it's the stock experiments that don't work, is the stock sciencedefs file still there?

My suggestion: Revalidate your files / do a fresh install, then add the mods back in and see what happens.

Ok I will do that. Just fyi all of the experiments work except for the stock ones. Meaning the ones Installed ie Tantares, BDB, and dmagic they all work. Its the stock ones that dont do anything either in the VAB or at launch and beyond. 

4 minutes ago, sp1989 said:

Ok I will do that. Just fyi all of the experiments work except for the stock ones. Meaning the ones Installed ie Tantares, BDB, and dmagic they all work. Its the stock ones that dont do anything either in the VAB or at launch and beyond. 

Yeah sounds like you somehow don't have a stock sciencedefs file.

10 hours ago, sp1989 said:

Hm, UnmannedBeforeManned does not introduce or change ScienceDefs at all. All it does in terms of science experiments is using module manager statements to set the transmit value of simple stock experiments (eg thermometer) to 100%, so they can be used on non recoverable "sounding rockets".

So there should be no issues/interdependency problems at all coming from UbM.

As was already suggested, I would also recommend a clean redownload of KSP itself.

Ok sorry to bring you guys back into this but it seems that all of your science modules work in Sandbox mode but don't work in career mode. Also none of your science modules are working now for some strange reason. I reinstalled a fresh version of ksp. I installed basically the same mods from before and now it seems worse than before. Here is a pic of all the mods I have installed and my logs. @DMagic @Yemo @Beale @CobaltWolf

KSP Log https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcybc65bdg6owx6/KSP.log?dl=0

Player Log https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9pm1i59c04ycoi/Player.log?dl=0

Dfw68Rx.png

Just now, sp1989 said:

Ok sorry to bring you guys back into this but it seems that all of your science modules work in Sandbox mode but don't work in career mode. Also none of your science modules are working now for some strange reason. I reinstalled a fresh version of ksp. I installed basically the same mods from before and now it seems worse than before. Here is a pic of all the mods I have installed and my logs. @DMagic @Yemo @Beale @CobaltWolf

KSP Log https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcybc65bdg6owx6/KSP.log?dl=0

Player Log https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9pm1i59c04ycoi/Player.log?dl=0

Well, the obvious thing now would be to remove all those mods, add back in, say, DMagic, and test that. If it works, add in mods one at a time until it breaks. It does us no good to have several dozen mods installed without a starting point for where it actually worked. There is something going around that is breaking a lot of science mods right now. I'm really not sure what. I'd greatly appreciate if you looked into this further when you have time, methodically and incrementally.

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

Well, the obvious thing now would be to remove all those mods, add back in, say, DMagic, and test that. If it works, add in mods one at a time until it breaks. It does us no good to have several dozen mods installed without a starting point for where it actually worked. There is something going around that is breaking a lot of science mods right now. I'm really not sure what. I'd greatly appreciate if you looked into this further when you have time, methodically and incrementally.

No I have done that. I have taken each one out and installed them back one by one and the problem persists even when I install your mods individually. It seems @djnattyd has also done the same thing and is having the same issues I am having. 

Just now, sp1989 said:

No I have done that. I have taken each one out and installed them back one by one and the problem persists even when I install your mods individually. It seems @djnattyd has also done the same thing and is having the same issues I am having. 

So you're telling me that, say, if you install ONLY Bluedog Design Bureau and it's dependencies, start up the game, and go to use science, it doesn't work?

4 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

So you're telling me that, say, if you install ONLY Bluedog Design Bureau and it's dependencies, start up the game, and go to use science, it doesn't work?

I apologize, taking one out at a time and leaving the rest in BDB doesn't work. I will do it clean and install each one at a time.

Just now, sp1989 said:

I apologize, taking one out at a time and leaving the rest in BDB doesn't work. I will do it clean and install each one at a time.

Alright. Yes, make a clean install or clean the current one or whatever. Put it one of the mods that doesn't work, like BDB. Make sure that it works when ONLY stock, BDB, and DMSA is installed. Make sure that DMSA is the correct version as well.

Then start adding the mods one at a time. Install one mod, start up the game, and then test a science experiment. Keep doing that until it breaks. That is how you troubleshoot. Strip back to where it worked for sure, then reproduce making it break one step at a time.

Additionally, I see you're on mac. What version of KSP are you running? Anything else you think might be helpful info?

4 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Alright. Yes, make a clean install or clean the current one or whatever. Put it one of the mods that doesn't work, like BDB. Make sure that it works when ONLY stock, BDB, and DMSA is installed. Make sure that DMSA is the correct version as well.

Then start adding the mods one at a time. Install one mod, start up the game, and then test a science experiment. Keep doing that until it breaks. That is how you troubleshoot. Strip back to where it worked for sure, then reproduce making it break one step at a time.

Additionally, I see you're on mac. What version of KSP are you running? Anything else you think might be helpful info?

I'm running the most recent version of KSP 1.1

working on installing mods one by one as we speak. BDB is working perfect now it's trial and error i suppose.

Edited by sp1989

For some completely unknown reason, my game has started working fine again.

I did however reverify through and found that I was apparently missing 3 files. The odd bit is, the experiments (and game as a whole) were working perfectly all the way up to me leaving my initial post in this thread. Not only that but at no point was anything removed from any of the default folders so I dunno what has happened.

Even now, Steam seems to think one 20kb file is still missing every time I recheck it.

59 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Alright so it seems that the source of my problems are coming from Kerbalism (Fracking Bernie Kanders). I have see if its a feature of Kerbalism or if its conflicting. @ShotgunNinja Here are my logs with Kerbalism installed. Unless its a feature and maybe i should read more thoroughly. My game works perfect without Kerbalism uninstalled. 

KSP LOG https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcybc65bdg6owx6/KSP.log?dl=0

PLAYER LOG https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9pm1i59c04ycoi/Player.log?dl=0

Never mind!!! What a mind numbing waste of time on my part!!! Kerbalism needs an active antenna to work. That why I couldn't open the science modules!! Damn it! It's an awesome feature and I'm an idiot! Thank you all for your patience and help I am going to go do a walk of shame giphy.gif

29 minutes ago, sp1989 said:

Never mind!!! What a mind numbing waste of time on my part!!! Kerbalism needs an active antenna to work. That why I couldn't open the science modules!! Damn it! It's an awesome feature and I'm an idiot! Thank you all for your patience and help I am going to go do a walk of shame

Worst part is that I suspected Kerbalism the whole time but didn't want to say that since I don't know it and didn't want to just accuse it. :P It's a new mod, I knew it modified science in some way and its sudden release + popularity would explain the huge rush of science bug reports I've gotten in the last few days.

@Leandro Basi are you usings Kerbalism?

31 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Worst part is that I suspected Kerbalism the whole time but didn't want to say that since I don't know it and didn't want to just accuse it. :P It's a new mod, I knew it modified science in some way and its sudden release + popularity would explain the huge rush of science bug reports I've gotten in the last few days.

Was this your payback to me for posting all of the princess bride quotes and pictures on the BDB thread?

45 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

No

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.