The Battle Of The Denmark Strait Warship+Aircraft Pack (WIP, Several ways to help!)

So, i did the changes i was talking about. And here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6it33xi48t53jv/Spitfire%20PR.I%20mark%20F.zip?dl=0

I did have a version with decals on, but either Firespitter or Tweakscale broke my game so hard that i had to uninstall and reinstall my game.

But, i have included the Roundel textures so you can paste them in yourself.

dzfl9XW.jpg

uvKSGY4.png

10 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Is this the right battle map? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_Rheinuebung.svg

If it is, it looks like not much of it was very close to any land, so a fjord may not be needed.  If that's wrong, I'll continue the search.

While the battle was off the coast, the Bismarck and Prinz Eugen stopped to refuel in Norway on the way to the battle.

Swordfish WIP fuselage here. It's 80 parts already, so I may need to go over it and eliminate any uneeeded decorations.

LPtrlpE.jpg

EDIT: Got the wing struts and bracing wires done and removed a few cockpit instruments and the navigator's map table to save on part count. I'm a little stymied on the landing gear, as the stock gear is either too small or retractable, leaving rover wheels the only option I can think of. Does anyone know how rover wheels work with landing a slow moving biplane?

Xq2uDp5.jpg

Need to fix the tail too, it just looks ugly.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

On 28.4.2016 at 1:05 AM, pTrevTrevs said:

Swordfish WIP fuselage here. It's 80 parts already, so I may need to go over it and eliminate any uneeeded decorations.

LPtrlpE.jpg

EDIT: Got the wing struts and bracing wires done and removed a few cockpit instruments and the navigator's map table to save on part count. I'm a little stymied on the landing gear, as the stock gear is either too small or retractable, leaving rover wheels the only option I can think of. Does anyone know how rover wheels work with landing a slow moving biplane?

Xq2uDp5.jpg

Need to fix the tail too, it just looks ugly.

Well, it's looking pretty good if you ask me.

From my experience with rover wheels i can already say that they will just explode as soon as you hit the deck..

especially now that the wheels are even more brittle than before.

EgwP7NM.png

This one of the only two aircrafts where i have used that technique. What i ended up doing: was that i put small gears in the middle of those wheels to make it look like they would be touching the ground, but i don't know how that's going to work on a small bi-plane tough.

I believe you will also need some Arados for the Bismark and some Walruses for: the Prince of Wales, Suffolk and Norfolk.

I could make both of these. If i do, do you want them to be highly detailed, or do you want them to be low part/low detail versions.

5 hours ago, kapteenipirk said:

I believe you will also need some Arados for the Bismark and some Walruses for: the Prince of Wales, Suffolk and Norfolk.

I could make both of these. If i do, do you want them to be highly detailed, or do you want them to be low part/low detail versions.

I've already got an Arado, but I'm not sure if the German ships carried Arados on that specific mission. Same case for Prince of Wales too. I'd prefer they'd be around 50 parts if you proceed with building the Walruses.

On 29.4.2016 at 2:32 PM, SaturnianBlue said:

I've already got an Arado, but I'm not sure if the German ships carried Arados on that specific mission. Same case for Prince of Wales too. I'd prefer they'd be around 50 parts if you proceed with building the Walruses.

Alright.

1 hour ago, SaturnianBlue said:

I think the Bismarck at least carried a seaplane. I remember reading a written account of the hunt, and it said that the ship's captain attempted to get the logbooks back to France by launching them with the Bismarck's seaplane on a one way journey. Unfortunately for them, the catapult malfunctioned when they tried launching the plane, so this plan never came to fruition.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

Here is the Walrus i mentioned. I'm only putting up the static prop version (when it's mounted on the catapult) of this because the actual version doesn't work too well at this point.

Plus, i don't think that these thing even flew during the mission.

e4Uo0QF.pngy29H3Ba.png

It does have a 154 parts tough.

Let's just say that making the Walrus with only 50 or so parts is very, very difficult, as seaplanes usually are.

But, we could always make the fuselage out of mk-1 parts, but it would at that point be even less detailed than a Dinky toy.

32 minutes ago, kapteenipirk said:

Here is the Walrus i mentioned. I'm only putting up the static prop version (when it's mounted on the catapult) of this because the actual version doesn't work too well at this point.

Plus, i don't think that these thing even flew during the mission.

e4Uo0QF.pngy29H3Ba.png

It does have a 154 parts tough.

Let's just say that making the Walrus with only 50 or so parts is very, very difficult, as seaplanes usually are.

But, we could always make the fuselage out of mk-1 parts, but it would at that point be even less detailed than a Dinky toy.

I could try welding it though, considering it really didn't fly once, so even if the actual flying gets messed up, it should be alright.  :) 

Edited by SaturnianBlue

I just updated the Spitfire I have, it's still 1:1 scaled but has a few greatly needed tweaks to the shape, specifically the wing root and wing shape, along with major changes to the flight characteristics (Now it flies a lot more like expected, with fantastic control responsiveness). The top speed is also relatively close to the actual, at around 125 m/s. 

On 5.5.2016 at 9:34 AM, RixKillian said:

I just updated the Spitfire I have, it's still 1:1 scaled but has a few greatly needed tweaks to the shape, specifically the wing root and wing shape, along with major changes to the flight characteristics (Now it flies a lot more like expected, with fantastic control responsiveness). The top speed is also relatively close to the actual, at around 125 m/s. 

It's a very nice looking spit no doubt, but in your post you say the its a MK VI while the MK VI looks like this:

Btl7cG6.jpg

And the PR MK VI, aka the MK I type F looks like this:

cLHUvtL.jpg

Yours is more reminecent of the  PR MK XI or the MK VIII.

3 hours ago, kapteenipirk said:

It's a very nice looking spit no doubt, but in your post you say the its a MK VI while the MK VI looks like this:

Btl7cG6.jpg

And the PR MK VI, aka the MK I type F looks like this:

cLHUvtL.jpg

Yours is more reminecent of the  PR MK XI or the MK VIII.

Ah you're right - I'll definitely have to alter the wing shape, is there anything else you noticed about the body? Thanks for the feedback!

On 5.5.2016 at 5:22 PM, RixKillian said:

Ah you're right - I'll definitely have to alter the wing shape, is there anything else you noticed about the body? Thanks for the feedback!

No problem. If you want a full rundown on what to change, here i a pretty good pick showing the whole aircraft.

GIimvrA.jpg

Rigtig flotte modeller  :-)   ( jeg havde aldrig troet at ville finde sådan noget i kerbal space program )
Really beautifull models ;-)   ( i had never belived I would find such a topic in kerbal space program ).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.