The Battle Of The Denmark Strait Warship+Aircraft Pack (WIP, Several ways to help!)

3 minutes ago, Columbia said:

Yeah, May 24 is a bit ambitious IMO. I was actually expecting it to be done by July :wink:

How does Prince of Wales run in 1.0.5? 

Yep, Sonic Boom is what you get when you just follow release dates blindly and don't take your time to polish and tweak everything.

@Columbia Haven't tried Prince Of Wales in 1.0.5, I'm having trouble getting WW2Warships and Realships to work together. As for the camouflage, Norway had the camouflage. I'll try to weld some small bits of the ships to drive part count down, if it doesn't work I'll just go and do the "find and destroy way" of part reduction. There is also a discrepancy between Structural Panel and Deck plating colors by default...

@kapteenipirk My planned release dates are about as cautiously optimistic as possible, so I might have a couple gifs by May 24th, the date of the battle, but nothing much. (Attempts at being pessimistic do not bode well).

That said, Sinking Of Repulse and Prince Of Wales should be mildly more doable... The Battle Of The Denmark Strait is a really long term project especially.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

I'm currently working on reducing part count for German ships, I was doing so for the Bismarck (because the low part version I felt took too much detail away), and got it to 750 parts, but then the craft got messed up, so I'll try again, but I'll also be reducing Prinz Eugen's part count. I also tested the Swordfish, and the torpedo against the Prince Of Wales, though sadly it did not cause much damage. I'll try to get Prinz Eugen to 750-800 parts so I can have a mildly "saner" part count of 1500.

10 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

I'm currently working on reducing part count for German ships, I was doing so for the Bismarck (because the low part version I felt took too much detail away), and got it to 750 parts, but then the craft got messed up, so I'll try again, but I'll also be reducing Prinz Eugen's part count. I also tested the Swordfish, and the torpedo against the Prince Of Wales, though sadly it did not cause much damage. I'll try to get Prinz Eugen to 750-800 parts so I can have a mildly "saner" part count of 1500.

I hope I don't sound like I'm shrugging off the blame here, but I think your problem with the torpedo is probably due to the BD Armory warhead just not being powerful enough. After all, I don't think it was made to go up against Real Ships Hull Plating. 

I think there are probably two solutions. You could either clip a bunch of them together and hope it doesn't crash your game,  or you could tamper with the part's values in your game files and also hope it doesn't crash your game.

Here's the HMS Hood with less parts, down to 740, taking out 150 parts. I will take out a couple more before the final combat version.

oiLxXO0.jpg

Today is the 75th Anniversary Of The Battle Of The Denmark Strait. The HMS Hood was sunk, the Prince Of Wales damaged, and the Bismarck also damaged. 

Hmm, I'm stuck in a bit of a rut here. Once I finish the Prince Of Wales, I've pretty much run out of things to do, and considering the fact that Kerbpaint won't be updated immediately (though I haven't tried it in 1.1.2, since I'm on 1.1) and also how Realships refuses to work with WW2 Warships, I don't know what to do. Do any of you have any ideas for what to do from here? I could try to do the German scenes, but KSP 1.0.5 is almost assured to crash once things get going.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

2 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Hmm, I'm stuck in a bit of a rut here. Once I finish the Prince Of Wales, I've pretty much run out of things to do, and considering the fact that Kerbpaint won't be updated immediately (though I haven't tried it in 1.1.2, since I'm on 1.1) and also how Realships refuses to work with WW2 Warships, I don't know what to do. Do any of you have any ideas for what to do from here? I could try to do the German scenes, but KSP 1.0.5 is almost assured to crash once things get going.

Does Kerbpaint work in 1.0.5 for you? You might be able to film Prince of Wales in that version.

Also, you could use greenscreening as a last resort..

6 hours ago, Columbia said:

Does Kerbpaint work in 1.0.5 for you? You might be able to film Prince of Wales in that version.

Also, you could use greenscreening as a last resort..

Kerbapint does work in 1.0.5, so I thankfully was able to paint Prince Of Wales, but since it used Realships and Hood used WW2 Warships, they can't sail together, meaning that Prince Of Wales retreating is the only real scene I can do, which complicates any filming. Like you suggested, Greenscreen could work, but I probably won't use that. I'll see what i can do, but like in earlier photos Prince of Wales continues to suffer from listing so bad parts of the deck go under after a couple minutes.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

5 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Kerbapint does work in 1.0.5, so I thankfully was able to paint Prince Of Wales, but since it used Realships and Hood used WW2 Warships, they can't sail together, meaning that Prince Of Wales retreating is the only real scene I can do, which complicates any filming. Like you suggested, Greenscreen could work, but I probably won't use that. I'll see what i can do, but like in earlier photos Prince of Wales continues to suffer from listing so bad parts of the deck go under after a couple minutes.

Why is it that WW2 Warships and Realships don't go together? To be perfectly honest, I thought WW2 Warships was an extension of Realships.

Also, while you're stuck, I'd suggest you start filming the exit out of the Norway as that one will be pretty difficult, and start sorting out the usermade ships and locations for filming.

(A quick question, if you're on the Mac what will you use to film? Quicktime is pretty unreliable in my experience.)

12 hours ago, Columbia said:

Why is it that WW2 Warships and Realships don't go together? To be perfectly honest, I thought WW2 Warships was an extension of Realships.

Also, while you're stuck, I'd suggest you start filming the exit out of the Norway as that one will be pretty difficult, and start sorting out the usermade ships and locations for filming.

(A quick question, if you're on the Mac what will you use to film? Quicktime is pretty unreliable in my experience.)

I think RealShips succeeded WW2Warships, and I think it was something with the part ID's that screwed things up. 

I probably will start filming the Norway scenes once Prince Of Wales is partly fixed.

Unfourtunatly QuickTime is probably going to be what I film with.

14 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

I think RealShips succeeded WW2Warships, and I think it was something with the part ID's that screwed things up. 

I probably will start filming the Norway scenes once Prince Of Wales is partly fixed.

Unfourtunatly QuickTime is probably going to be what I film with.

Damn. How busy is your schedule? Any job-related/school related issues? This might take you damn long. The only thing I have left is rebuild Prince of Wales with WW2 Warships (that hurts to say), or at least try to use clever angles so that the Prince of Wales won't be in the same shots as the other ships are.. or greenscreen.

A sidenote, why'd you build Prince of Wales with Realships?

Also, I finished the Bf 109 E-4 pretty much, here's the craft file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvkxuwm7qtvg44q/Messerschmitt%20Bf%20109E-4.craft?dl=0

2 hours ago, Columbia said:

Damn. How busy is your schedule? Any job-related/school related issues? This might take you damn long. The only thing I have left is rebuild Prince of Wales with WW2 Warships (that hurts to say), or at least try to use clever angles so that the Prince of Wales won't be in the same shots as the other ships are.. or greenscreen.

A sidenote, why'd you build Prince of Wales with Realships?

Also, I finished the Bf 109 E-4 pretty much, here's the craft file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvkxuwm7qtvg44q/Messerschmitt%20Bf%20109E-4.craft?dl=0

School is almost over. I plan for now to wait and see if @Azimech can try and get the two working together, or I could try to see what I could do. Prince Of Wales was made with RealShips because it had just come out, and there were quite a few new features. 

Thanks for the Bf 109. :) 

Edited by SaturnianBlue

• 1 month later...

Good news: KerbPaint has been updated and works with KSP 1.1.3.

Just taught id give you a heads up if you haven't noticed it already.

EDIT: oh wait, didn't you have a non windows machine, dangit, i forgot about it.

Edited by kapteenipirk
Oh wait.

7 minutes ago, kapteenipirk said:

EDIT: oh wait, didn't you have a non windows machine, dangit, i forgot about it.

Yep, a MacBook Pro to be precise... 

1 hour ago, kapteenipirk said:

Wait, is has? Today is a good day, gentlemen!

Time to drop everything I'm doing and and get Real Ships, so I can fulfill my dream of making a real, submergeable U-boat!

On 25-7-2016 at 0:13 AM, pTrevTrevs said:

Wait, is has? Today is a good day, gentlemen!

Time to drop everything I'm doing and and get Real Ships, so I can fulfill my dream of making a real, submergeable U-boat!

Uh oh ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.